iPhone Camera Speed

longsock123

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
In order to ensure that I am not called a fanboy or iSheep, I have never owned, nor will I ever own, and iOS device. However, I am still in awe of how quickly iPhones take pictures. It seems to be faster than a lot of DSLR cameras out there, and is certainly faster than the likes of the HTC One, or the Note 3. Does anybody know why this is?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Faster than the DSLRs probably because of the size of the lens and optics. I know it's a lot faster than the Note 3, not sure about the One....

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone(s) have ways taken good photos. I don't know exactly how well it stacks up against the latest Android devices head to head. But I'd bet it'll beat out a good number of Android devices (higher spec'd devices). I do admit though, Android has been stepping up its game lately.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone(s) have ways taken good photos. I don't know exactly how well it stacks up against the latest Android devices head to head. But I'd bet it'll beat out a good number of Android devices (higher spec'd devices). I do admit though, Android has been stepping up its game lately.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Yeah, lately I think Android phones have been taking better shots than the iPhone 5. Could just be that I suck with an iPhone camera :p

Posted via Android Central App

longsock123

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I mean in terms of quality, the iPhone is edged out by some phones (Note 3, Lumia 1020, LG G2), but I have yet to see one of these faster photos, which is extremely useful in quick situations.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I mean in terms of quality, the iPhone is edged out by some phones (Note 3, Lumia 1020, LG G2), but I have yet to see one of these faster photos, which is extremely useful in quick situations.

It's the software, the Nexus 5 used to take really slow shots, and after the update it has become a lot faster. iPhones tend to be quicker to focus, and get the shot off

Posted via Android Central App

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone does video better than the Note 3 and blows it away in low light. The two devices aren't even on the same category, imo. Low light performance is one area where Samsung has failed consistently, and they only do slow motion video at 480p resolution which is worthless for anything you'd need to use that for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The iPhone does video better than the Note 3 and blows it away in low light. The two devices aren't even on the same category, imo. Low light performance is one area where Samsung has failed consistently, and they only do slow motion video at 480p resolution which is worthless for anything you'd need to use that for.

Maybe the 5S does, but the 5 didn't do well in low light either
The iPhone does slow-mo pretty well, but it's not 720p either

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the 5S does, but the 5 didn't do well in low light either
The iPhone does slow-mo pretty well, but it's not 720p either

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

iPhone does slow mo in 720p. So do HTC phones since 2011.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...cUvbUpU3455860%26subId2%3Dvbac&token=rDMcauhW

video cranks up the drama and, sometimes, the humor. The slo-mo feature on iPhone*5s lets you capture video at 120 frames per second in 720p.*

Why Compare a 5 to a N3? The 5 still does 60FPS @ 720p. It's still better than the Note and GS4 in low light.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

It's output to 720p,which means I won't have to fiddle with apps to export it, and it's 120fps. I'll take that any day over something I have to process myself and even do up sending someone a video their device has no code to view.

Even in those snaps you can see how bad the Note is in low light Compared to the iPhone.

I do sports. The rinks are lower light and maneuvers happen in fractions of a second. The iPhone camera is in another league Compared to the GS4 and N3.

Upgrading my phone tomorrow and other than HTC One there are no other considerations in the running for camera phones at the moment. Nokia cameras are great for video, but the software lacks the needed features for them to be useful during training for me. The iPhone smaller size is actually a huge advantage there.

Proper who need a bigger device just use 7" tablets. I also noticed the quality of analysis and video software is better on iOS than on Android, and it's been a particular pan point for me over the past couple of years.

The Note 3 isn't good enough, but updates can change that - but I'm no longer willing to wait for those.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

There are three areas where iPhone falls behind in video capture :
1.Mono Audio track and Poor Microphone Quality (Poor sound quality)
2.Lack of 4K recording
3.Very poor user control (All settings are locked down pretty much , If you carry a 16GB/32GB iPhone and want to take lot of 1080p video , its questionable situation , There is no option to set video to 720p for capturing more . locked down to 1080p)

Galaxy Note 3/S4 falls behind here :
1.OIS is terrible
2.Low light is questionable and flash is unnatural
3.Launch time more (but provides lot of settings for users though , its a trade off)

Overall , Both Cameras have cons , it comes down to users to pick their poison.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
4k recording. Yea okay. Waste of space.

Audio doesn't matter for sports analysis recording, which is what I do with my phone.

Settings are meh. There are apps that don't pop up a choice window so they're less annoying to install several on iOS. I can switch to 720p if I want.

The S4 has no OIS. Yes the camera launches slower and settings are nice but you spend a ton of time dogging for them. I have Camera+ on iOS for pictures and it's no different with the settings. The pictures my 5S takes on auto are better than what an S4 takes.

Low light on samsung phones are terrible currently.

The S4 records 4K? I don't see that option on it.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
4k recording. Yea okay. Waste of space.

Audio doesn't matter for sports analysis recording, which is what I do with my phone.

Settings are meh. There are apps that don't pop up a choice window so they're less annoying to install several on iOS. I can switch to 720p if I want.

The S4 has no OIS. Yes the camera launches slower and settings are nice but you spend a ton of time dogging for them. I have Camera+ on iOS for pictures and it's no different with the settings. The pictures my 5S takes on auto are better than what an S4 takes.

Low light on samsung phones are terrible currently.

The S4 records 4K? I don't see that option on it.

Well , its a matter of opinion.

GS4 or 5/5S don't possess 4K recording but Note III does.I never listed 4K as advantage because its a combined list of GS4 and Note III

There are things where GS4 excels and there are things where iPhone excels.

I prefer My Lumia's camera or Galaxy's over iPhone camera anyday.

You prefer iPhone camera :)

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
No. I prefer balance. Good video recording and photo quality not just one or the other.

There is a difference.

andrewsean7830

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
In addition to improvements in the native Camera and Photos apps, iOS 8 brings a host of new capabilities that can be used by third-party camera apps to put more power into the hands of the iPhone photographer.