What's your FAVORITE Keyboard app?

What is your favorite replacement or stock keyboard? (Phones)

• Total voters

ETW11

May 26, 2011
Visit site
To me, the latest Swype is unparalleled. It now does predictive text nearly as good as Swiftkey. Combined with the swipe ability and the best speech-to-text capability, Swiftkey just can't compete on my phone. I used Swiftkey for a long time, but thanks to Swype, I may never return to it.

berrydroidapple

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually tired of predictive text period.

I find myself editing more than I really want and really get ticked off when I have to fight with the keyboard for a word I want to use.

Swype made me so mad today, I removed it from every device I have. I'm going to try Swift 1 more time, and if I don't like it I'll just stick to stock.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually tired of predictive text period.

I find myself editing more than I really want and really get ticked off when I have to fight with the keyboard for a word I want to use.

Swype made me so mad today, I removed it from every device I have. I'm going to try Swift 1 more time, and if I don't like it I'll just stick to stock.

I don't know about Swype, but with SwiftKey you can turn off the auto insertion of preditions. So you can use it just like a stock, non-predictive keyboard, but still have the predictions up above if you chose to click on them.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I love that I can customize the duration of long press on swiftkey. On crackberry kevin's suggestion, I turned the long press time way down (by about half) and it's made me love swiftkey that much more.

wiscottsin

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I use BigButtons Deluxe and love all the features. Being as I only have one hand to type with, it is the easiest I have found so far.

$@$
Sent from my SCH-I535

lilme08

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
How do you turn off predicted text in SwiftKey

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Jao Ozaki

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
My current favorites are Smart Keyboard and Keymonk, best keyboards out there at the moment in my opinion.

Oh how I miss my physical keyboard...

ThePurpleAndroid

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
How do you turn off predicted text in SwiftKey

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Android Central Forums

You don't, it's part of what makes SwiftKey SwiftKey... It learns from your typing style and learns what words and phrases that you use the most to save your keystrokes.

?~?~?HTC Evo Design?~?~?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
What about TouchPal V5 ? :) I see it's also not listed in the Poll above. :-\

Only had my S3 for a month, and just DL'd TouchPal a few days ago and have been really liking it, mostly. It's way-way-way better than the stock Samsung T9 keyboard (which shockingly is all the S3 comes with? besides 'Google Voice Typing' :rolleyes: ).
Anyhoo, TouchPal has very smooth swyping(not a real word, I guess, according to OED & TFD :0 ); nice & much more functional keyboards; pretty good predictive & anticipated text (except for the occassional word that it just plain refuses to acknowledge & input :mad: ...even though you've swyped it 4~5 times! :rolleyes: ), but nonetheless, it's very easy to add/save new words to the TouchPal dictionary.

I've yet to try Swiftkey 3, or the new Swype Beta. Though all in all, I'm pretty happy with TouchPal so far. Anyone else using it? Or have used it?

Last edited:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Okay, okay okay . . now I understand. :rolleyes: Just dl'd Swype beta ? and I see what everyone's talking about, it's really great! :cool:

Imho, Swiftkey just has way-way too many poor reviews on Google Play, for me to try it. :rolleyes: Bunches of reviews about it asking you to update every other day, and lots of other gripes too.

Have now uninstalled TouchPal. It was better than the stock Samsung T9 keyboard, but not anywhere near as good? as the Swype beta keyboard & functions & preferences, etc.

Main reasons for uninstalling TouchPal: 1) no characters on middle row of keyboard; 2) less preferences, personalization & gesture choices? than with Swype beta; 3) only one theme/skin (unless dl'd from internet); 4) what I first thought was pretty good, but then after 4~5 days realized wasn't so good: predictive & anticipated & contextual text; 5) small thing, but not a very good smiley emoticon section... not even a wink ;-) . . .etc.-etc.

NOT THAT ANYONE IS EVER GOING TO READ THIS THREAD, EVER AGAIN !! :(

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey Jao! :eek: I thought there had been some devastating world-ending event of Biblical proportions . . . and everyone else on the planet had disappeared! :( ;)

Never have heard of those two that you use. But thanks for swingin' by, and posting them. ;)

There's been a few bugs, with Swype beta, during these first few hours I've been experimenting with it, but nothing major. A couple of times where it said it was going to close, but then opened right back up again when I tapped on the cursor spot. Also got slow once. But the Swype people said upfront that there would be bugs, etc., so I'm okay with them. All in all and so far, I'm really enjoying the Swype beta keyboard.

Thanks again for showing that there's yet a sign of life . . on this thread, Jao! ;)

Last edited:

Jao Ozaki

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
If you're a Swyper, give Keymonk a try. It's like Swype only it enables 2handed simultaneous swyping. Very smooth, attractive, and fast.

The free version doesn't have ads, so c'moooon. Give it a shot.

anon(368121)

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Okay, okay okay . . now I understand. :rolleyes: Just dl'd Swype beta ? and I see what everyone's talking about, it's really great! :cool:

Imho, Swiftkey just has way-way too many poor reviews on Google Play, for me to try it. :rolleyes: Bunches of reviews about it asking you to update every other day, and lots of other gripes too.

Over the last few months, SwiftKey has seen updates maybe once every 4-6 weeks at the most. Far less than a lot of other apps I use.

I think the main issue new users have with SwiftKey is that you have to actually use it for at least a few weeks for it to build its predictive vocabulary, even if you take advantage of its text/email analysis feature. It's completely trouble-free and very, very fast for me.

I just couldn't warm up to Swype, having been a Blackberry user for so many years. I need to type, not wipe :D

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Have now uninstalled TouchPal. It was better than the stock Samsung T9 keyboard, but not anywhere near as good? as the Swype beta keyboard & functions & preferences, etc.

Main reasons for uninstalling TouchPal: 1) no characters on middle row of keyboard; 2) less preferences, personalization & gesture choices? than with Swype beta; 3) only one theme/skin (unless dl'd from internet); 4) what I first thought was pretty good, but then after 4~5 days realized wasn't so good: predictive & anticipated & contextual text; 5) small thing, but not a very good smiley emoticon section... not even a wink ;-) . . .etc.-etc.

NOT THAT ANYONE IS EVER GOING TO READ THIS THREAD, EVER AGAIN !! :(

what do you mean SwiftKey has too many poor reviews? It's given almost 5 stars and has plenty positive reviews over the bad. There could never be too many updates to an app. Updates are a good thing, even if some things break, which is bound to happen. The good thing is that the dev team is active and will push a fix for issues.

Last edited:

Spare Change

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I personally use Thumb Keyboard. 1st purchased for my 1st Gen Galaxy Tab and since installed it on my One X because the screen is large enough for most of there layouts. In landscape mode the keyboard is split down the middle with numbers in the middle. I like that because its all thumbs and spacing is great for average size fingers. Tried the swiftkey before and found it just to slow for me...I also grew up taking typing class in the 80's so I really down have to look at the keyboard much when I get in a groove...

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams