5s reviews are coming in!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If the exact same fingerprint scanning tech and applicability had been released on an Android device I wonder how different the reaction would be.

Note 8.0

Last edited:

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
If the exact same fingerprint scanning tech and applicability had been released on an Android device I wonder how different the the reaction would be.

Note 8.0

Good question. I think that a ton of Android users would be praising it, and some iPhone users would be downplaying it. But no way the number of Android fans that have bashed it on iPhone. It seems that a lot more Android fans troll the iPhone forums than vice-versa.:)

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
iPhones (and many Apple processors for other products) pretty much always have really good performance despite looking "worse" on paper.

And that is not an amazing achievement in and of itself? You say this as if it is very easy to do. If it is so easy to do, then why don't the elite phones running Android do it. Why does Android need 4 cores at high MHz and 2 gigs to run relatively smoothly?

One or two numbers don't tell the whole story of a processor comprised of billions of transistors.

It is not one or two it is almost ALL the tests where the iPhone trounced the S4 and the One. The new LG also got bested but not as bad as the other Android flagships.

They put a lot of work into exceeding the performance of any phone of the time and many phones that will be released soon after their iPhone. They pretty much have to to stay relevant for a whole year until their next release. They obviously have a lot of pride in the work they do. So no, I'm not surprised they yet again accomplished what they accomplish every year. This time they clearly put extra work into the processor, so it's an even safer bet.

And you still insist that this is not impressive. Let me repeat so this can sink in: TWO core CPU running at 1.3 MHz is beating QUAD core CPUs running at 1.7, 1.9, and 2.4 MHz in almost every CPU and GPU test. That is what engineering is all about: Getting more from less. That is what efficiency is all about. That is what optimization does. All of that was done in the same old chassis of the ipohne 5.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
If the exact same fingerprint scanning tech and applicability had been released on an Android device I wonder how different the reaction would be.

People would love it, which is why I sometimes wish Motorola kept working on fingerprint technology after they released the Atrix.

Anyway, the iPhone 5s will probably spur another round of phones that will also have some form of biometric sensing technology, whether it deals with fingerprints or something else. It will be interesting to see what comes around the corner.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
People would love it, which is why I sometimes wish Motorola kept working on fingerprint technology after they released the Atrix.

Anyway, the iPhone 5s will probably spur another round of phones that will also have some form of biometric sensing technology, whether it deals with fingerprints or something else. It will be interesting to see what comes around the corner.

Yes indeed.

S IV

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The fingerprint scanner is what it is. We will have to wait and see how it holds up in everyday use, but I'm fairly certain it will do fine. That said, it's not a major selling feature. I would never jump the Android ship for a fingerprint scanner and a Candyland UI, but it's great for people already in the Apple ecosystem.

As for quadrant scores - who cares? The S4 beats out the Nexus 4 in every quadrant score and doesn't operate nearly as smooth.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
As for quadrant scores - who cares? The S4 beats out the Nexus 4 in every quadrant score and doesn't operate nearly as smooth.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

If you read the article, you would see that 5S beat the One and the S4 GPe. They were as close as pure Android as it gets. So TW and Sense were not a factor in the results. This was pure Android OS vs. IOS.

Somehow I think that your tune would be different had The Android handsets beat the 5s.

Sent from my iPhone 7

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
What good is faster benchmarks going to do me when I'm not really going to notice it during regular real world use and have to trade Android's much bigger spectrum of capabilities for higher benchmark scores?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
What good is faster benchmarks going to do me when I'm not really going to notice it during regular real world use and have to trade Android's much bigger spectrum of capabilities for higher benchmark scores?

iPhone is great for everyday real world use: phone, e-mail, texts, Facetime, web surfing, photos.....the features that real world people use every day. Maybe that is a reason that Apple U.S. market share is rising, and Android is falling.

From an article:

"Apple’s smartphone market share increased to 43.4 percent in the three-month period ending July 13, up from 35.6 percent in 2012′s equivalent quarter. Windows Phone also jumped up a half a percentage to 3.5 percent market share — a small number, perhaps, but still a healthy 17 percent year-over-year increase. Android dropped, however, from 58.7 percent market share to 51.1 percent.
And that’s with no new devices from Apple in about a year.

Read more at iPhone up, Windows Phone up, Android down in latest mobile marketshare numbers | VentureBeat

And now the new ones are out! They won't catch Android, but will close the gap.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I love Android but believe its value really comes in only when customized. I also believe that the type of person that will enjoy customizing their phone is the same type of person that will go into settings and want to investigate the ins-and-outs of their device. To me, this is representative of the android demographic but not the iOS demographic. In my experience, the iOS demographic are folks that just want to use their devices, sans fiddling, and have them work as easily as possible.

My .005 cents.

Two different platforms for two different types of users. Both successful.

Last edited:

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I love Android but believe its value really comes in only when customized. I also believe that the type of person that will enjoy customizing their phone is the same type of person that will go into settings and want to investigate the ins-and-outs of their device. To me, this is representative of the android demographic but not the iOS demographic. In my experience, the iOS demographic are folks that just want to use their devices, sans fiddling, and have them work as easily as possible.

My .005 cents.

To different platforms for two different types of users. Both successful.

Very well stated.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
That holds no more meaning towards which is the better OS than the benchmarks. iphones have always been strong because it's a good product with a solid mind share branding.

And it's still not as capable as Android notwithstanding.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

And doesn't need to be. But for the features that both have, iPhone does them better and smoother, IMO. Apple seems to have more "thought out" features, instead of just throwing them in a system and calling them a feature.
Now, don't get me wrong, as I love Android. But I think for the "non-tinkerer", that iPhone is a better fit.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

And doesn't need to be. But for the features that both have, iPhone does them better and smoother, IMO. Apple seems to have more "thought out" features, instead of just throwing them in a system and calling them a feature.
Now, don't get me wrong, as I love Android. But I think for the "non-tinkerer", that iPhone is a better fit.

Sorry for the double post.

iphones have always been strong because it's a good product with a solid mind share branding.

Maybe the "mind share branding" is the result of always having a great product.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing iphones / iPads. I like them a lot for what they do, and you're right to say iOS doesn't need to be as good as Android in terms of sheer capability. But I'm pretty much the polar opposite of Apple's target audience, so for me, I have to have that kind of tech. I use most of Android's power functions quite heavily so it pretty much has to be my goto OS for mobile.

If Apple were to open up enough to allow my kind of usage, along with at least 4.7" display I will definitely consider them, but I really don't think their design philosophy will ever shift towards users like me enough.
Heck, I was even rooting for MS to do some really neat things with WP8 but I can't shake the feeling that they're pretty much set on pissing away opportunities to actually put their mighty budget to good use.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
And that is not an amazing achievement in and of itself? You say this as if it is very easy to do. If it is so easy to do, then why don't the elite phones running Android do it. Why does Android need 4 cores at high MHz and 2 gigs to run relatively smoothly?

It is not one or two it is almost ALL the tests where the iPhone trounced the S4 and the One. The new LG also got bested but not as bad as the other Android flagships.

And you still insist that this is not impressive. Let me repeat so this can sink in: TWO core CPU running at 1.3 MHz is beating QUAD core CPUs running at 1.7, 1.9, and 2.4 MHz in almost every CPU and GPU test. That is what engineering is all about: Getting more from less. That is what efficiency is all about. That is what optimization does. All of that was done in the same old chassis of the ipohne 5.
I think you're confusing the words "surprised" and "impressed." I never said that what they didn't wasn't impressive, just that I'm not surprised that they accomplished it. You seem taken back that I'm not surprised that Apple did something impressive. They do lots of impressive things so it's not surprising when they do something that's impressive. Is it really that bad to think highly of Apple's capabilities?