iOS 8, Your Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Essential Reading to catch up:

Everything we learned about iOS 8 today at WWDC 2014 | iMore

iOS 8 is now announced with all the features that are going to come on the upcoming iPhone 6. So the only we don't know about the iPhone 6 for sure is the hardware but software will essentially be what they showed off today so, what do the people of AC think about it?

Posted via Android Central App

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Looks good! I have always loved the way iPhones look, and how well they are built! If they make one with a 6in screen I will buy it!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Looks good! I have always loved the way iPhones look, and how well they are built! If they make one with a 6in screen I will buy it!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

You'll be waiting a few years then.

Posted via Android Central App

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Its pretty much halted my plans of being a OnePlus One when that gets a full release. All the improvements to the OS will definitely make my 5s much more useable over the next year. probably will just stick with my 5s/iPad Mini combo and finally ditch the Moto G for good.

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
It looks pretty good! I still like the control that Android gives you, but the design, the thought put into features, and the quality of apps is second to none on iOS.

Last edited:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
What is interesting to me is that CrackBerry and WPCentral has like 2-4 trending posts about iOS 8 and AC only has 2 threads that don't have half as many replies as their trending posts. I see this as the fact WP fans and BlackBerry fans are scared they are going to get squeezed out by Apple and I can't blame them. I actually read all the WPCentral ones and some people there are thinking on switching to iOS while those on Crackberry are just Apple bashing.

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
What is interesting to me is that CrackBerry and WPCentral has like 2-4 trending posts about iOS 8 and AC only has 2 threads that don't have half as many replies as their trending posts. I see this as the fact WP fans and BlackBerry fans are scared they are going to get squeezed out by Apple and I can't blame them. I actually read all the WPCentral ones and some people there are thinking on switching to iOS while those on Crackberry are just Apple bashing.

Yeah I gave Windows Phone a shot and while it does some things really well, it's the lack of a goal and the fact that they're always two steps behind in features (and don't have anything else in return). iOS just does the locked down experience that WP is trying to do better. iOS is becoming a very tempting platform, and I may go back to it if they do it right (please, no more iTunes!).

Knightflt

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I I don't know of guys I have been a long time iOS guy and jailbreaking in from as far back as I can remember the only time you can achieve even the simplest mod to the ios is by means of a jailbreak than you can't update without loosing your mods, and as far as I know which is limited knowledge at the moment with Android is rooting is the same way BUT I have done more modes out of box without rooting my galaxy s5 than I ever did to my iOS and all out of the play store. Yes I know there will be ios8 coming soon but it will be all the same ****. Now apple like's you to believe that they are ahead in innovation but the truth be known if you look at all there new iOS upgrades as far as new eye candy and new tweaks it has been stuff that they stole from Cydia that developers have had for a long time... But they like to take the credit for lol and every time you turn around apple is trying to sue Android and who ever else they can sue for that matter lol all I can say is compared to Android the iPhone is a kids phone I will never go back now that I have been converted lol :) but everyone has a choice no matter what they do in life to each their own

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I gave Windows Phone a shot and while it does some things really well, it's the lack of a goal and the fact that they're always two steps behind in features (and don't have anything else in return). iOS just does the locked down experience that WP is trying to do better. iOS is becoming a very tempting platform, and I may go back to it if they do it right (please, no more iTunes!).

I will consider moving iOS only if they get rid of that iMessage bug that hijacked your number. I can't lie iOS is more tempting now that you can do more with sharing and the fact apps will talk to each other.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
AirDrop and Handoff will be huge for me since my desktop computer is a Mac Mini. I don't think it is enough to pull me away from Android, if for no other reason than the sheer number of apps I own on Android. It might sell me on an iPad though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thoughts on iOS 8

Well, with WWDC being over in terms of the important part, what did you think of iOS 8 and has it swayed you in any direction? For me, I feel it was the biggest update any mobile OS has ever received and for the first time in 4 years put Apple back ahead of the curve. The hand off feature is something that Windows has been working towards and Google doesn't have as of yet that I've been desperate for. Sure, there are poor alternatives for it but Apple's use of it absolutely destroys the competition. I also look forward to the actionable notifications. On my galaxy S4, I couldn't even read the message in the notification bar without signing up for Google Hangouts and there's no chance that's happening. With these live notifications it's taken the pull down shade to a new level that I hope the competition emulates. They've added new gesture support in messages and with iMessage even introduced the ability to send an immediate video message without all the hassle. iMessage generally got a major overhaul making it seem not so bad that you get locked in when you switch from their service. I love Shazam being integrated into Siri and hope that Siri's improvements are all they're cracked up to be. (Likely not) The new App store makes everything else seem traditional in comparison.

Then there's the APIs, that home API is going to make home automation a much bigger thing now that all developers have access to it... On top of that, there's touch Id authentication, the new camera API, faster cell draw rates... Regardless of how you feel about iOS this is huge.

Oh, and there's the keyboard which might catch some hate from you guys, "Oh, I had Swiftkey 3-4 years ago." But having it and having it specifically optimized for your phone are two very different things.

cliffy223

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I have to say the most wanted feature I have wanted on Android that is part of iOS/MacOS is their Handoff ability along with their imessge service. I get a little bothered that Hangouts on my WiFi Nexus 7 can't receive or send any of the sms/ mms message from the Hangouts app on my phone.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Thoughts on iOS 8

It's good to see Apple making iOS and OSX communicate like this. Looks like Apple is slowly opening the sandbox more and more with the 3rd party keyboards and Touch ID. This is just the beginning. I can't wait to see all the new features that the new iPhone 6 brings. Metal is going to be crazy and Yosemite looks outstanding and it's FREEEEEEE!

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have to say the most wanted feature I have wanted on Android that is part of iOS/MacOS is their Handoff ability along with their imessge service. I get a little bothered that Hangouts on my WiFi Nexus 7 can't receive or send any of the sms/ mms message from the Hangouts app on my phone.

Handoff looks cool, but it's not too impressive since you can do the same things with apps like DeskSMS and Google Voice.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Handoff looks cool, but it's not too impressive since you can do the same things with apps like DeskSMS and Google Voice.

With your own cell phone number? I can get a phone call and answer it on my computer or tablet?

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I will consider moving iOS only if they get rid of that iMessage bug that hijacked your number. I can't lie iOS is more tempting now that you can do more with sharing and the fact apps will talk to each other.

I think that a lot of that is user error.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think that a lot of that is user error.

Actually isn't. Apple actually had to put out a public statement because a lot of people were having problems moving to different platforms and even calling Apple didn't work sometimes.

anon(8730639)

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
With your own cell phone number? I can get a phone call and answer it on my computer or tablet?

Yeah, if you migrate a number to Google Voice, you send messages and call and stuff from many devices (Google's site for it can explain it better than I can). DeskSMS and TabletSMS are SMS only, but it's good for people who don't care about calling and want their messages on other devices.

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Looks like ios8 brought some much needed improvements. Being able to use third party keyboards and widgets being my favorite improvements. Sounds like they're going to have two different screen sizes for the next iPhone too.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Much needed improvements, but I can't help it but I had to make this...

10410014_809414722402076_847113837_n.jpg

Gotta admit, though, the ability to answer iPhone calls on your computer is pretty tempting. Anyone know any Android alternatives that can do the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.