Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Default Re: 5s reviews are coming in!

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    If the exact same fingerprint scanning tech and applicability had been released on an Android device I wonder how different the reaction would be.
    People would love it, which is why I sometimes wish Motorola kept working on fingerprint technology after they released the Atrix.

Anyway, the iPhone 5s will probably spur another round of phones that will also have some form of biometric sensing technology, whether it deals with fingerprints or something else. It will be interesting to see what comes around the corner.

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    People would love it, which is why I sometimes wish Motorola kept working on fingerprint technology after they released the Atrix.

Anyway, the iPhone 5s will probably spur another round of phones that will also have some form of biometric sensing technology, whether it deals with fingerprints or something else. It will be interesting to see what comes around the corner.
    Yes indeed.

S IV
    Live long and prosper.

Global Posts
    21,553 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post
    You can do up to 5 fingers.
    The point is what happens when a biometric becomes compromised?

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    The point is what happens when a biometric becomes compromised?

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3
    Use another finger. Always have a backup.

The fingerprint scanner is what it is. We will have to wait and see how it holds up in everyday use, but I'm fairly certain it will do fine. That said, it's not a major selling feature. I would never jump the Android ship for a fingerprint scanner and a Candyland UI, but it's great for people already in the Apple ecosystem.

As for quadrant scores - who cares? The S4 beats out the Nexus 4 in every quadrant score and doesn't operate nearly as smooth.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

As for quadrant scores - who cares? The S4 beats out the Nexus 4 in every quadrant score and doesn't operate nearly as smooth.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    If you read the article, you would see that 5S beat the One and the S4 GPe. They were as close as pure Android as it gets. So TW and Sense were not a factor in the results. This was pure Android OS vs. IOS.

Somehow I think that your tune would be different had The Android handsets beat the 5s.

Sent from my iPhone 7
    Thanked by 2:
    kleeno 
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

What good is faster benchmarks going to do me when I'm not really going to notice it during regular real world use and have to trade Android's much bigger spectrum of capabilities for higher benchmark scores?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Rule9 View Post
    What good is faster benchmarks going to do me when I'm not really going to notice it during regular real world use and have to trade Android's much bigger spectrum of capabilities for higher benchmark scores?

iPhone is great for everyday real world use: phone, e-mail, texts, Facetime, web surfing, photos.....the features that real world people use every day. Maybe that is a reason that Apple U.S. market share is rising, and Android is falling.

From an article:

"Apple’s smartphone market share increased to 43.4 percent in the three-month period ending July 13, up from 35.6 percent in 2012′s equivalent quarter. Windows Phone also jumped up a half a percentage to 3.5 percent market share — a small number, perhaps, but still a healthy 17 percent year-over-year increase. Android dropped, however, from 58.7 percent market share to 51.1 percent.
    And that’s with no new devices from Apple in about a year.

Read more at iPhone up, Windows Phone up, Android down in latest mobile marketshare numbers | VentureBeat

And now the new ones are out! They won't catch Android, but will close the gap.

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I love Android but believe its value really comes in only when customized. I also believe that the type of person that will enjoy customizing their phone is the same type of person that will go into settings and want to investigate the ins-and-outs of their device. To me, this is representative of the android demographic but not the iOS demographic. In my experience, the iOS demographic are folks that just want to use their devices, sans fiddling, and have them work as easily as possible.

My .005 cents.

Two different platforms for two different types of users. Both successful.
    Last edited by Haalcyon; 09-20-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    Live long and prosper.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I love Android but believe its value really comes in only when customized. I also believe that the type of person that will enjoy customizing their phone is the same type of person that will go into settings and want to investigate the ins-and-outs of their device. To me, this is representative of the android demographic but not the iOS demographic. In my experience, the iOS demographic are folks that just want to use their devices, sans fiddling, and have them work as easily as possible.

My .005 cents.

To different platforms for two different types of users. Both successful.
    Very well stated.
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

That holds no more meaning towards which is the better OS than the benchmarks. iphones have always been strong because it's a good product with a solid mind share branding.

And it's still not as capable as Android notwithstanding.

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #37  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

And doesn't need to be. But for the features that both have, iPhone does them better and smoother, IMO. Apple seems to have more "thought out" features, instead of just throwing them in a system and calling them a feature.
    Now, don't get me wrong, as I love Android. But I think for the "non-tinkerer", that iPhone is a better fit.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

And doesn't need to be. But for the features that both have, iPhone does them better and smoother, IMO. Apple seems to have more "thought out" features, instead of just throwing them in a system and calling them a feature.
    Now, don't get me wrong, as I love Android. But I think for the "non-tinkerer", that iPhone is a better fit.

Sorry for the double post.

iphones have always been strong because it's a good product with a solid mind share branding.
    Maybe the "mind share branding" is the result of always having a great product.
    kleeno likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing iphones / iPads. I like them a lot for what they do, and you're right to say iOS doesn't need to be as good as Android in terms of sheer capability. But I'm pretty much the polar opposite of Apple's target audience, so for me, I have to have that kind of tech. I use most of Android's power functions quite heavily so it pretty much has to be my goto OS for mobile.

If Apple were to open up enough to allow my kind of usage, along with at least 4.7" display I will definitely consider them, but I really don't think their design philosophy will ever shift towards users like me enough.
    Heck, I was even rooting for MS to do some really neat things with WP8 but I can't shake the feeling that they're pretty much set on pissing away opportunities to actually put their mighty budget to good use.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by nj1266 View Post
    And that is not an amazing achievement in and of itself? You say this as if it is very easy to do. If it is so easy to do, then why don't the elite phones running Android do it. Why does Android need 4 cores at high MHz and 2 gigs to run relatively smoothly?

It is not one or two it is almost ALL the tests where the iPhone trounced the S4 and the One. The new LG also got bested but not as bad as the other Android flagships.

And you still insist that this is not impressive. Let me repeat so this can sink in: TWO core CPU running at 1.3 MHz is beating QUAD core CPUs running at 1.7, 1.9, and 2.4 MHz in almost every CPU and GPU test. That is what engineering is all about: Getting more from less. That is what efficiency is all about. That is what optimization does. All of that was done in the same old chassis of the ipohne 5.
    I think you're confusing the words "surprised" and "impressed." I never said that what they didn't wasn't impressive, just that I'm not surprised that they accomplished it. You seem taken back that I'm not surprised that Apple did something impressive. They do lots of impressive things so it's not surprising when they do something that's impressive. Is it really that bad to think highly of Apple's capabilities?

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

If the exact same fingerprint scanning tech and applicability had been released on an Android device I wonder how different the reaction would be.

Note 8.0
    Hey im platform un-biased. I don't like iphones as i find them to simple for me, I like a challenge. However, that being said I actually enjoy using macs, they're easy to use and remind me of Linux. That being said, as some of you may know, I am a big Linux advocate and run Mint on all of my own computer. The only reason i even touch Microsoft products, is because that's all my college will support. So i'm stuck learning C# and access databases and what no t for my software development degree. Not that I wanted to, I personally can not stand Microsoft or Apple. Although I won't argue, they do build some impressive products.
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by pappy53 View Post

Sorry for the double post.

Maybe the "mind share branding" is the result of always having a great product.
    Not all android OEMs just throw things into their phones to call them features. Thats mostly Samsungs doing that has earned that reputation for android. I mean compared to the other oems, they pretty much are the face of android. I do not see people comparing apple products to any other oem devices than Samsungs. Honestly Samsung does not even build quality products, Lg and Motorola are far superior. I have had far more problems with my s3 in a year and a half, then I had with my Optimus S in 3 years.

Samsung is misrepresenting Android, and I am personally glad to see them planning a departure from the platform (google tizen/samsung and intel os). They may have brought more exposure to the platform, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was good exposure. As all Android devices are judged based on how Samsung devices perform. It's sickening really, these apple/blackberry/windows phone users judge the entire platform based on the performance of one oem, who admittedly is not even doing that good of a job of leading them. It is as if they do not even acknowledge the existence of non Samsung android devices. Take for example the common misconception non android users have about android devices being cheap plastic, poor build quality devices. That mentality stemmed straight from Samsung, and they have only been reinforcing it.
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

If Apple were to open up enough to allow my kind of usage, along with at least 4.7" display I will definitely consider them, but I really don't think their design philosophy will ever shift towards users like me enough.
    I think if Apple faced overwhelming competition, they would change. For example, they could come up with an iPhone that could dual-boot iOS and Android, similar to how Macs can run OS X and Windows using Boot Camp. If such a hypothetical iPhone existed, few people would have a reason to switch to Android.

As for the larger screen size, I think Apple wants to position the iPad Mini to handle those needs. Still, an iPad Mini is not a phone, and that fact doesn't help people who need to make calls once in a while. Also, some people would prefer a device they could easily carry in their pocket. Apple will probably need to see a severe drop in iPhone sales before they put out a larger model. They are very dependent on hardware sales, so if that slips, they need to respond aggressively in order to hold onto their share of the market.

Note 8.0
    Motorolas own flagship phone of 2011, the Atrix, offered a fingerprint reader long before Apple. The Atrix, which is still being sold by Motorola today, integrates its fingerprint reader into the wake button on the back of the handset. Many people had issues with any moisture made it not work 100% of the time. It was simply a inefficient way to unlock a phone and people did not feel more secure using it. In the Atrix 2, they actually dropped this feature and I don't think anyone cared
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Motorolas own flagship phone of 2011, the Atrix, offered a fingerprint reader long before Apple. The Atrix, which is still being sold by Motorola today, integrates its fingerprint reader into the wake button on the back of the handset. Many people had issues with any moisture made it not work 100% of the time. It was simply a inefficient way to unlock a phone and people did not feel more secure using it. In the Atrix 2, they actually dropped this feature and I don't think anyone cared
    But the one on iPhone works basically 100% of the time. It is very efficient.

Sent from my Droid using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    Comparing a well implemented feature with something that doesn't work is misleading and pointless. Of course no one cared when they dropped it from the Atrix. The 5S implementation is hugely useful and efficient. You need to use it to get it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12