My reaction to iOS 8's new dev-friendly keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
We'd prefer options that are supported and don't require voiding our warranties. But I guess something is better than nothing eh?

Voiding warranty? I've never read about any iPhone user being denied warranty service after restoring the device back to stock. iPhone users don't have to worry about tripping KNOX. Yes, I know not all Android devices have to worry about KNOX but the majority does. This is why I never rooted my S4.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Voiding warranty?
Voiding warranty.

Apple says that jailbreaking your iPhone, while now as legal as can be, will still void your warranty.
Apple on the defensive: Jailbreaking your iPhone may be legal but it'll still void your warranty | TechCrunch
So...jailbreak at your own risk.

I've never read about any iPhone user being denied warranty service after restoring the device back to stock. iPhone users don't have to worry about tripping KNOX. Yes, I know not all Android devices have to worry about KNOX but the majority does. This is why I never rooted my S4.
Have no idea what KNOX is...but Android users have never had to root to get this functionality. It's been in Android stock for many years now. I had it on my non-rooted Droid 1.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Voiding warranty.

So...jailbreak at your own risk.

Have no idea what KNOX is...but Android users have never had to root to get this functionality. It's been in Android stock for many years now. I had it on my non-rooted Droid 1.

You may want to read up on KNOX then. You don't have to tell me about customizing Android devices. I have several Android devices. This was about your comment about jailbreak which iPhone users don't have to be concerned about voiding warranty because Apple has no way of determining whether an iDevice has been jailbroken after it's been restored back to stock. With KNOX, once tripped (that can't be reversed) by rooting the device, Samsung can clearly see it's been rooted and deny warranty service.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Phone users don't have to be concerned about voiding warranty because Apple has no way of determining whether an iDevice has been jailbroken after it's been restored back to stock.
If you say so. But it's not legal from Apple's view, and if they can stop you from doing it, they will. And if they find out you did it, your warranty is gone. Android does not put these roadblocks in our way. The stock OS already has all this stuff, even on very old and cheap phones. And they will have it forever.

With KNOX, once tripped (that can't be reversed) by rooting the device, Samsung can clearly see it's been rooted and deny warranty service.
Then it is irrelevant to this discussion, since you don't have to root to get the items we've been talking about. All Android phones can change keyboards without rooting. Even really old ones. Even really cheap ones.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
If you say so. But it's not legal from Apple's view, and if they can stop you from doing it, they will. And if they find out you did it, your warranty is gone. Android does not put these roadblocks in our way. The stock OS already has all this stuff, even on very old and cheap phones. And they will have it forever.

Then it is irrelevant to this discussion, since you don't have to root to get the items we've been talking about. All Android phones can change keyboards without rooting. Even really old ones. Even really cheap ones.

In order for someone to perform an illegal act, there has to be a law to break. Apple cannot determine what's legal or illegal because they do not create laws. However, they can enforce warranty guidelines which the end user agrees to and deny service. Nothing to do with legalities.

If the iDevice owner is careless enough to bring/send their device for warranty service while their device is jailbroken, that's their fault. It's not hard to backup the device and restore to stock before getting it serviced or replaced.

You mentioned the iPhone 4 owners not getting the 3rd party keyboards and I just mentioned the jailbreak option which is pretty much a couple of clicks on the computer. You twisted this discussion into voiding warranties which iPhone owners aren't concerned about being caught. Android offers custom keyboards out of the box but iPhone 4 owners do have options.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
In order for someone to perform an illegal act, there has to be a law to break.
And there has. You agreed Apple would not be liable for your hardware defects if you chose to jailbreak. That is what Apple is saying. If you try to get service on a phone they know you have jailbroken, you are in violation of that agreement.

You have to deceive Apple to get warranty service on your Jailbroken phone.

You mentioned the iPhone 4 owners not getting the 3rd party keyboards and I just mentioned the jailbreak option which is pretty much a couple of clicks on the computer.
If you are ok jumping through hoops to get what Android has had by default for years, go for it. Just seems a pity that Apple is not allowing iPhone 4 owners any of the new pretty/shiny.

TOTtomdora

May 5, 2014
Visit site
In order for someone to perform an illegal act, there has to be a law to break. Apple cannot determine what's legal or illegal because they do not create laws. However, they can enforce warranty guidelines which the end user agrees to and deny service. Nothing to do with legalities.

If the iDevice owner is careless enough to bring/send their device for warranty service while their device is jailbroken, that's their fault. It's not hard to backup the device and restore to stock before getting it serviced or replaced.

You mentioned the iPhone 4 owners not getting the 3rd party keyboards and I just mentioned the jailbreak option which is pretty much a couple of clicks on the computer. You twisted this discussion into voiding warranties which iPhone owners aren't concerned about being caught. Android offers custom keyboards out of the box but iPhone 4 owners do have options.

So yeah the iPhone 4 will have a permanent tethered jailbreak solution due to an exploit in the chip's boot loader, but here's the thing:
Apple does everything they can to fix holes in the system. They don't want jailbreaking. Because of that, there won't always be an untethered jailbreak available to users.
It's hardly an alternative due to its nature.

SENT FROM MY NEXUS 7 USING TAPATALK.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
And there has. You agreed Apple would not be liable for your hardware defects if you chose to jailbreak. That is what Apple is saying. If you try to get service on a phone they know you have jailbroken, you are in violation of that agreement.

You have to deceive Apple to get warranty service on your Jailbroken phone.

If you are ok jumping through hoops to get what Android has had by default for years, go for it. Just seems a pity that Apple is not allowing iPhone 4 owners any of the new pretty/shiny.

No laws are broken. If that's the case, arrests could be made.

Yes, I deceived Apple. So what. Will I be arrested? Nope. I didn't break any laws. Can I have warranty service done? Sure can. Restore back to stock. Simple as that. No big deal. Don't act like you haven't done anything you weren't supposed to. You've never driven over the speed limit? You've never provided inaccurate information while knowing it was inaccurate? Again, iPhone 4 owners had that pretty/shiny years ago through jailbreak and they can continue having the pretty/shiny after the iOS 8 is released to the public.

I'm ok jumping through hoops (practically a couple of clicks). It's not difficult at all. There comes a point in time that a manufacturers stop supporting a device. Almost 4 years is pretty good in the mobile industry.

Last edited:

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
So yeah the iPhone 4 will have a permanent tethered jailbreak solution due to an exploit in the chip's boot loader, but here's the thing:
Apple does everything they can to fix holes in the system. They don't want jailbreaking. Because of that, there won't always be an untethered jailbreak available to users.
It's hardly an alternative due to its nature.

What are you talking about? There's been an untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S for a while now. Are you familiar with evasi0n? It's a cat and mouse game. The jailbreak community will always be a step ahead. The jailbreak community continuously finds exploits and save them for future devices and iOS's. The only way Apple patches the exploits is when the jailbreak is released to the public. By that time, the devs still have several more exploits waiting in line ready for release in the future. Android device manufacturers are also patching exploits and locking down boot loaders to prevent rooting so don't act like Apple is the only one trying to prevent hacking.

TOTtomdora

May 5, 2014
Visit site
What are you talking about? There's been an untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5S for a while now. Are you familiar with evasi0n? It's a cat and mouse game. The jailbreak community will always be a step ahead. The jailbreak community continuously finds exploits and save them for future devices and iOS's. The only way Apple patches the exploits is when the jailbreak is released to the public. By that time, the devs still have several more exploits waiting in line ready for release in the future. Android device manufacturers are also patching exploits and locking down boot loaders to prevent rooting so don't act like Apple is the only one trying to prevent hacking.

I've been in the jailbreak community for four years, ever since I got my iPod touch.
And the jailbreak community has been having more and more trouble as of late. It's definitely slowed down to the point where it's almost dead.
Now, I probably shouldn't be talking what with my device being four years old, but pffffff.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been in the jailbreak community for four years, ever since I got my iPod touch.
And the jailbreak community has been having more and more trouble as of late. It's definitely slowed down to the point where it's almost dead.
Now, I probably shouldn't be talking what with my device being four years old, but pffffff.

It may have seemed like it slowed because you have an iPod. Development for iPhones, iPads and AppleTV is still active.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I deceived Apple. So what.
So, you should not have had to deceive them. Thats what. This stuff should have been in there by default, and long ago. Apple makes you jump through hoops to configure a device you actually own.

I'm ok jumping through hoops (practically a couple of clicks). It's not difficult at all.
So that makes it acceptable? lol...Apple has their users trained well.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
So that makes it acceptable? lol...Apple has their users trained well.

You contradict yourself. First, you say Apple doesn't want iDevice users to jailbreak their devices. Then you turn around and say Apple has trained consumers well. Which one is it? If they trained consumers well, the jailbreak community wouldn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae