Why iOS won't work.

iOS supported on another device?

• Total voters

bobbiac

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
iOS (iPhone) is doomed to fail because it follows the same flaw that OS X has: it is designed for only Apple products.

Think about it. What if HTC or Motorola made an iPhone? They would do it bigger, faster, cheaper, and just better then Apple ever could. (Same with Mac Books. It would be REALLY interesting to see an HP dv6 [google it] with OS X onboard.)

Anyway. Since iOS is a closed platform (yes I know.. evil and whatnot) the issue of DRM is basically non-existent. I currently have an iPhone and would like to hang on to iTunes and my apps. But well .... yeah.

noyps2

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Apple has a marketing department straight from the heavens (or hell). They don't need HTC or any other phone company and never will. Being "exclusive" has worked for them since the 70s. ;p

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They will never fail. I think in the next 10 years, the majority of the smartphone world will be Android and iOS. You also have to think, they designed their OS after their hardware. Unlike Android/Windows, they make their software work with different hardware.

bobbiac

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
RHChan84;543391You also have to think said:
This excuse / opinion has been used for a few DECADES now. It make no damned sense. You have a multi-billion dollar software division an you can't code more then 5 - 10 BSD drivers for the Darwin kernel? Cry me a river. Linux does it; Windows devs deal with countless hardware combinations.

So ... why is Apple so controlling and cheap?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They want full control of their software and no one else to have much control over it. It's been working for them so far.

pceasar

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Some may not like my post {sad Panda}

Yet people are still buying them. The apple store in my area is always packed.

I'm sorry to say this and yes I agree things should just work, but lets be honest the apple store is packed because america is run by status symbols when you have a device that is constantly and heavily marketed well and then sold at a premium to create perceived value that is what keeps the apple store packed. When I sit with iPhone owners and hear, "hey it drops calls a lot but its a great toy", or "man I love your jailbroken phone the way you have it customized I wish I could do that".

I can tell you its all about status symbols not the device, hell, when I had one I used to look at other peoples phones and if you didnt have an iPhone you were lesser than I! you couldn't afford a REAL phone, all perceived and not ACTUAL value. I don't hate the iPhone, I despise it! I'm happy for them causing Android to be created but I hate Apple's philosophy of my way or the highway, I guess at least they manage perception.

Google could do it too if they would actually put out commercials only on Android, I digress because as Eric Schmidt has said many times, they dont care about phones they care about the advertising revenue the phones bring, the cheaper the phone the more accessible the more revenue!

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Apple exclusivity is working. The numbers don't lie.

Some food for thought: Apple juggernaut sends ripples through tech world - Yahoo! News

Now, as the writer says, Apple has not always made the right steps, but they do know how to advertise, and they make nice-looking, relatively durable hardware. They have their finger on consumer's pulse right now.

I still think that they are going to have to adjust strategy. People want change. The iPhone's popularity may end up hurting it, because, over the long run, people don't want JUST vanilla.

For now, that vanilla-tasting Kool Aid is doing well. I can respect that.

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
This excuse / opinion has been used for a few DECADES now. It make no damned sense. You have a multi-billion dollar software division an you can't code more then 5 - 10 BSD drivers for the Darwin kernel? Cry me a river. Linux does it; Windows devs deal with countless hardware combinations.

So ... why is Apple so controlling and cheap?

even if they did make the drivers for it as windows has shown us optimization would still suck.

Also making your product only available on one system raises the price/worth instead of chaping down the market place like windows does.(there are still some great high end windows pcs.)

a testment to that is that apple sells a $1000 netbook.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Your logic is flawed. First, you are operating on the assumption that Apple has lost the PC wars. It's an obscure fact that they licensed OS X... at the time that they were teetering on the edge of bankruptcy. They stopped, and the Mac has seen an upward climb since then.

Fast forward to today, and they are the most profitable PC maker in the industry. Their growth outpaces that of the entire industry.

Now, though, one of the biggest draws of the Mac was the price. The carriers offer a way to artificially maintain the same price on all similar devices. The iPhone's price is equal to that of nearly every other high-end smartphone, give or take $25. Some are more, some are less.

Second, the Mac never, ever had this type of software that the iOS possesses. It didn't have the numbers or the quality, and so the ubiquitous PC overtook it simply because of that.

So no, the whole basis that your post is founded upon is flawed.