Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why, oh WHY is Swype's prediction feature SO terrible??

I continue to be really, really frustrated with how bad Swype is at figuring out what word I am swiping. I've been using it for a long time, at least a year and a half. I still think it's better than tapping, and I haven't become enamored of SwiftKey or the other options, but I am SICK of it putting in low-frequency words for some really common ones, like "toy" for "you", and truly ridiculous words for other common ones, like "egger" for "every", or "Niue" for "now". Sometimes I look at the path of my swipe, and I can SEE that I touched every letter in the word, and my intended word is NOT EVEN IN THE LIST. Why, why, WHY does it not have even a shred of smarts in this regard? Why doesn't it use word frequency data, or my own usage data, or knowledge of what part of speech must come next, or ANYTHING? All that, AND you can't even remove those ridiculous words from its dictionary??? Rrrggg. The iPhone's algorithm is really good, from the limited experience I have with it, and I don't understand why Swype is so bad, and why more people aren't annoyed about it. Would somebody please enlighten me?

Default Re: Why, oh WHY is Swype's prediction feature SO terrible??

I find Swype's prediction to be pretty good. I think its most annoying feature is its desire to auto-correct words I spell out.

Maybe the reason there aren't more people complaining about it is because most people don't have a problem with it.
    Last edited by retsaw; 11-29-2012 at 10:09 AM.

ROM
    Stock

I agree that Swype has its issues. I hate how when I swype "me" it puts in "Mr" and I can't make swype figure out that I almost NEVER say "Mr".

But compared to TouchPal, SlideIT and Android Gesture Typing I prefer Swype by a pretty good margin. SlideIT is a Swype clone and not a good one at that. Android Gesture is a great start, but having that huge screen to select from when correcting seems intrusive and only three word choice options compared to Swypes 5-10 on the ribbon feels limited.

Kind of excited to see Swiftkey Flow to be honest.

Works great for me with my SGS3.
    Try clearing the cache.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Actually I Swype was incredibly good for me but right now I'm testing Swiftkey Flow. You should check it out if you can.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

I like swipe but SwiftKey Flow is pretty cool. I love gesture typing and SwiftKey Flow is pretty good. Give it a spin

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!

I loved swype at first. Then I got sick of the crap predictions. I love SwiftKey Flow so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

My opinion is that Swiftkey gets worse in its predictions over time. Ive now freshly downloaded Swiftkey Swype (beta) and the predictions when typing or swyping are way better that on the Swiftkey X which Ive been using for about 6 months now. However I often use Swiftkey to correct the beginning of my words, but in this case it ends up having a bunch of inadequate words in its dictionary.
    One thing thats really annoying in German theres aber which means but - and every time the prediction for Acer comes up first. However having two languages setup (English and German) works just great on Swiftkey!

To me Swype has been better than any of the other keyboards that have the slide feature. Even better than the new swiftkey flow. Maybe I'm just used to it. But for me I always come back to swype after trying a new one.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

I agree completely. I constantly get crap like "pongee" when typing "one" wtf is that? that will never be correct. never. why can't I delete that from my Swypes dictionary? It has a ton of weird words and proper nouns that I would never use. I hate it. Oh and I get "o" all the time when trying for "I". It's definitely dumbware.

It's awesome for me. Love how it learns how I type. Love not having to type at all for common things I say.

Sent from my HTC DNA