Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: What is your favorite replacement or stock keyboard? (Phones)

Voters
469. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gingerbread stock keyboard

39 8.32%
  • HTC Sense stock keyboard

29 6.18%
  • Froyo stock keyboard

3 0.64%
  • Swiftkey X

182 38.81%
  • Thumb Keyboard 4

23 4.90%
  • Go Keyboard

28 5.97%
  • SlideIT

10 2.13%
  • Swype

92 19.62%
  • Smart Keyboard Pro

28 5.97%
  • I use the Force..I think, my phone types

35 7.46%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Smart Keyboard Pro for my phone. I love the Auto Text feature.
    Thumb Keyboard 4 for my Tab 10.1

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Default Re: What's your FAVORITE Keyboard app?

Swiftkey X is great and I love it. It'll really be awesome when they fix the physical keyboard problem of sometimes typing numbers instead of letters. I'm told that will be fixed very soon. Now, if we can just get HTC to fix the Sense rebooting bug...
    Android Addict

Global Posts
    1,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS / Stock

I love Swiftkey X. Use it on all my phones and my Acer A500
    Recordist

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

I have Swiftkey and Gingerbread keyboard, yet I always go back to the stock Android keyboard. I think when it comes down to it, is any typing accuracy issues I have ultimately come down to the size of the Optimus V screen, and not the keyboard I am using.

I have tried everything and keep going back to T9... going to try swiftkey x next

I must have a weird vocabulary or something. I tried Swiftkey, and was constantly fighting with it to get it to accept the word I wanted to use, as it kept suggesting other stuff. I suppose I could have turned of the predictions, but that seems to defeat the purpose. I found the stock keyboard on my Photon to be pretty much unusable. It didn't even have a comma in the main page, and it drove me absolutely nuts.

I'm currently using Swype because:
    * It works well with one finger
    * It's reasonably fast
    * If you tap one letter at a time it doesn't second-guess you. And then it learns that word and is likely to accept it in the future.
    * It came free with the phone.

But I find it tedious to type. Interrupting my typing to look at what word the keyboard wants to use is just tiring, somehow, and it slows me down a lot. And the guessed words are sometimes bizarre, and would really make it hard for a reader to understand what I was trying to say, so I NEED to look. So maybe I should try other keyboards, perhaps keyboards without an auto-correct feature. Dunno. Looking here for recommendations. I already paid for Swiftkey, so maybe I should just try it with all the prediction stuff turned off.

Another vote for SwiftKey. My OG Droid's physical keyboard is completely unusable and with SwiftKey I'm almost back to typing at full speed

i downloaded and installed the new Swype beta on my Atrix and loved it.

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hakoreh View Post
    So I looked around and I don't see a recent post on this so I figured I'd start a new one.

Vote below for your favorite replacement keyboard app or stock?

I like Swiftkey X but since it left beta it's been very buggy and I'm trying out Go Keyboard for now..

What are your thoughts?

PHONE keyboards only, not tablet or honeycomb
    I used Swype for a while but changed to A.I. type. far better

i am going back and forth between swiftkey x and the stock HTC keyboard.

swiftkey is great at predictions but sometimes i'll type a word correctly and it changes it to what it thinks i should put instead. very frustrating
    Recordist

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post

swiftkey is great at predictions but sometimes i'll type a word correctly and it changes it to what it thinks i should put instead. very frustrating
    Sounds a lot like what the iPhone keyboard does by default.

Sent from my iPod touch

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    i am going back and forth between swiftkey x and the stock HTC keyboard.

Sometimes? It did it with about 1/3 of what I wrote. Drove me nuts very quickly.

(At first I had the wrong language loaded, and then it "corrected" nearly everything I wrote. After I switched to "US English" it got better, but not nearly better enough to be usable.)

Global Posts
    792 Global Posts

I tried several and right now flext9 is my favorite for it's voice-activation predictability and its swipe-like intuitive work (better than Swype IMO).
    Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it ~ Woody Allen

ROM
    Stock, Rooted Jelly Bean

TouchPal is by FAR the #1 keyboard for android!!!! It beats everything by at least a mile (I know I have tried them all!) It is easily my first pick. My second pick would be the gingerbread stock keyboard. Next would be a tough choice between Swiftkey X and Go Keyboard.
    Listen, think, speak... In that order.

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

Right now, TouchPal is my preferred keyboard, followed by SwiftKey X. Both do predictive text, and even though SwiftKey does prediction better, TouchPal keeps improving with each update (plus it combines swiping with text prediction). Version 5 also includes keyboard skins.

I think my perfect keyboard would include TouchPal's interface (very accurate touch typing even when pressing the wrong letters), SwiftKey's text prediction (it will sometimes predict the next 5+ words in a row), and FlexT9's voice input (which I believe is from Dragon Dictate).
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )

ROM
    Quattrimus AOKP / CM9

I like the Froyo stock. I'm 1 of 2 people that voted for it. haha. I don't know why, but it's just so easy and simple. love it.

i love swype but i cant for the life of me get it to not force close on cm7. so ive been using swiftkey instead. if somebody knows a fix im all ears.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

I tried swiftx , its not bad. Currently using smart keyboard trial, and I like it a lot. Fully skinnable as well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I have been using the TouchPal 4.8 keyboard and I seem to have takin a liking to it over all other soft keyboards.

Before that I was using Swype, HTC_IME mod, Stock GB, Go Keyboard, Better keyboard, Perfect Keyboard, and various other keyboards. I'm a junkie when it comes to a decent keyboard.

The HTC_IME one to me is awesome if you want a good keyboard with improvement hacks. Like being able to add custom emoticons. Also there is as good theme maker available online, shop you can get a keyboard that fits your phone better.

Go keyboard was a little slow even I was using it. It would lag really bad when I would type fast, which was a killer, but overall its just a rebuild of the HTC_IME.

Perfect and better keyboard are ok , there not quite as intriguing to me.

Honestly I would recommend getting Touch Pal from the market. I think they still are offering it for free and it is similar to Swype. Its fast and responsive and they have a video on there market page that shows off the features. Worth a try

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Does anyone else wonder if the chinese govt might publish useful software with trap doors for later use?

I suppose I'm just paranoid, but a keyboard would be the perfect app for that purpose.

No question, it has to be Swype. I've realized you cannot try to replicate typing on a laptop or desktop on a 4.3 inch screen. This is why Swype works so well.
    webOS is dead. Long live Android.
    Data Hog since 6/2009

ROM
    Currently Stock w/ Root

On my Droid Incredible 2 I switch back and fourth between the Stock Gingerbread Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Pro w/ the Gingerbread theme.

I wish I could get the Motorola Multi-touch Keyboard!!

does anyone think that one day, touchscreen phones will have the tactile feel of keyboards?
    Thunderbolter

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by rubixi View Post
    does anyone think that one day, touchscreen phones will have the tactile feel of keyboards?
    Kind of like on the Blackberry Storm?

Sent from my Liquid Smooth T-Bolt
    Recordist

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

I got SwiftKey X a while back when it was free on Amazon. I tried it briefly and for whatever reason, at the time, I didn't like it. I got the itch to try it again a day or two ago and wow, this thing is amazing. Predictions are mindblowingly accurate. It really does work as advertised. I've been using it heavily for the past 24 hours and it's gotten twice as good at predictions. I'm sold. There's no going back to stock after this.

Sent via VM670
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast