Going to iPhone6?

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I've never owned an apple product out side of a 40g iPod i bought of a coworker 6 years ago for $40..I stop using it because of iTunes.

I've done everything Android HTC's , Motorola's, Nexus, Galaxy S3,4, and Note 2.. Like man I've tried it if it was available to me even Windows phone. But never apple.

I'm thinking about trying it now because they're finally offering a big enough screen, in fact the the perfect size... I had an M7 now i have an M8... I really miss 4.7in. There is no up to date flagship on Android.. Thats meets lets say an HTC M8 or Galaxy S standard with a less than 5in screen...
As a techy dude i honestly just want to try it so i can speak from experience on what i do and dont like... Most on AC are quick to bash Apple and love Android (me to) but the flip side of that is the same happens on iMore.. So i wanna see for myself.

But making the switch I'm high concerned... What will i miss, how long before I'm back on my favorite OS? I download tons of music via torrents to my Androids.. Thats my biggest concern, relying on getting to Cpu to update my music...

Are you considering trying the new iPhone 6, what are your concerns and or reasons?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, going back to iOS is going to be a PITA now that you've had a taste of Android. You'll miss the personalization options available (changing themes, launchers, widgets, ringtones, led colors, etc.), but at least you'll get third party keyboards and can install SwiftKey right away (although I have to admit the Apple keyboard is not too bad if you can get past the quirky autocorrect). You'll certainly miss the back button and find yourself trying to hit it everytime (I should know, I have an iPhone for work and Android devices for personal use).

You won't miss having to wait for apps to come out on Android, and certainly will not have to worry about weird issues with apps that work on one device but don't on another one (that is one thing that Apple does right, we have to give them that).

You'll miss file freedom and will be stuck to iTunes, even if you download your music from anywhere else. Unless you use a streaming service or Google Play Music, you're stuck to iTunes. Period.

You'll miss the 200 dollars it'll cost you to get an iPhone over a similarly-speced Android.

You won't miss having to wait eternally for updates and trying to figure out if and when it'll hit your device. You'll know exactly when an update is coming and you'll know exactly if your device is supported (in this case, of course it will).

You'll miss being able to use your device with mostly anything else that supports common formats, or being able to grab just about any non-iPhone cable/charger and just use it to repower your device, but you won't miss the fact that most manufacturers out there produce a lot of accessories and compatible services (like car audio systems) made just for iPhone.

You'll miss Bluetooth file transfers, or any kind of easy file transfer for that matter if you're not sharing it with another iPhone.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, going back to iOS is going to be a PITA now that you've had a taste of Android. You'll miss the personalization options available (changing themes, launchers, widgets, ringtones, led colors, etc.), but at least you'll get third party keyboards and can install SwiftKey right away (although I have to admit the Apple keyboard is not too bad if you can get past the quirky autocorrect). You'll certainly miss the back button and find yourself trying to hit it everytime (I should know, I have an iPhone for work and Android devices for personal use).

You won't miss having to wait for apps to come out on Android, and certainly will not have to worry about weird issues with apps that work on one device but don't on another one (that is one thing that Apple does right, we have to give them that).

You'll miss file freedom and will be stuck to iTunes, even if you download your music from anywhere else. Unless you use a streaming service or Google Play Music, you're stuck to iTunes. Period.

You'll miss the 200 dollars it'll cost you to get an iPhone over a similarly-speced Android.

You won't miss having to wait eternally for updates and trying to figure out if and when it'll hit your device. You'll know exactly when an update is coming and you'll know exactly if your device is supported (in this case, of course it will).

You'll miss being able to use your device with mostly anything else that supports common formats, or being able to grab just about any non-iPhone cable/charger and just use it to repower your device, but you won't miss the fact that most manufacturers out there produce a lot of accessories and compatible services (like car audio systems) made just for iPhone.

You'll miss Bluetooth file transfers, or any kind of easy file transfer for that matter if you're not sharing it with another iPhone.

Wow! Thanks for taking your time to write that. Much appreciated!!!!!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I had an M7 now i have an M8... I really miss 4.7in.

By the way.... it might be 4.7", but the bezels make for a pretty tall phone... the new 5.2" Moto X isn't that much larger (and the current 4.7" Moto X looks tiny next to it). It's by no means a compact design.

ewa12321

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
iPhone gets updates much more frequently and you are sure you get them for a long time but not all features will be available to your phone over time. After one year with iPhone 4 there was new keynote with new iOS and new iPhone. My iPhone was already too old for some features even simple ones that worked without problems after unlocking them with jailbreak, with every update my iPhone get slower and slower. Data reset, deleting apps didn't helped. My phone got every update but performance was worse and worse. I think now that maybe Apple did it on purpose that I would be annoyed by slower performance and getting less software features that I buy newer iPhone model asap. But it is extremely expensive.

rews

Banned
Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Not a chance. The iPhone 6 launch event confirmed for me their status as a follower of Android innovation. I don't even need Apple's much vaunted customer support or carrier free updates anymore since my favorite android brands have chopped down their version releases to within weeks of Google's, and their build quality and design easily rival an iPhone.

The one and only category where iOS itself still holds a slight edge is the speed of the OS. However that's a very slight edge now and is not worth the tradeoff in OS capabilities for me as a power user.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
By the way.... it might be 4.7", but the bezels make for a pretty tall phone... the new 5.2" Moto X isn't that much larger (and the current 4.7" Moto X looks tiny next to it). It's by no means a compact design.

Yeah the new Moto does not offer enough memory for me at all ... The iPhone 4.7 is about the size of the M7 which is absolutely perfect iPhone 6 is 5.44 by 2.64 inches and the M7 which I was spoiled by its size is 5.41 by 2.69 inches ...

Last edited:

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

You don't have to use iTunes to move audio on and off an iPhone anymore. There are apps in the AppStore that allows you to upload music using your browser. Those apps even have there own music player.

Yes, you can get pick up an Android device that has a dual core processor and 1gb of RAM for less than an iPhone 6 but will it run as fast and smooth as the iPhone 6?

The best thing to do is try it out for yourself and make a decision from personal experience.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to use iTunes to move audio on and off an iPhone anymore. There are apps in the AppStore that allows you to upload music using your browser. Those apps even have there own music player.

Yes, you can get pick up an Android device that has a dual core processor and 1gb of RAM for less than an iPhone 6 but will it run as fast and smooth as the iPhone 6?

The best thing to do is try it out for yourself and make a decision from personal experience.

Thanks man i agree! Now will I? We will see on 9/19 when i can touch it

nbtthief

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
IMHO, with a bit lower price, i can get an android device on par with ip6 or a little better (if we don't compare some mili second touch responsive between thems). But this is personal's point of view, you should try it out if your financial is not a problem.

I myself think the Iphone lost its soul since ip5

codyoehl

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
IMHO, with a bit lower price, i can get an android device on par with ip6 or a little better (if we don't compare some mili second touch responsive between thems). But this is personal's point of view, you should try it out if your financial is not a problem.

I myself think the Iphone lost its soul since ip5

I would have to disagree on that, as iOS is as smooth as it gets, and it can outperform the top android phones that cost the same amount

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Noldorian

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I'll be going back to the iPhone 6+ without a doubt.

I had an iPhone 4. Really wanted a larger-screen phone and sold it off.

I think Android is terrific, the problem has been my phone manufacturer mainly. And also carrier issues. Ultimately it comes down to me having to root my phone if I want any kind of update. I never found rooting all that easy -- I'm not at all a tech novice but rooting is far more arduous than I was led to believe. Plus there always seemed to be some kind of issue to deal with that rooting screws up. Hours spent tracking down problems like this.

I bought a HTC One X+ then 14 months later, HTC announces they won't be supporting that phone anymore with updates, etc. I was kind of stunned. Any customer service issues (just like three, if memory serves) I had were already being shunted away from them by whatever total ***** c.s. agent I'd eventually connect with. AT&T customer service, always mediocre at best, would simply point their finger back at HTC. I couldn't get any straight answers -- no one wanted to take responsibility, it would seem. Meanwhile, AT&T would be, literally, years late updating Android and simply stopped altogether a while back.

My phone reboots for no apparent reason. The screen itself won't come on for no apparent reason. Feels like as time goes on, everything is becoming s-l-o-w-e-r to the point now I kind of hate using the device.

Yea, great screen. Great processor. Loads of memory. So often they wouldn't work together all that well and what I'm left with now is kind of a stuttering p.o.s. device. Plus don't even get me started on battery life -- my battery drains in a few short hours, even after I've got power management apps installed.

Meanwhile, Apple has world-class customer service (twice now in our family, someone has brought an iPhone or iPad into an Apple store and they've walked out with a brand new piece of hardware) and iOS (which I totally admit feels dull and stale and lacks all those Android customizations), is totally rock solid and my iPad, now two years plus, hasn't slowed down in the least. Plus battery life on my wife's iPhone 5S lasts twice as long as my Android phone with equal use.

I've learned my lesson, I'll never buy a device where there's such a disconnect between the hardware manufacturer and the OS maker. It's here where Apple shines.

Now that Apple has gone to phablete size, I'm leaping on board and leaving the HTC-Android ****-show behind. My mistake HTC, I realize now I was really stupid to sign on.

I'm sure I would have been much happier with a Nexus but at this point, I'm so frustrated with my Android experience, I'm returning to the iPhone. It may not be sexy, it may not be all that innovative, but it's well-built and Apple stands behind their product, supporting their devices for years before retiring them. Less than a year and a half after HTC released the One X+, they told us to take a hike. **** them.

I'm sure people are going to be calling me an ***** who isn't tech-savvy enough, an iPhone fanboy, whatever. I just want my phone to give me good experience. My iPhone 4 did. My HTC did the opposite. Now with the iPhone 6 Plus, I'll get to have a large phone that won't frustrate the hell out of me.

I love Android. I hope it thrives and lives for decades. But I need a more refined experience and the disconnect between manufacturers, Android, and carriers is simply bad.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I can't buy from a company that is leading from behind. By that I mean apple still has the reputation but they are not innovative like they once were. The one thing that I constantly hear about, which is actually true, is that the iphone is a smooth OS. With Android, most people's experience are on phones with heavy skins on top. I was actually considering a 5s last time around after being a Samsung user because I was sick of the lag. Then I discovered more pure Android, specifically the Moto X and now I'm hooked. My Moto x is just as fluid as my sons iphone 5s. That's with 2 cores.. Motorola is really nailing down the optimization with Android and coming out with features that are well thought out and useful. Right now, they are the only one of their kind as I see it. With the new Moto X you get get crazy premium materials, higher res screen, and a no nonsense experience with a decent form factor.

Last edited:

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll be going back to the iPhone 6+ without a doubt.

I had an iPhone 4. Really wanted a larger-screen phone and sold it off.

I think Android is terrific, the problem has been my phone manufacturer mainly. And also carrier issues. Ultimately it comes down to me having to root my phone if I want any kind of update. I never found rooting all that easy -- I'm not at all a tech novice but rooting is far more arduous than I was led to believe. Plus there always seemed to be some kind of issue to deal with that rooting screws up. Hours spent tracking down problems like this.

I bought a HTC One X+ then 14 months later, HTC announces they won't be supporting that phone anymore with updates, etc. I was kind of stunned. Any customer service issues (just like three, if memory serves) I had were already being shunted away from them by whatever total ***** c.s. agent I'd eventually connect with. AT&T customer service, always mediocre at best, would simply point their finger back at HTC. I couldn't get any straight answers -- no one wanted to take responsibility, it would seem. Meanwhile, AT&T would be, literally, years late updating Android and simply stopped altogether a while back.

My phone reboots for no apparent reason. The screen itself won't come on for no apparent reason. Feels like as time goes on, everything is becoming s-l-o-w-e-r to the point now I kind of hate using the device.

Yea, great screen. Great processor. Loads of memory. So often they wouldn't work together all that well and what I'm left with now is kind of a stuttering p.o.s. device. Plus don't even get me started on battery life -- my battery drains in a few short hours, even after I've got power management apps installed.

Meanwhile, Apple has world-class customer service (twice now in our family, someone has brought an iPhone or iPad into an Apple store and they've walked out with a brand new piece of hardware) and iOS (which I totally admit feels dull and stale and lacks all those Android customizations), is totally rock solid and my iPad, now two years plus, hasn't slowed down in the least. Plus battery life on my wife's iPhone 5S lasts twice as long as my Android phone with equal use.

I've learned my lesson, I'll never buy a device where there's such a disconnect between the hardware manufacturer and the OS maker. It's here where Apple shines.

Now that Apple has gone to phablete size, I'm leaping on board and leaving the HTC-Android ****-show behind. My mistake HTC, I realize now I was really stupid to sign on.

I'm sure I would have been much happier with a Nexus but at this point, I'm so frustrated with my Android experience, I'm returning to the iPhone. It may not be sexy, it may not be all that innovative, but it's well-built and Apple stands behind their product, supporting their devices for years before retiring them. Less than a year and a half after HTC released the One X+, they told us to take a hike. **** them.

I'm sure people are going to be calling me an ***** who isn't tech-savvy enough, an iPhone fanboy, whatever. I just want my phone to give me good experience. My iPhone 4 did. My HTC did the opposite. Now with the iPhone 6 Plus, I'll get to have a large phone that won't frustrate the hell out of me.

I love Android. I hope it thrives and lives for decades. But I need a more refined experience and the disconnect between manufacturers, Android, and carriers is simply bad.

Unfortunately u got the last HTC phone before they rebranded themselves... I took a break from HTC for a while too after all of the issues u speak of... However starting with the M7 on up they have been a new company... 1yr glass protection with your purchase, fast updates... HTC is really leading they way in terms of Android updates and service now days... But ur one X was unfortunately the cut off point leading to their change..

My only complaints with them are.. 1. They should have left the screen at 4.7 and cut the bezels and 2. The camera should be min 8mp... But ive owned a M7 and now M8 and they're great! Best Androids ever in my opinion...

But I'm tired of the size on the M8... I wear a size large in gloves... So i can manage with it one hand but it takes too much focus to do so... I guess i should add i do not like cases and i have the slippery grey model...

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I've never owned an apple product out side of a 40g iPod i bought of a coworker 6 years ago for $40..I stop using it because of iTunes...

I keep reading this all over/other forums. What exactly is the problem with iTunes?

Being a Mac user, I don't get it because you can either Sync your library or if you want (don't know why you would) you can drag & drop.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I love the build & design of the iPhone 4-5S, all I wanted was a 4.7"/5.5" version of it but they had to completely change it.

I guess I can say now that the iOS matches the Hardware. Dull. LOL

This is why I took advantage and traded my 16GB iPad mini Wi-Fi for a 16GB iPhone 5S, in gold and unlocked because I knew there was no way those leaked pics was fake.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I would have to disagree on that, as iOS is as smooth as it gets, and it can outperform the top android phones that cost the same amount

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Subjective. I would argue devices like the Moto X and Nexus 5 are just as fast as an iPhone.

Posted via the Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
If that 128GB model of the 6 was lower I would get it. That much space and the fact it I'd an iPhone means I could use it for 2 years easy. But I'll pass. I am waiting for the Moto X (2014) to go on sale for the holidays so I can grab it off contract.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I keep reading this all over/other forums. What exactly is the problem with iTunes? Being a Mac user

To answer your question, I point to your next sentence. You're a Mac user. iTunes on Windows is an abomination. Horribly slow, laggy and an all around mess. I can only assume that Apple puts the absolute minimum into the Windows version of the client and does so out of contempt for the competing platform on which is runs. My money is on Apple using the "million monkeys" development process.

Some of the words I dread hearing most are "Those new songs aren't showing up on my iPod. Can you take a look?".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234