HDX specs impressive

Rindog

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll start the discussion. The specs for this tablet seem impressive to me The screen resolution and snapdragon 800 processor. I have a 2012 Nexus 7 and have waited until the 2013 Nexus LTE came out and was considering an upgrade. However, viewing the specs on the HDX leave me in doubt about buying another Nexus 7. The only drawbacks I see to the HDX 7 is no backside camera and the LTE is evidently locked to ATT. Interested in others views of the pros and cons of the HDX, granted it isn't out yet and no testing data is available. At least on paper it looks very good.

eskimokissz

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I pre-ordered one through Best Buy - the HDX 7 w/32 gb & wifi. I'm a little concerned because the weight and size listed on BB are different than what they are on Amazon.

BB:
Height 0.4 inches
Width 6.4 inches
Depth 9.4 inches
Weight 1.3 pounds

Amazon:
Size 7.3" x 5.0" x 0.35"
Weight Wi-Fi?10.7 ounces

However I am going to wait until I have it in hand, and see for myself. If it truly is 1.3 lbs, that thing is going back and I will order one from Amazon. Maybe they measured it in the box? lol

I've never had a tablet before, so I'm kind of excited..

Larry Pager

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
The Kindles are a totally different beast from a Nexus tablet, or any other Android tablet.

I owned a Galaxy Tab 10.1 before moving onto a Kindle Fire HD last year. A Nexus or Android tablet is basically bigger Android phone without the phone aspect. Everything an Android phone has, the tablet has. Widgets, google play, all the delicious google apps, etc.

A Kindle is severely restricted in what it can do. No homescreens. No widgets. No google play. No google apps. No youtube app. I don't even think they have netflix. You can get around with sideloading apps and/or rooting (but when I got it the whole rooting scene was nowhere near as developed compared to my Galaxy Tab). Really the whole point of a Kindle is to use Amazon- shopping for stuff, using amazon prime, buying magazines, newspapers, movies, etc. I use it to surf the web, read the ny times, read magazines, read books, watch movies (netflix & prime) and watch youtube. That's it. Sure they have an email app, calendar app, etc, but the functionality will never match a nexus 7.

But if that's what you want, the hdx will be a fantastic device- I love my hd.