Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bobbob1016
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Keyboard auto-correct annoyance

I like most of what the Google Keyboard does, except that it insists on typing 'OK' in all caps. Even after I did the hold to save 'Ok', and 'ok'. Is there a way to correct this? Or another keyboard that uses Google's voice recognition?

Default Re: Google Keyboard auto-correct annoyance

OK is the correct way to spell it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbob1016 View Post
    I like most of what the Google Keyboard does, except that it insists on typing 'OK' in all caps. Even after I did the hold to save 'Ok', and 'ok'. Is there a way to correct this? Or another keyboard that uses Google's voice recognition?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I was thinking that. But I still think that the case, in text talk, implies tone. If I read someone saying OK vs ok, I imagine an exclamation mark at the end. Probably just me, but yeah, it's an annoyance.
    ffejjj likes this.

I understand the annoyance. Have you tried going into settings for Google keyboard and adding it to the personal dictionary? It may work that way.
    Last edited by antilles76; 11-08-2013 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by antilles76 View Post
    I understand the annoyance. Have you tried going into settings for Google keyboard and adding it to then personal dictionary? It may work that way.
    This ^^^

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    Ambassador
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Maybe it's a setting, but when I hit the plus, I type ok, but can't add it. I don't see how this would work with making it case sensitive though, or does it override the default? As in if I slide type it, would it prefer my 'ok' over their 'OK'?

When you go into personal dictionary, click the + to add. Type in the ok on the Type a word line and click next. Click done to shrink the keyboard. Then click the + sign again to save. I'm not sure if it will override the default or not yet. I have not tried it out.

Maybe it's a setting, but when I hit the plus, I type ok, but can't add it. I don't see how this would work with making it case sensitive though, or does it override the default? As in if I slide type it, would it prefer my 'ok' over their 'OK'?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by antilles76 View Post
    When you go into personal dictionary, click the + to add. Type in the ok on the Type a word line and click next. Click done to shrink the keyboard. Then click the + sign again to save. I'm not sure if it will override the default or not yet. I have not tried it out.
    I think something may be up, I did that the first time, and it didn't work. When I tap plus the second time, it still says nothing is there.

I would try clearing cache and data in the app. Then try adding it again.

I think something may be up, I did that the first time, and it didn't work. When I tap plus the second time, it still says nothing is there.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

I have a question on this topic as well. Previously when typing "donts" or "thats" my phone would autocorrect by adding the appropriate apostrophe. Now, not only does it not add the apostrophe, it autocorrects to "DONT" or "THATS". Any way to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by BrettAU View Post
    I have a question on this topic as well. Previously when typing "donts" or "thats" my phone would autocorrect by adding the appropriate apostrophe. Now, not only does it not add the apostrophe, it autocorrects to "DONT" or "THATS". Any way to fix this?
    I have the exact same problem after my keyboard updated to the latest version. It's terribly annoying.

have you found a solution to this problem yet?

*please ignore this post! I accidentally double posted-my apologies!*
    Last edited by Canadian737; 11-28-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: forgot to add quote and double posted! please delete!

Quote Originally Posted by BrettAU View Post
    This has driven me NUTS lately! Glad to see I'm not the only one. It's ridiculous. Hopefully Google takes a look at it!

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Go to apps, google keyboard, then clear data and cache. That worked for me.

BrettAU's fix worked for me.

I was also having the issue with that's being autocorrected to "THATs". Wildly annoying. Must have been a 4.4 issue (add it to the long list of annoying bugs). I had tried searching through personal dictionary on Google Keyboard and in Handscent SMS, but it was not an entry on either of those lists. Clearing the cache & data from the Google Keyboard app settings will correct this issue. In order to access this data clear feature, you will need to access the app settings from the list of all Apps, not the list of running Apps.