Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Default iPhone 5C crowned worst gadget of 2013 by Engadget

I think this is directly related to the hype surrounding it. If they had priced it like a mid or low end phone, it probably would have done well. But they released a slightly watered down version of the 5S with high end pricing. I'm not sure what the point of this product was.

Worst Product of the Year: Apple iPhone 5c

The winners of the 2013 Engadget Awards -- Readers' Choice

Indeed as Apple don't do budget devices so what exactly was the 5c?

Its a confusing product tbh not the phone itself but what was it meant to be?

So yes I can get with why it would be categorised as the worst device of 2013.

Sent From the one the only the magnificent Note 3.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM

Default Re: iPhone 5C crowned worst gadget of 2013 by Engadget

It was an awful idea. They need to just stick to their pattern of using previous flagships as their low end devices. Since they have no competition when it comes to iOS anyway, there is really no reason for a product like this.

I know people who bought it, but they were people who otherwise would have bought a 5S anyway.

Nobody cares what endgaget says. iPhone 5C sales are stellar. Owners love there look and feel.
    Great art stretches the taste, it doesnt follow tastes
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,480 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by phonejunky View Post
    Nobody cares what endgaget says. iPhone 5C sales are stellar.
    Uh huh

Apple introduces 8 GB iPhone 5c in five markets to help boost disappointing sales

Apple introduces 8 GB iPhone 5c in five markets to help boost disappointing sales | 9to5Mac

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Uh huh
    On the flip side: iPhone 5C 'outsold rival Android, Windows Phone handsets at Christmas' - Tech News - Digital Spy

From my time as an iSheep, I learned that "disappointing" to Apple really means "isn't beating every other phone on the planet (except the 5S)".

(I think it was a given that it would outsell Windows Phone, but Android?)
    Thanked by:

To me, the 5C was just another method for Apple to maximize profit. I would have much prefered the iPhone 5 model to slide into that slot.

If they had priced it like a mid or low end phone, it probably would have done well.
    I feel that Apple doesn't want to make mid- or low-end devices. They don't want to participate in a race to the bottom. Still, if the iPhone 5c is not doing well, they can change it or discontinue it.
    phonejunky likes this.

They need to just stick to their pattern of using previous flagships as their low end devices.
    Back when the iPhone 5 first came on the market, I heard reports that it was very difficult to manufacture consistently, and there would be a large number of iPhones that wouldn't pass Apple's quality control inspection. So perhaps it was easier for Apple to kill the iPhone 5 instead of investing more resources into improving the manufacturing process. Apple would then be free to concentrate more on the newer iPhone 5s.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    Back when the iPhone 5 first came on the market, I heard reports that it was very difficult to manufacture consistently, and there would be a large number of iPhones that wouldn't pass Apple's quality control inspection. So perhaps it was easier for Apple to kill the iPhone 5 instead of investing more resources into improving the manufacturing process. Apple would then be free to concentrate more on the newer iPhone 5s.

It's funny you all are having a conversation on how bad the iPhone 5C is doing when it's doing very well actually. This whole topic is hilarious. iPhone 5C sales are great lol.

It's funny you all are having a conversation on how bad the iPhone 5C is doing when it's doing very well actually. This whole topic is hilarious. iPhone 5C sales are great lol.
    I'm just merely making a comment on why we don't see the iPhone 5 on sale anymore. If Apple continued making the iPhone 5 instead of introducing the iPhone 5c, would sales be better?

I'm just merely making a comment on why we don't see the iPhone 5 on sale anymore. If Apple continued making the iPhone 5 instead of introducing the iPhone 5c, would sales be better?
    Who cares. The phone is selling great as it was supposed to. It is not failing at all. So why a topic on a failing device that isn't failing?

I think the 5c has the same specs as the 5. Personally I would rather have the 5 because it doesn't have the plastic on it with the bright colors.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by phoneaddict78 View Post
    I think the 5c has the same specs as the 5. Personally I would rather have the 5 because it doesn't have the plastic on it with the bright colors.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app
    Although the Verizon 5c and 5s are factory sim unlocked, The Verizon 5c fully supports all bands including 4GLTE on AT&T and tmobile. The Verizon 5 doesn't support 4GLTE outside of Verizon.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Who cares. The phone is selling great as it was supposed to. It is not failing at all.
    Some people would prefer the iPhone 5 instead of the iPhone 5c. We just don't have an official reason why the iPhone 5 was discontinued, especially when the older iPhone 4s is still for sale.

Some people would prefer the iPhone 5 instead of the iPhone 5c. We just don't have an official reason why the iPhone 5 was discontinued, especially when the older iPhone 4s is still for sale.
    The 5c is cheaper to produce than the 5

Thanked by 2:
    phonejunky and Scott7217 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    The 5c is cheaper to produce than the 5

What he said.

What he said.
    So, do you think people prefer the iPhone 5c over the iPhone 5? If so, it would make sense for Apple to discontinue the iPhone 5.

So, do you think people prefer the iPhone 5c over the iPhone 5? If so, it would make sense for Apple to discontinue the iPhone 5.
    I think it's easy to say people would have enjoyed the iPhone 5 form factor over the 5C. However Apple chose another route, which was a very successful one.

Global Posts
    17,656 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I think the 5C could have been Apple's chance to help boost sales in other countries. As almost every other country buys phones outright (to my knowledge, there is no subsidized phones outside the U.S.) There have been quite a few people on this forum that have said it is far too expensive to buy an Apple product, and that is why Android has an edge over them.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Probably not. But I don't think most people looking to buy a last gen spec iPhone are bothered enough to not buy it because of the plastic shell.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,100 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Uh huh
    The 5s is #1 on all 4 major U.S.carriers, and the 5c is #2 or #3, depending on the carrier. Not too bad.

I think it's easy to say people would have enjoyed the iPhone 5 form factor over the 5C. However Apple chose another route, which was a very successful one.
    So, the current lineup of iPhones includes the 5s, the 5c, and the 4s. What would be the disadvantage of discontinuing the iPhone 4s and keeping the iPhone 5 instead?

So, the current lineup of iPhones includes the 5s, the 5c, and the 4s. What would be the disadvantage of discontinuing the iPhone 4s and keeping the iPhone 5 instead?
    Cost to make the 5 over the iPhone 4.

Uh huh
    You should probably catch up on your tech reading. You seem to be behind on the success of the iPhone 5C lol. Ignorance is bliss I guess lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast