iPhone 5C crowned worst gadget of 2013 by Engadget

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I think this is directly related to the hype surrounding it. If they had priced it like a mid or low end phone, it probably would have done well. But they released a slightly watered down version of the 5S with high end pricing. I'm not sure what the point of this product was.

iphone5cbg.jpg

Worst Product of the Year: Apple iPhone 5c

The winners of the 2013 Engadget Awards -- Readers' Choice

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Indeed as Apple don't do budget devices so what exactly was the 5c?

Its a confusing product tbh not the phone itself but what was it meant to be?

So yes I can get with why it would be categorised as the worst device of 2013.

Sent From the one the only the magnificent Note 3.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It was an awful idea. They need to just stick to their pattern of using previous flagships as their low end devices. Since they have no competition when it comes to iOS anyway, there is really no reason for a product like this.

I know people who bought it, but they were people who otherwise would have bought a 5S anyway.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
To me, the 5C was just another method for Apple to maximize profit. I would have much prefered the iPhone 5 model to slide into that slot.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
If they had priced it like a mid or low end phone, it probably would have done well.

I feel that Apple doesn't want to make mid- or low-end devices. They don't want to participate in a race to the bottom. Still, if the iPhone 5c is not doing well, they can change it or discontinue it.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
They need to just stick to their pattern of using previous flagships as their low end devices.

Back when the iPhone 5 first came on the market, I heard reports that it was very difficult to manufacture consistently, and there would be a large number of iPhones that wouldn't pass Apple's quality control inspection. So perhaps it was easier for Apple to kill the iPhone 5 instead of investing more resources into improving the manufacturing process. Apple would then be free to concentrate more on the newer iPhone 5s.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Back when the iPhone 5 first came on the market, I heard reports that it was very difficult to manufacture consistently, and there would be a large number of iPhones that wouldn't pass Apple's quality control inspection. So perhaps it was easier for Apple to kill the iPhone 5 instead of investing more resources into improving the manufacturing process. Apple would then be free to concentrate more on the newer iPhone 5s.

It's funny you all are having a conversation on how bad the iPhone 5C is doing when it's doing very well actually. This whole topic is hilarious. iPhone 5C sales are great lol.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It's funny you all are having a conversation on how bad the iPhone 5C is doing when it's doing very well actually. This whole topic is hilarious. iPhone 5C sales are great lol.

I'm just merely making a comment on why we don't see the iPhone 5 on sale anymore. If Apple continued making the iPhone 5 instead of introducing the iPhone 5c, would sales be better?

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm just merely making a comment on why we don't see the iPhone 5 on sale anymore. If Apple continued making the iPhone 5 instead of introducing the iPhone 5c, would sales be better?

Who cares. The phone is selling great as it was supposed to. It is not failing at all. So why a topic on a failing device that isn't failing?

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I think the 5c has the same specs as the 5. Personally I would rather have the 5 because it doesn't have the plastic on it with the bright colors.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the 5c has the same specs as the 5. Personally I would rather have the 5 because it doesn't have the plastic on it with the bright colors.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Although the Verizon 5c and 5s are factory sim unlocked, The Verizon 5c fully supports all bands including 4GLTE on AT&T and tmobile. The Verizon 5 doesn't support 4GLTE outside of Verizon.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Who cares. The phone is selling great as it was supposed to. It is not failing at all.

Some people would prefer the iPhone 5 instead of the iPhone 5c. We just don't have an official reason why the iPhone 5 was discontinued, especially when the older iPhone 4s is still for sale.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Some people would prefer the iPhone 5 instead of the iPhone 5c. We just don't have an official reason why the iPhone 5 was discontinued, especially when the older iPhone 4s is still for sale.

The 5c is cheaper to produce than the 5

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
So, do you think people prefer the iPhone 5c over the iPhone 5? If so, it would make sense for Apple to discontinue the iPhone 5.

I think it's easy to say people would have enjoyed the iPhone 5 form factor over the 5C. However Apple chose another route, which was a very successful one.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the 5C could have been Apple's chance to help boost sales in other countries. As almost every other country buys phones outright (to my knowledge, there is no subsidized phones outside the U.S.) There have been quite a few people on this forum that have said it is far too expensive to buy an Apple product, and that is why Android has an edge over them.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc