Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TofuTwit
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Default SwiftKey as default keyboard

I have SwiftKey set as my default keyboard on my Samsung note 2. However, after every reboot it reverts back to the stock Samsung keyboard. It has done this every time without fail. Am I missing something or is this a bug/forced default?

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: SwiftKey as default keyboard

It should not remove it as default. Long press on a text field and select input method. Make sure Swiftkey is selected. Find the keyboard selection in Menu > Settings >

There should be a list of installed keyboards and you'll be able to choose which ones are useable on the device. Look for the stock keyboard and disable it. Hopefully this keeps you locked in with Swiftkey on reboot.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    It should not remove it as default. Long press on a text field and select input method. Make sure Swiftkey is selected. Find the keyboard selection in Menu > Settings >

There should be a list of installed keyboards and you'll be able to choose which ones are useable on the device. Look for the stock keyboard and disable it. Hopefully this keeps you locked in with Swiftkey on reboot.
    Swiftkey is definitely available and stays as the default keyboard as long as I don't reboot the phone. In the Menu > Input Settings I am unable to disable the Samsung keyboard as it is grayed out. Although I have no trouble selecting SwiftKey in the Default Keyboard list.

Quote Originally Posted by TofuTwit View Post
    Swiftkey is definitely available and stays as the default keyboard as long as I don't reboot the phone. In the Menu > Input Settings I am unable to disable the Samsung keyboard as it is grayed out. Although I have no trouble selecting SwiftKey in the Default Keyboard list.
    I'm not sure what OS you are using, but if you moved the App2SD then it won't be able to load as default at reboots. This was the issues with a phone when I kept all my apps on the SD card.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

I'm on a stock AT&T Galaxy Note 2. Nothing was changed OS wise since I took it out of the box and all apps are loaded on the phone itself. Very puzzling. Thanks for the insight though.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

FYI, I am NOT having this issue with SwiftKey Flow Beta. It stays put as the default after reboots. Might have been something screwy with my instal of Swiftkey3.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

That's good to hear. Very odd that Swiftkey was acting like this upon reboot.

I'm having this same problem with the Thumb Keyboard. Other 3rd party keyboards stay put but not Thumb - after a reboot the phone is back to the Samsung keyboard every time.

When you go into settings, then input, just before the keyboard options, does it indicate the keyboard you want as the default?

from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

Quote Originally Posted by TofuTwit View Post
    I have SwiftKey set as my default keyboard on my Samsung note 2. However, after every reboot it reverts back to the stock Samsung keyboard. It has done this every time without fail. Am I missing something or is this a bug/forced default?
    There's an app on the Play store that addresses this flaw. The app will set your desired keyboard on a reboot. Here's a link to it:
    Thanked by:

I am also finding this increasingly frustrating. I switched from iPhone to this lovely Galaxy III, I simply love the options of customising almost everything! iPhone? Nah, not for me. I turn my phone off every night, on of a morning, and I have this ritual - before textting/emailing go into settings/language and choose swiftkey together with switch from 2G to 3G (but that is simply because 02's reception is zero in my area, so of a night once home I have to switch that to 2G to get a smidgen of reception).

I have tried all updates to s/w, inc trying another keyboard and ditching swiftkey. But Swiftkey works so well for my typing style. I can't believe there is no fix for this? Why have the ability to choose keyboards on the Galaxy if actually, you can't really use them? Perhaps Google/Swiftkey and Samsung need to have a conversation?

ROM
    Stock

FYI:

The TL;DR version... Bug in Jelly Bean, especially on Samsung devices that causes some areas of memory to be unavailable on boot up, and Google Play storing paid apps in that particular area of memory. So Swiftkey isn't there when you boot, thus the phone reverts back to it's stock keyboard. This is supposedly fixed in newer versions of Jelly Bean, but who knows when such an update would make it out and then get approved and pushed out by AT&T.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13

just so everyone knows it is not a problem with swift keyboard. I use Ultra keyboard and I have the same issue with the phone resetting back to the Samsung keyboard. I'm sure there's some wayto answer a code into your phoneso it will give you accesstwo disabling the Samsungkeyboard.the developers know all kinds of tricks for doing things on your phone. I've seen them do it to another one of my phone the front of me. Not a keyboard issue but something else. So it is definitely the Samsung 4.1 .1 and not your keyboard