Wow! Apple just dropped a bomb with iPhone OS 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm, seems like it's just playing catchup. Ooooh wow, you can now change your wallpaper without jailbreaking:rolleyes:

I'm just waiting for the constant crashing and slow-to-a-crawl complaints next. It will be funny.

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Um, I really hope you are joking.

People are really getting excited that this phone will soon do a dumbed down version of what EVERY other smartphone has done for YEARSSSSS?

I mean, come on guys.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Doubt the 1st gen will be able to handle it. Sure there may not be many Edge iPhones left, but what about ipod touches? my 1st gen touch could barely handle 3.0 unhacked.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Doubt the 1st gen will be able to handle it. Sure there may not be many Edge iPhones left, but what about ipod touches? my 1st gen touch could barely handle 3.0 unhacked.

It will not. OS 4 is only for iPhone 3G and 3GS, iPod Touch 2nd gen and 3rd gen. Only the 3GS and Touch 3rd gen will support the "multitasking".

G

GenericMessage

It will not. OS 4 is only for iPhone 3G and 3GS, iPod Touch 2nd gen and 3rd gen. Only the 3GS and Touch 3rd gen will support the "multitasking".

and the iPad

*laughs every time he hears about the iPad*

jmoney00

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site

Sry 3g phones wont be able to handle it. Only 3gs could handle it witch is going to suck for everyone but them.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
OS4 will include all devices. Multitasking is only going to the 3GS, 3rd gen Touch & iPad (as well as future devices).

I rate the announcements a 6/10, but I also keep in mind, as should every, it was a preview and like last year, they will probably announce more features and the new 4th gen come WWDC.

Last edited:

bbrosen

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Sry 3g phones wont be able to handle it. Only 3gs could handle it witch is going to suck for everyone but them.

well even my htc hero cannot multitask and it is only 5 months old and cannot access a lot of the new apps. we still have 1.5 and will for the summer.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
OS4 will include all devices. Multitasking is only going to the 3GS, 3rd gen Touch & iPad (as well as future devices).

According to what this says:

iPhone OS 4 Compatibility

iPhone OS 4 will work with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the second- and third-generation iPod touch this summer, and with iPad in the fall. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009).

So, it will not work with the original iPhone and original iPod Touch at all. It will work with the 3G and 2nd gen Touch, with not multitasking support for those devices.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm, seems like it's just playing catchup. Ooooh wow, you can now change your wallpaper without jailbreaking:rolleyes:

I'm just waiting for the constant crashing and slow-to-a-crawl complaints next. It will be funny.

Isn't that the same as you using custom roms :eek::rolleyes:

I do find that to be funny when people say, "Oh you have to jailbreak that to get those features" and they have leaked OSes (usually BB) or custom roms (with Android). I find that to be a bit hypocritical actually.

Apple isn't playing catchup IMO. They've sold over 50 million iPhones in 3 years on 3 models. Heck, they only one US carrier, but have many carriers and devices does Android have?

Although I like Android OS more, when will they catch up with:

• Better copy & paste... or do I need a mod for that? :eek:
  • Applications... Only app that I love using better on Android is Tapatalk.
  • Applications (again)... 9,300 apps in March. How many were actually apps? Oh, skins! Yay (sarcasm)
  • Mail... sloppy IMO. I won't even get into that.
  • Camera (stock)...?
  • Fragmentation... Why don't all capable devices get the same updates at the same time the rest do?

I lost count on how many Android devices came out after the 3Gs, why would you be surprised that the Droid & Nexus have better hardware specs?

I have yet to have one slowdown on my 3Gs and I don't see many topics like that popping up in the iPhone forums. Yet, I see a lot of people suggesting "App Killers". Supposedly, Android devices do not need it, but if that was the case, it wouldn't be being suggested at all. It's obvious that some users are experiencing these slow downs, including me! I've had to restart my Nexus One more than my BlackBerry 9700, which is surprising to me.

Every phone has it's ups and downs... no phone is perfect or I wouldn't have four different OSes in front of me right now.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
According to what this says:

So, it will not work with the original iPhone and original iPod Touch at all. It will work with the 3G and 2nd gen Touch, with not multitasking support for those devices.

Lmao @ me even forgetting about the 2G. Yup, wasn't even referring to that, my bad. :eek:

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
Apple isn't playing catchup IMO. They've sold over 50 million iPhones in 3 years on 3 models. Heck, they only one US carrier, but have many carriers and devices does Android have?

My thoughts exactly. I own an N1 and an iPhone 3GS. I love both phone for different reasons, but when people say Apple is playing catch-up I have to laugh. It's Android that has a long way to go to catch up to Apple, not the other way around.

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com

You really think this is going to stop developers from writing apps for the iPhone and iPad? You are kidding right? While I don't agree with Apple's heavy handed treatment of developers it's not going to stop developers from working on apps. Sure, they might lose a few here and there, but there will be many more to take their place. With 50+ million iPhone owners ready to purchase apps the developers are not going anywhere. Developers will go where the money is, and for the foreseeable future (many years, not months) it is with the iPhone OS. You are living in a dream world if you think otherwise.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Isn't that the same as you using custom roms :eek::rolleyes:
I don't need a custom rom to change my wallpaper or install custom made apps. That's the point.

I do find that to be funny when people say, "Oh you have to jailbreak that to get those features" and they have leaked OSes (usually BB) or custom roms (with Android). I find that to be a bit hypocritical actually.

Again the point is you can customize Android way more than the iPhone WITHOUT rooting. That's a fact and there is nothing hypocritical about mentioning it.

Apples and oranges. Blackberry and Nokia both outsell the iPhone, so by your logic Apple is playing catchup to them. High sales figures while an indication of success, doesn't necessarily mean it is better. That is a subjective matter.

Although I like Android OS more, when will they catch up with:

• Better copy & paste... or do I need a mod for that? :eek:

[uh I copy and paste just fine on Android. In fact under certain circumstances it's quicker than on the iPhone - just hit shift on the keyboard and drag a finger. No dialogue box to deal with when copying.
  • Applications... Only app that I love using better on Android is Tapatalk.

[And that's your opinion. IMO the Google apps like Nav and skymap are superior to anything on the iphone. And the Android equivalents like barcode scanner, shazam, where etc all work perfectly fine. I miss nothing from my previous iphone 3g.]

• Applications (again)... 9,300 apps in March. How many were actually apps? Oh, skins! Yay (sarcasm)

[Oh like the app store isn't full of complete crap. Give me a break!]
  • Mail... sloppy IMO. I won't even get into that.

[Mail on the iphone sucks period. Touchdown for Android is unmatched. And gmail on the iphone is a joke. Attachment handling on the iphone is a joke as well. ]
  • Camera (stock)...?

[The droid can take decent pics with a little patience but I agree, it can use some improvement.]
  • Fragmentation... Why don't all capable devices gs et the same updates at the same time the rest do?

[FUD. Not a real problem but a manufactured one by people who've run out of material.]

I lost count on how many Android devices came out after the 3Gs, why would you be surprised that the Droid & Nexus have better hardware specs?

I have yet to have one slowdown on my 3Gs and I don't see many topics like that popping up in the iPhone forums. Yet, I see a lot of people suggesting "App Killers". Supposedly, Android devices do not need it, but if that was the case, it wouldn't be being suggested at all. It's obvious that some users are experiencing these slow downs, including me! I've had to restart my Nexus One more than my BlackBerry 9700, which is surprising to me.

Every phone has it's ups and downs... no phone is perfect or I wouldn't have four different OSes in front of me right now.

You must not be browsing the Apple forums then. Go do a search for slowdown or slow or crash and see how many hits you get.

I hardly if ever get slowdowns on my droid and I do not use an app killer. The N1 has even more memory on board, if you're having issues it's probably user error. Anyway, why do you own an N1 again?

Last edited:

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
The fact of the mater remains that 95% of people don't need or want to "customize" their phones. They just want them to work. Apple know's this. I'm a database engineer and have been programming and hacking longer than most people here have been alive, and while I personally love the customization of my N1... I use my 3GS as my daily phone. I personally feel it just a better all around experience for daily use. To each his own I guess.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
^^I think everyone wants their phone to just work and that's exactly what my Droid does and does extremely well.

I'm a little curious as to why you use an N1. Doesn't the iphone fulfill all your needs?

RBasil

Mar 18, 2010
www.robertbasil.com
^^I think everyone wants their phone to just work and that's exactly what my Droid does and does extremely well.

I'm a little curious as to why you use an N1. Doesn't the iphone fulfill all your needs?

I purchased an N1 because I am a Google fanboy and use almost all of their products on a daily basis, also because I wanted the navigation. I have the TomTom nav on my iPhone but wanted the Google nav with street view. The Google nav kicks ass, now if I can just get the screen to be viewable outside I so I can see the navigation I'll be set. Damn Amoled screen sucks outside during the day here in Arizona even inside my car with the new N1 car dock, :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE