Apple's theft goes mainstream

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, after YEARS of denial by fans, it is now obvious to everyone that Apple steals.

Great artists steal: The iOS 8 features inspired by Android

Stealing is not why Apple is bad though. Hypocrisy is why Apple is bad. All these years, countless lawsuits (and over really trivial things, like icons and button placement and the shape of the phone), and it has come to this. Apple shamelessly rips off Android. And they have now done it in a way that even the most diehard fanboys will not be able to deny.

Can't say that I really blame them. Apple users have obviously envied these features for a long time and if Apple did not deliver them, they risked a mass exodus of their users. But it just makes them look like such hypocrites. I wonder what Steve Jobs would have said?

jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

Knightflt

May 19, 2014
Visit site
are you fricken kidding lol apple has been stealing for years go have a look at new features on there past operating system, now i have not had a look at ios 8 but all the past operating systems example notification center to name one dev's have had that for years its was all in cydia long before it was ever part of an ios and trust me there are many many tweaks like that. Apple jumps up an down they are against jail breaking but yet they will intentionally leave a exploit open so the phone can in fact be jailbroken than they can wait to see what the dev's come up with lol so yes they steal lol

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
This is one fanboy argument we can finally put to rest. Apple does steal, and in a really obvious way.

I hope Samsung exploits this in any remaining lawsuits they have going on with Apple.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hypocrisy is why Apple is bad. All these years, countless lawsuits (and over really trivial things, like icons and button placement and the shape of the phone), and it has come to this. Apple shamelessly rips off Android. And they have now done it in a way that even the most diehard fanboys will not be able to deny.

Well... the most diehard iFans are still drinking the Koolaid (there's one in particular that kept infesting my Google+ feed with clickbait until I blocked the pinhead)... but everyone knows and recognizes them as such.

But 1000% this. It's what pisses me off the most about that company. And after WWDC, it now has ventured into farce territory.... they brazenly go out there, pompously insult Android, then proceed to brag about 'new' features that have been on the so-called inferior platform for years... Not just recently, YEARS.... some have been there since the dawn of Android. And their zealots stand up and clap, amazed at their bold new approach. The cognitive dissonance boggles my mind.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
The difference is, in this case, Apple copied what are now industry standard features. Samsung, on the other hand, pretty much copied the whole UI, phone design, look, and etc.

I don't really care who copy's or does something first, I care who does it the best.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The difference is, in this case, Apple copied what are now industry standard features.
Like icon grids and square shaped phones and slide to unlock? Those kind of industry standards?

I don't really care who copy's or does something first, I care who does it the best.
The thing is, Apple was suing people over this. It was not simply that they stole, but they wanted to prevent other people from "stealing" the same thing. The thief was screaming that he was being robbed, heh heh.

Samsung, on the other hand, pretty much copied the whole UI, phone design, look, and etc.
So it is ok to copy as long as you don't copy the UI? I'm not clear on what you're saying here. What is special about the design?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Like icon grids and square shaped phones and slide to unlock? Those kind of industry standards?

The thing is, Apple was suing people over this. It was not simply that they stole, but they wanted to prevent other people from "stealing" the same thing. The thief was screaming that he was being robbed, heh heh.

So it is ok to copy as long as you don't copy the UI? I'm not clear on what you're saying here. What is special about the design?

All I was saying was that I think samsungs case of stealing was more egregious.

And I agree with you, it is hipicrytical. I'm just saying that Apple copied things that are pretty industry standard like setae keyboards, interactive notifications (notification center widgets) and thugs like that. You can't really fault them for giving their customers things they wanted for a while.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
All I was saying was that I think samsungs case of stealing was more egregious.
Why? How was it different from what Apple did?

Apple ripped off the keyboard almost exactly. Like pixel by pixel.

And I agree with you, it is hipicrytical. I'm just saying that Apple copied things that are pretty industry standard like setae keyboards, interactive notifications (notification center widgets) and thugs like that. You can't really fault them for giving their customers things they wanted for a while.
Could you not make the exact same argument about UI/Design? Wasn't the home button on the iPhone already an industry standard? Weren't slightly rounded rectangles already an industry standard? Weren't icon grids already an industry standard?

Yet Apple took people to count over this, and were cheerleader for it. Now they are doing the exact same thing, and all of a sudden it's ok?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The difference is, in this case, Apple copied what are now industry standard features. Samsung, on the other hand, pretty much copied the whole UI, phone design, look, and etc.

My Note 3 phone design was copied from Apple? Where did Apple have a phone that has unlock on the right side of the phone.. And where is their 5.7 inch screen? Also... Where is Apple's phone that has a back key and menu key near the home button like my Note 3?

Sorry I just don't agree with you on that point... I don't see how this phone design could of been stolen from Apple when they have nothing like it.. The only thing that is the same is the shape.. Which.. Honestly every smartphone has that same generic shape..

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Apple gamed the patent system in order to suppress competition, not to protect their IP.

The software patent system here in the US is an absolute joke.... companies can patent total trash...concepts that have no real basis in reality... and if they come upon an OBVIOUS feature and patent it first, they can hold it hostage. All they need to do is convince some pinhead in the USPO that it's legit and they got it.... like all that horsecrap Apple claimed with the shape of their phones. If anyone wants to see just how screwed up the process is, go look at that fiasco.

Now, I am all for protecting REAL IP... the source code behind the curtain.... If Samsung ripped Apple's actual source code for 'slide to unlock', OK.... they got a case... but to protect software CONCEPTS...that is unadulterated horsecrap. PINCH TO ZOOM!!!!! Apple actually, honestly thought they invented this concept.

-----

Something tells me that the detente between Apple and Google, where they said they would stop suing each other, and Apple's WWDC blatant copying of a ton of features was no coincidence.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Why? How was it different from what Apple did?

Apple ripped off the keyboard almost exactly. Like pixel by pixel.

Could you not make the exact same argument about UI/Design? Wasn't the home button on the iPhone already an industry standard? Weren't slightly rounded rectangles already an industry standard? Weren't icon grids already an industry standard?

Yet Apple took people to count over this, and were cheerleader for it. Now they are doing the exact same thing, and all of a sudden it's ok?

- - - Updated - - -

Apple gamed the patent system in order to suppress competition, not to protect their IP.

The software patent system here in the US is an absolute joke.... companies can patent total trash...concepts that have no real basis in reality... and if they come upon an OBVIOUS feature and patent it first, they can hold it hostage. All they need to do is convince some pinhead in the USPO that it's legit and they got it.... like all that horsecrap Apple claimed with the shape of their phones. If anyone wants to see just how screwed up the process is, go look at that fiasco.

Now, I am all for protecting REAL IP... the source code behind the curtain.... If Samsung ripped Apple's actual source code for 'slide to unlock', OK.... they got a case... but to protect software CONCEPTS...that is unadulterated horsecrap. PINCH TO ZOOM!!!!! Apple actually, honestly thought they invented this concept.

-----

Something tells me that the detente between Apple and Google, where they said they would stop suing each other, and Apple's WWDC blatant copying of a ton of features was no coincidence.

I'm not talking about recent samsung devices. The litigation is about samsung products like the S2 I think.

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Why are Andriod fans always bringing up Apple all the time? You go to iMore and no one [inappropriate language removed by moderators] about Andriod, no one talks about it, good or bad. You come here and there is always a thread bashing Apple, overcompensating for something?

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Why are Andriod fans always bringing up Apple all the time?
Because Apple is in the habit of suing anything that moves and accusing everyone of stealing from them. And Apple's fans make countless excuses for them.

You go to iMore and no one [inappropriate language removed by moderators] about Andriod, no one talks about it, good or bad. You come here and there is always a thread bashing Apple, overcompensating for something?
If Google was constantly suing Apple over trivial or stupid stuff, you'd probably see a lot more Android bashing over there.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Why are Andriod fans always bringing up Apple all the time? You go to iMore and no one [inappropriate language removed by moderators] about Andriod, no one talks about it, good or bad. You come here and there is always a thread bashing Apple, overcompensating for something?

Thank you.

It's ridiculous. It's childish. It is becoming pathetic.

Posted from my Android device that lives happily next to a couple of Apple devices because platform wars are stupid.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
My Note 3 phone design was copied from Apple? Where did Apple have a phone that has unlock on the right side of the phone.. And where is their 5.7 inch screen? Also... Where is Apple's phone that has a back key and menu key near the home button like my Note 3?

Sorry I just don't agree with you on that point... I don't see how this phone design could of been stolen from Apple when they have nothing like it.. The only thing that is the same is the shape.. Which.. Honestly every smartphone has that same generic shape..

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

The litigation was about the first two galaxy phones I believe.

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Apple is extremely efficient at generating hate. Suing everyone is what is probably responsible for most of it.

And people like Samsung...

I think people need to remember they are CELLPHONES. Crackberry and AC are particularly bad for competitor bashing. You certainly don't see it this bad at iMore. It happens occasionally but not pathologically like here and CB.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
And people like Samsung...
Samsung people are not hating on LG or HTC. And it is not just samsung people hating on Apple...everyone does (except Apple fans). It's larger than Samsung. I criticize Apple all the time and I've never owned a Samsung device.

I think people need to remember they are CELLPHONES. Crackberry and AC are particularly bad for competitor bashing.
Again...that might change if Google started going around suing people over stupid stuff. You do not see bashing because Google does not do to Apple what Apple does to everyone else.

Samsung's lawsuits are defensive, and everyone can see that. Even Apple People.

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah no. I don't subscribe to Samsung being solely defensive. Their own LAWYER called them corrupt. And I say that as a platform agnostic. Just the fact that terms like Apple People and Samsung People are being used it a perfect example of how silly it all is.

Just use a cell phone. Or don't. It's not a holy war.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie