I played with the Kindle Fire HD and didn't get burned!

CrackBerry Kevin

Mobile Nations Chief Media Officer
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, it's true. That's because I was at the event in Santa Monica (Phil was in NYC for another event).

Overall, pretty solid tablet if your goal is consumption. It's really all about just sitting down and doing stuff - reading books, watching movies, playing games, etc. They definitely did a solid job on the hardware. They didn't skimp.

I find the UI a bit painful and inconsistent. It's sort of strange that while gearing the device to be for the mainstream average user, that they didn't make it easier for them to get back home. Depending on what app you're in, it changes. Easy to get used to I guess, but still seems odd.

I love some of the features they introduced. If I had kids I would totally take advantage of the FreeTime feature. And I really like the syncing feature for kindle books and audio books. Super clever.

They said on stage the Kindle Fire has 22% of US tablet share right now... so I'd expect to see these continue to do well. You get a lot for the money.

Reactions: Paul627g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It does indeed look like a fun tablet. Might be something worth considering to pick up as a household tablet. My wife with all her constant online researching of books and reports for her college works could really benefit from a nice tablet like this.

threed61#WN

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I ordered the 7 inch HD this afternoon, cant wait! I have Prime so I hope to have it on the 17th. Will the free time feature be able to block access to the market? My nephew was playing with my Thrive, and added a number of games to it without permission. I'd like to be able to prevent that.

Last edited:

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
One of the things that's drawing me to this over the Nexus7 is the HDMI output. Its a little thing, I know, but one I've grown to love with my phone.

My only concern is if I can get console emulators running on the kindle fire.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The 7 inch fire HD seems inferior to the N7, however, I'll buy an 8.9 as soon as xda cranks out some sweet medicine in the form of a CM10 release.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Will the free time feature be able to block access to the market? My nephew was playing with my Thrive, and added a number of games to it without permission. I'd like to be able to prevent that.

Before letting kids use my tablet I quickly & easily setup an App called "App Lock II Widget Pro"--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=net.xdevelop.protector3&token=yAvzsT7k
What it does is when they try to launch an App / game I've told them not to it blocks access but not in the usual way - instead of prompting a Password & Pin it pops up the Force Close message. That way not only does it keep them out, it also makes them feel guilty for crashing the App / game. Yeah it's a little mean, but hey, it's their fault for trying to launch it when I told them not to.

Reactions: threed61#WN

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I am going to be honest i been using the nexus 7 since released, it is a nice tablet, but i do not use that man apps, mostly video on youtube netflix, and social networking facebook, tweeter and sometimes G+, and lastly the browser is very important and Google Chrome is really frustrating to me, it lags constantly and like what Alex Dobie said " its a butter-free browser" either google will have to improve it, or maybe Amazon has a better browser. Another issue I saw with the nexus 7 was the speakers some videos not even with volume+ you can get any good sound, so I am leaning towards the 8.9 fire HD with 32gb to store my videos and watch them with that stereo Dolby sound quality hoping stronger sound than the 7

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I am going to be honest i been using the nexus 7 since released, it is a nice tablet, but i do not use that man apps, mostly video on youtube netflix, and social networking facebook, tweeter and sometimes G+, and lastly the browser is very important and Google Chrome is really frustrating to me, it lags constantly and like what Alex Dobie said " its a butter-free browser" either google will have to improve it, or maybe Amazon has a better browser. Another issue I saw with the nexus 7 was the speakers some videos not even with volume+ you can get any good sound, so I am leaning towards the 8.9 fire HD with 32gb to store my videos and watch them with that stereo Dolby sound quality hoping stronger sound than the 7

Use a sound booster app. And if you don't like web browsing on the N7, you'll hate browsing on whatever Amazon devas have cooked up for their modded gingerbread OS.

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Use a sound booster app. And if you don't like web browsing on the N7, you'll hate browsing on whatever Amazon devas have cooked up for their modded gingerbread OS.

I used volume+ and didnt help, now the fire HD is running ICS according to amazon cs, if the browser on my sgs3 is better than the one in the nexus there is a problem. We will have to see a side by side comparison.

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I used volume+ and didnt help, now the fire HD is running ICS according to amazon cs, if the browser on my sgs3 is better than the one in the nexus there is a problem. We will have to see a side by side comparison.

You are correct.... The new HD's do have ICS.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site

Use speakerbooster, it works fantastic.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463