IOS4.....Are you kidding me?

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
There has been a lot of bickering going back and forth between the apple and android fan boys for a while. Up until now I would just watch and observe because I found it to be quite humorous . Well yesterday the girlfriend bought me an Ipod touch 4th gen. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the new ipod pretty much an Iphone minus the phone? IOS seems so basic to me as an OS. It reminds me of a slightly better version of my Samsung Instinct. I have multiple screens with apps on it and that's it just apps. No widgets or nothing. I have an EVO running the Sense UI and I have 7 screens that I can customize until my heart is content. I just thought with all of the rants and raves coming from the Apple camp, I was expecting a lot more. Not an OS that feels like it is stuck on rails. I am pretty sure IOS was groundbreaking in 2007. The thing is this is not 2007.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It's more evolution and not revolution with ios4 imho.

Widgets are an android thing and I think apple will knock one out of the park with os 5...BB on the other hand, well nevermind.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I think of it like this: Android is for people who know a thing about tech, while my Grandparents could use an Iphone.

qst4

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
The iphone is just an App Launcher. Period! Android takes it a step beyond. With Widgets you have immediate access to information and functions you deem important, as such Android takes on a more active role in information management. I think the iphones real flaw, and my reason for not wanting one, is it being anchored to apps, pages and pages of them and most of which are not used regularly.

anon(25828)

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I now hate the iOS platform

Was the first adopter of iPhone (back when it was $600...ugh), and enjoyed the platform thoroughly. Moved out of an AT&T covered area (thank God, got me out of my contract :p ), and had to go to T-Mobile. Went to Blackberry OS, then WinMo 6.5, and finally Android. Android is simply the most productive mobile OS platform I've used. The on hand information and the most useful feature, the notification bar, make the phone a joy to use.

I played with an iPhone 4 for a good hour at Best Buy...it was aggravating. No quick menu key (couldn't go to setting straight from home screen, etc), no pinch to preview home screen (it's really aggravating having to swipe through each home screen now that I'm used to not having to do it), and no widgets solidify me in not wanting to ever go back to iOS unless a major overhaul takes place in iOS 5. Oh, and get rid of that atrocious dock connector already and go with the de facto standard microUSB.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy, but iOS is really more of a feature-phone platform, and lacks the productivity of the Android OS. An iPod with a built in phone, rather than a smartphone with a built in iPod.

Thought about getting an TV, but I'm not sure I'm into the whole Apple ecosystem anymore. Back when I migrated to macs in 2004, the company had more of a concierge feel to it. Now it seems they're going the pathway of Dell, propagating to the masses rather than catering to a select market. And we all see how well Dell has turned out. Plus, Windows 7 is actually a great OS (who knew Microsoft would actually pull a decent OS off? :p )

Sorry for the tangent. Anyways...The little green robot has made the apple into juice. :)

MANdroid5000

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
For me iOS's superiority lay not in its features but in the very intangibles that are impossible to put into a bullet point of product specs and so least likely to appeal to someone who was clearly born in 1990...

The difference is in the refinement of the touch screen mechanism...the primary/only medium of interaction between user and device. You'd have to be on crack to say Android's touch input is as satisfying as iOS. It's the thousand little things...the better pinch and zoom, the better inertial scrolling and rubber-banding of the ends, the more consistent scrolling behaviors (there seem to be discrepancies between Android apps whereas on iOS the only difference is whether reaching the rubber-band area automatically triggers a content refresh or not).

And don't get me started on how much better iOS's cut-copy-paste is.

Perhaps it's the price one pays for freedom in Android...an OS that is rough around the edges, because the OS itself is on the cutting edge.

iOS does less than Android, this is unquestionable...but it does it better. It is a different mindset--perhaps beyond the grasp of those who give us such manifestations of literary excellence as "No widgets or nothing" and "I have 7 screens that I can customize until my heart is content." (the phrase you were looking for was "to my heart's content," champ). Maybe you'll understand when you're older...

I have a Vibrant and while the hardware is unquestionably superior to my Palm Pre Plus and iPhone 3GS, in the UI experience I would put it in a distant third behind the iPhone and the Palm Pre (and the Pre would be ahead of the iPhone thanks to its brilliant multitasking and notifications). That's just the way I see it.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I give iOS one thing, it's smooth and feels polished.

I call it the "Fisherprice phone of smartphones", any 6 year old can use it. To the general public that never digs around the options or settings screen of anything, that's exactly what they want, for us techy people, it's boring.

Apples makes it pretty, makes it easy, and weighs it down with its own set of rules and laws, and for the average Joe, it works.

Guess most of us aren't average?

D

darktanone

Android is unpolished and feels like a work in progress. A perpetual beta much like most other Google apps. Features are bolted on and never feel integrated. The multi touch features are jerky and inconsistent. It feels rushed and not well thought out. It has a lot of features and customization options, but t's clunky and awkward. Reminds me of Windows 3.1 running CoreDRAW. Ugg! Absolutely hideous.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Apples have nice screens. That's really the only edge I can give it over my Samsung. My Samsung's screen is bigger and brighter but the iPhone's is crisper. Otherwise, yeah- it's just a screen of apps. The fact that you can't have widgets or customize your screens at all is a major shortcoming. Android is so much better.

Pakk1969

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Get over yourselves ...

It's sad that so many of you feel the need to denigrate the iPhone in order to feel good about yourselves. I use both, and unlike most of you, I am quite familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of both phones. While Android does have some advantages, it is neither as polished nor as tightly-integrated an experience as iOS. Personally, I judge a phone by how well it does the tasks I ask of it, and not by how many clock widgets and launcher themes are available online. When it comes to customizability, Android wins the prize. When it comes to usability and reliability, iPhone wins the prize. Android uses an outdated and battery-killing approach to multitasking. iOS won't let me overclock the CPU. But, the proof is in the pudding. When I have work to get done on the road, I use my iPhone. When I want to flash kaosfroyo to an Eris or play around with new lock screens, I use Android. You figure out which one is more important.

Damn bunch of noobs. Stay the hell out of my begonias!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
and with that...welcome to the forums :).

You do realize this is an android site, and as much as we bash the iphone it's not as bad as crackberry.com.

I have an ipod touch, not the phone but my co-worker who sits next to me does.
3 generations to get cut and paste?
3 generations to get a landscape keyboard?

Android has too much going for it. It's not as regulated because its multiple manufacturers and devices.

Why does moto have the magnet for navigation mode but HTC's don't?
Why do some new devices have the older os?

Apple has a great model and it works. That being said, I hate scrolling through unlimited screens on my kids (and wife's) touch before the new ios4 came out.

And even though I will never go back to BB, the Iphone has the most gorgeous display I have ever seen on a phone, as well as the most accurate keyboard.

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
and with that...welcome to the forums :).

You do realize this is an android site, and as much as we bash the iphone it's not as bad as crackberry.com.

I have an ipod touch, not the phone but my co-worker who sits next to me does.
3 generations to get cut and paste?
3 generations to get a landscape keyboard?

Android has too much going for it. It's not as regulated because its multiple manufacturers and devices.

Why does moto have the magnet for navigation mode but HTC's don't?
Why do some new devices have the older os?

Apple has a great model and it works. That being said, I hate scrolling through unlimited screens on my kids (and wife's) touch before the new ios4 came out.

And even though I will never go back to BB, the Iphone has the most gorgeous display I have ever seen on a phone, as well as the most accurate keyboard.

Maybe he needs a pacifier..

bish0p34

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
When it comes to usability and reliability, iPhone wins the prize. Android uses an outdated and battery-killing approach to multitasking. iOS won't let me overclock the CPU. But, the proof is in the pudding. When I have work to get done on the road, I use my iPhone. When I want to flash kaosfroyo to an Eris or play around with new lock screens, I use Android. You figure out which one is more important.

If it comes to usability and reliability, I use my Samsung Captivate. I like being able to make a phone call and keep it. When Apple figures that out, call me on my Android!

I have a Samsung Captivate and an iPhone4. I miss certain things when I'm using the Cap, but it's a completely superior communication device...and that's what I bought it to be. The iPhone does run a little smoother, yes. It has a better camera and video camera by far. The bluetooth and voice command integration is better than Android. The iPhone 4 has a better battery life. The App store is waaaaay larger, but I bought a phone not a toy, so this is moot to me.

However, the iPhone has a horrible notification system as you can't turn pop ups off??? Seriously? They stop almost every function in the phone every time you get an SMS. Every video must be converted to their proprietary format...why? You can't have the spell checker on if you don't have the auto-correct on (notorious for changing words on you)...again WTF? I had a lot of app crashes (Apple doesn't tell you it crashed, they just bounce you back to the home screen...very sneaky). I had my user library file become corrupt twice in 6 months and I couldn't even backup my contacts as it wouldn't sync without a factory reset. You're bound to ONE computer...what happens if that dies? My bass player's 3G had a way better phone signal than mine did...I never dropped that many calls on any other phone...mine was totally unreliable as a phone! I had to reinsert the SIM constantly or it would read No Service (I think I had a bad SIM card though). And Apple Care? Those idiots were useless to help with the SIM issue. An hour on the phone with them and they were of no help. 2 minutes on Google and I figured out the problem.

I know I'll find some bugs in the Captivate too...THEY ALL have them. In the first week of owning each, I find myself loving the Captivate far more, and feel the keyboard is much more accurate for typing. I had a frustrating experience with the Apple that was far less magical than it's made out to be.

mac16

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
It's sad that so many of you feel the need to denigrate the iPhone in order to feel good about yourselves. I use both, and unlike most of you, I am quite familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of both phones. While Android does have some advantages, it is neither as polished nor as tightly-integrated an experience as iOS. Personally, I judge a phone by how well it does the tasks I ask of it, and not by how many clock widgets and launcher themes are available online. When it comes to customizability, Android wins the prize. When it comes to usability and reliability, iPhone wins the prize. Android uses an outdated and battery-killing approach to multitasking. iOS won't let me overclock the CPU. But, the proof is in the pudding. When I have work to get done on the road, I use my iPhone. When I want to flash kaosfroyo to an Eris or play around with new lock screens, I use Android. You figure out which one is more important.

An eris? Hate to inform you but a lot has changed since that abomination of a phone came out.

Currently my X KILLS the battery life of the previous iphone 4 I had before I switched from att. I dont really think your theory about "battery killing" multitasking holds any weight at all. I really don't understand what isn't polished tbh. My phone has never crashed, I have never had apps freeze up or anything that would make me think unpolished. Never dropped a call, and routinely get service in buildings my iphone would have nothing.

I would advise you to get one of the current phones running froyo with a 1ghz processor before you make any of the previous statements.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The problem is this. For work I use my dinc. For play I use my wife's touch. She is getting the iPhone come April.

Ios is simplistic but powerful but heck my 3 yr old knows how to use it. Same can't be said for android. Honestly though apple makes 1phone and has yet to get it right other than introducing new models with cut and paste, MLS and landscape keyboards. Android has dozens of phones and still is pretty current across the board.

I do think that too many android devices becomes a problem down the road. As Steve points out people want the choice made for them and that is where he gets his rocks off. His 1984 commercial can be reversed now. It is android swinging the sledge at the screen.

On wifi my wife's touch lasts about 4 he's without charging. My dinc gets me 8 hrs.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek