No more Jailbreak for Apple users

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Apples has had it with all your "freedom". They're changing the locks.

The End Of The Jailbreak Era Is Upon Us

Apple is set to release IOS 7.1 any day now and as many jailbreakers now know thanks to access to the IOS 7.1 beta, this new IOS update will include patches that break the evasi0n jailbreak tool for good. This means that we?re likely to see a lengthy period, maybe even as long as a year, before another jailbreak is released.

The End Of The Jailbreak Era Is Upon Us - Forbes

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Haha. What's more interesting is when Google does this to Android. They are locking it down with each update, its only a matter of time before they won't allow root at all.

Posted via Android Central App

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I could care less. Apple really is about their "walled garden" approach, and it suits the large majority of their users.

I'm fine with that.

I have plenty of friends, and one brother who uses iPhones, iPads and Mac Pro laptops. Some of them don't even know what a jailbreak is, even after I've pointed it out several times on my facebook, ha! (Most of them have too many fb friends on their list... my posts might not be cutting through the bull$h1t3. ;) ) I don't mean to imply that none of them are interested in modifying their devices beyond stock, but the ones I know seem disinterested in the idea of even messing with too many settings. They only seem to care about the latest apps. The only exception to this is my brother, who uses his Macs for his work in graphic design. He does seem leery of the idea of jailbreaking, which he says might break some of the apps on his iPhone. Again, understandable.

I've pretty much modded every PC and Android device I've owned (on the software level, at least). I've had very few problems, and yes, I ACTUALLY GET WORK DONE! This is thanks to careful research, and mostly applying what I think will work for me. I don't do every damned tweak or mod out there, though I admire people that do it.

I'm sure if some of these Apple users want a mobile device that welcomes modding, they'll turn to those of us in the Android community for help, and actually buy a device to do it. Besides, they already spend tons on the Apple side. Don't get me started on the Apple Premium argument. It is a fair point, but I'm living proof that one can do plenty of work on much less. :)

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Haha. What's more interesting is when Google does this to Android. They are locking it down with each update, its only a matter of time before they won't allow root at all.

You're right about this. At least it isn't as severe a problem as it is with iOS... yet. They better not make it any harder on us who mod. Gotta run back to the books...

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
LOL, no they arent. The Nexus 5 is the easiest-to-root Android phone I have ever used. Unlocking it was literally a single command "OEM unlock". Rooting it was also the easiest of any Android phone I've used so far...and that includes the Nexus 4.

Whats more, there has always been very few reasons to root anyway. You can already access alternative markets. You can already sideload. You can already install whatever launchers you want. You can already share media freely with whatever app you want. You can already make any app the default for any action and integrate it at the OS level...you don't need to break out of jail because on Android you are never in jail. You get all these features by default.

What ways are they locking down Android for the end user?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I could care less. Apple really is about their "walled garden" approach, and it suits the large majority of their users.
Well...when Android's flexibility has come up in threads on here, Apple supporters are quick to say that doesn't matter because of jailbreak. So it will become an issue to at least some people.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
LOL, no they arent. The Nexus 5 is the easiest-to-root Android phone I have ever used. Unlocking it was literally a single command "OEM unlock". Rooting it was also the easiest of any Android phone I've used so far...and that includes the Nexus 4.

Whats more, there has always been very few reasons to root anyway. You can already access alternative markets. You can already sideload. You can already install whatever launchers you want. You can already share media freely with whatever app you want. You can already make any app the default for any action and integrate it at the OS level...you don't need to break out of jail because on Android you are never in jail. You get all these features by default.

What ways are they locking down Android for the end user?

You say that about the Nexus devices but what about the mainstream devices that are in the most hands?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
They aren't locked by Google. They're locked by OEM's and/or carriers.

Its for security reasons mostly. There is little and smaller reasons to root anyways. I can see if you are rooting to use data tethering. But other than that I don't see it.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Its for security reasons mostly. There is little and smaller reasons to root anyways. I can see if you are rooting to use data tethering. But other than that I don't see it.

Tweaking system settings like using hardware EGL drivers for the GPU instead of the software drivers requires rooting. This is true of most lower end devices. There are hidden things to tweak on most devices; changing those settings requires rooting. It is less of an issue with many current devices, I'll admit, but some users want that extra edge. For my Kyocera Event (a lower end phone), I've debloated it of software that can be downloaded from Google Play + the Virgin Mobile software I don't care for. I also tweaked the timeout for 3G and WiFi, and the EGL fix. Its bootloader is locked down, so no Custom ROMs or recoveries will ever end up on this phone (and others that are as locked down).

This is one good thing about Apple's phones and tablets: they don't come with the bloatware that carriers put on other devices (with the exception of the Nexus line).

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

That has nothing to do with your claim. You claimed Google is locking down the bootloaders for Android. JeffDenver pointed out that Google doesn't do it on their phones and I pointed out that Google doesn't control it on the other phones. So what does what I quoted have to do with any of that?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That has nothing to do with your claim. You claimed Google is locking down the bootloaders for Android. JeffDenver pointed out that Google doesn't do it on their phones and I pointed out that Google doesn't control it on the other phones. So what does what I quoted have to do with any of that?

What the carriers and OEMs do, is what I was talking about. I replied to Jeff already.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
You say that about the Nexus devices but what about the mainstream devices that are in the most hands?
They are hard to Root, I agree. But they are not "real" Android. The reason they are hard to root is because they have been alterned from real Android.

Android is easy to root. Specific vendors have chosen to make that difficult. But unlike iOS, we have a choice on Android. We can choose to buy phones that are easy to root if that is what we want. iOS has no similar options.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Its for security reasons mostly.
I agree. So what? The end users should be the one to make that decision, not the vendor or manufacturer.

Android gives you the option to bypass this security if you want to. iOS has never done that officially, and is actively working to stop you from even having the option to do it at all.

There is little and smaller reasons to root anyways.
I agree. On Android, there is little reason to root. There are a lot more reasons to jailbreak on iOS though. Many of the things we take for granted on Android can only be done on iOS via Jailbreaking.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
This is one good thing about Apple's phones and tablets: they don't come with the bloatware that carriers put on other devices (with the exception of the Nexus line).
Again...this is not an Android thing. it is a Carrier/OEM thing. It is not Android that has a bloatware problem.

And it is not just Nexus tablets that are bloat free. Any device that uses vanilla android is bloat free.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
What the carriers and OEMs do, is what I was talking about. I replied to Jeff already.
We're just pointing out that you claimed it was Google doing it before. You didn't say it was OEM's and carriers until now.

I also agree that there's not a whole lot of reason to root. That doesn't mean we can't be correct about who's locking it down.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Rooting, Jailbreak etc arent necessary steps for everyone. I have an iPhone and it is not Jailbroken. I have the apps i need for my daily activities, leisure, productive etc. I also have a Nexus 7, which I haven?t done anything to, except install the Google Now Launcher. Most people don?t need to mess with their devices. Most fine their devices just fine the way they bought them.

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Rooting, Jailbreak etc are necessary steps for everyone. I have an iPhone and it is not Jailbroken. I have the apps i need for my daily activities, leisure, productive etc. I also have a Nexus 7, which I haven?t done anything to, except install the Google Now Launcher. Most people don?t need to mess with their devices. Most fine their devices just fine the way they bought them.

I think that's obvious, but this was probably directed towards the people who do like to tinker with their phones. Those are the people who will care

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
We're just pointing out that you claimed it was Google doing it before. You didn't say it was OEM's and carriers until now.

I also agree that there's not a whole lot of reason to root. That doesn't mean we can't be correct about who's locking it down.

I was all along replying to the second part of your post. Sorry if you got confused.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
They are hard to Root, I agree. But they are not "real" Android. The reason they are hard to root is because they have been alterned from real Android.

Android is easy to root. Specific vendors have chosen to make that difficult. But unlike iOS, we have a choice on Android. We can choose to buy phones that are easy to root if that is what we want. iOS has no similar options.

I completely agree with everything you just said.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. So what? The end users should be the one to make that decision, not the vendor or manufacturer.

Android gives you the option to bypass this security if you want to. iOS has never done that officially, and is actively working to stop you from even having the option to do it at all.

I agree. On Android, there is little reason to root. There are a lot more reasons to jailbreak on iOS though. Many of the things we take for granted on Android can only be done on iOS via Jailbreaking.

Again everything you said I agree with,

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois