Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xopher
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default TouchPal Keyboard - the future of input

Blind typing. Predictive sliding. Smart prediction. The most innovative keyboard that brings you to the future of input.

TouchPal Keyboard is currently having beta testing. If you want to apply for beta testing, please follow them on twitter or like them on Facebook.

TouchPal
    Twitter: @TouchPal
    Facebook: TouchPal

Default Re: TouchPal Keyboard - the future of input

I saw it mentioned on phandroid and I saw its video. I have to say it is really promising keyboard. It fills many voids that sliding keyboards like Swype leave out, plus brings new innovative things. When I was using swype on my epic, I had to keep switching between the keyboards - swype when I wanted to have the flexibility of using one hand to type, and swiftkey when I wanted to fire away using both my hands. I am hoping touchpal could help me do both those things in one keyboard. Cant wait to give it a go on my new Epic 4G Touch once it arrives. Phandroid site also mentioned its going for free right now in the android market.

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    ROM
    CyanogenMod 9

Used this a few weeks ago....not bad really.

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

I think they just went out of beta. It's now available in the Marketplace. It is supposed to be free until the end of October.

I switched to it and love it. It still has a few quirks, but I love the combination of swiping and text prediction.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )
    Thanked by:
    lilC2us likes this.

Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

just downloaded i like it alot better than swype
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Version 5 is out and it's much better now!

The only thing I have to say about it is that they need to support more languages. Besides that is a great keyboard.

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

I finally upgraded to version 5. It definitely is a lot better. Seems to run a lot smoother, too.I haven't tried any of the skins yet, but that will be a nice feature to try out. It still doesn't automatically add a period after selecting a word in the top of the list (then pressing the space bar), even though it does add the period after a double-space (without using the suggestion bar). At least it always auto-capitalizes now.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory puzzle game for Android. ( Google Play - Amazon Appstore )

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

Touchpal seems like a good combination of Swype and Swiftkey.
    Is there any way to get the full set of secondary keys to show up thoughtout the keyboard instead of the just the lower "@ ' ! ? ( : ) " set?
    We'll both get 500mb free on top of 5gig signup bonus and a new Android app is out:
    https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=ewxiovt892qmw

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

If you hit the 12# button, it gives you a lot of different keys to choose from. On the qwerty keyboard, there are like three different screens of keys available (one with emoticons and web shortcuts).

Another good thing about TouchPal is is you disable the swipe, you can simply press the key and swipe down at the same time and it will give you the symbol on that key. If you swipe up instead it will give you the capital letters.

Sent from my TapadaAtrix
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I just did a update through the setting. Now I have version 5.0.0.14330 . Also update your dictionary.
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I've been running TouchPal for a couple weeks now, and am fairly pleased. It is fairly fluid, and does a good job with the predictive typing.

My only issue is that I find myself having to do a force close a couple times a day. Strangely, it seems to happen mostly when I'm in landscape mode. I also keep getting notifications to update my dictionaries, but every time I try, I receive an error, and again, need to do a force close. The only way to remove the update icon from my notification bar is to shut off, and restart the phone.

I'm running version 4.8, and when I do a check for updates through the settings, it tells me there is none. I think I'll go look for version 5, and do a manual install.

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

Version 5 is pretty good. It looks like they definitely have worked on some bugs with it, plus the skins are nice.

Version 5? It still 4.8 on the market?

Sent from my TapadaAtrix
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Here is the link to get version 5: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1261750

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Thanks.

Sent from my TapadaAtrix

I just tried it and now I just love it, it's great.

Only problem so far with v5 that I've found is curve doesn't work in address bar like 4.8 did.
    and still can't pull up a number only input pad unless on a number only input field

EDIT: curve is turned off default on address bar slide left on space bar to turn it on; however, auto space does not work in address bar if you use it like a search bar.
    Last edited by ElefantPhace; 10-11-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock

Yeah, I wish there was a way to select the ten-key number pad by default. The only way I have found it to swipe keyboards (left-to-right) to bring up the T9 keyboard, then press the number button. It's an extra 2-3 presses.

The good thing is that the more I use it,the better it is getting at text prediction.

Ahh! nice find xopher! but yeah it should be much easier than that

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts

Does anyone else get force closes every time you select a predicted term while typing in landscape mode in the search bar?

Good app otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Emcee View Post
    Does anyone else get force closes every time you select a predicted term while typing in landscape mode in the search bar?

Good app otherwise.
    Try deleting learned words, this has solve the problem in some devices.

Sent from my TapadaAtrix

TOUCHPAL, I have it and I like it. BUT. It keeps putting those pictures in my phone of the different color keyboard and what not. annoying also..it is asking me to install touchpal contacts what does this instal do? when i click on it. tells me for security installation is blocked as it is not with Google play.
    How do i get rid of that touchpal contacts and pics that keep downloading themselves on my S4. i keep deleting but they keep coming back.. Bugger... LOL