1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    159 Global Posts

Default Did anyone else get a "Free Trial" from Amazon?

I got an email yesterday from Amazon giving me a free 30-day trial of any Kindle device. I was skeptical, but sure enough I have a 32gb HDX 7.0 being delivered today for free. I have 30 days to return it or they charge me the $269 for it. I doubt it will replace the Nexus 7, but I couldn't pass up the chance to play around with it.

Default Re: Did anyone else get a "Free Trial" from Amazon?

I got the same email. My 64GB HDX 8.9 arrived this morning. Like you, I don't think it will replace my Nexus 7 but I wanted to play with it. I certainly can't see paying $479 for it. Should be fun to mess around with for a couple weeks though.

I have to confess, I'm extremely impressed by this HDX. By sideloading apps I've been able to find nearly every app I use on my Nexus 7 2013.

Also, this thing is a beast. I ran AnTuTu Benchmark on both the HDX and the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 scored 20,407 while the HDX scored 34,355! In everyday use I've found the Nexus 7 lagging every once in a while but it never bothered me until I started using the HDX. This thing doesn't miss a beat.

I've become addicted to Asphalt 8 and Need For Speed Most Wanted and neither one suffers from any dropped frames that I've noticed.

I might actually end up keeping this thing. Amazon is doing a very smart thing offering this 30 day free trial. Get it in people's hands and let them use it and experience it for themselves. The display is gorgeous and I'm simply amazed how thin and light it is. That was the first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box. My wife uses an iPad 3 and when I handed it to her she couldn't believe it.

Amazon has hit a home run with these Kindle Fire HDX tablets and I'll be ordering a 7" for my son for Christmas. I can't give up my Nexus 7 because it's my GPS in my car, I love the built in AT&T LTE and I'm still a big fan of "stock" Android. I love my Nexus 7, especially for travel, so I'll be keeping it but the 8.9" HDX is my new favorite "at home" tablet.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by tqmcguire View Post
    I have to confess, I'm extremely impressed by this HDX. By sideloading apps I've been able to find nearly every app I use on my Nexus 7 2013.

Also, this thing is a beast. I ran AnTuTu Benchmark on both the HDX and the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 scored 20,407 while the HDX scored 34,355! In everyday use I've found the Nexus 7 lagging every once in a while but it never bothered me until I started using the HDX. This thing doesn't miss a beat.

I've become addicted to Asphalt 8 and Need For Speed Most Wanted and neither one suffers from any dropped frames that I've noticed.

I might actually end up keeping this thing. Amazon is doing a very smart thing offering this 30 day free trial. Get it in people's hands and let them use it and experience it for themselves. The display is gorgeous and I'm simply amazed how thin and light it is. That was the first thing I noticed when I took it out of the box. My wife uses an iPad 3 and when I handed it to her she couldn't believe it.

Amazon has hit a home run with these Kindle Fire HDX tablets and I'll be ordering a 7" for my son for Christmas. I can't give up my Nexus 7 because it's my GPS in my car, I love the built in AT&T LTE and I'm still a big fan of "stock" Android. I love my Nexus 7, especially for travel, so I'll be keeping it but the 8.9" HDX is my new favorite "at home" tablet.

Mine is on my way. I'm looking forward to the trial, although I expect that I'll be using Amazon to play with a new toy rather than keeping it. Anyway, mind sharing the apps that you sideloaded? I'm wondering what I might be missing with the Fire.

Global Posts
    154 Global Posts

I just picked up 2 hdx 7s for my kids for Christmas. I'm very impressed and thinking I may get the 8.9 for myself. I need to look into the side loading and how easy it us, as that's about all I'm missing (a few apps).

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Curious as to how many of you ended up keeping them? Just got an 8.9 to try out this week .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by codeda View Post
    Curious as to how many of you ended up keeping them? Just got an 8.9 to try out this week .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    I got an 8.9, kept it for a little less than two weeks and sent it back. I do a fair amount of travelling and my hope was that I could use my Amazon Prime to entertain myself while on the train or plane. The reality was that because Prime is blocked on the train and you can't pin Prime movies for offline viewing, it turned into nothing more than a nice extra TV for home or a reading device. And as great as the screen is for reading, I'm not faithful to buying books at just Amazon, or just B&N, or just Google. I look for the best price and although you can side load Nook, the performance was always poor, like Amazon was punishing me for doing it.

That said, I the screen is beautiful and if I was only interested in Amazon it would be a nearly perfect device. I like the tweener size of my wife's LG G Pad 8.3 or the Note 8.0 better than the 8.9 or 7in form factors.
    Thanked by:
    codeda