Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Kindle Fire HDX becomes so laggy it's unusable

For some reason, my Kindle Fire (purchased last November) has become increasingly laggy, to the point where it can take 15-20 seconds to respond to a system control like sliding the login slider, entering a password, clicking on a dialog button etc.

I've tried rebooting, I've tried wiping, I'd removed files and I've used cleaner apps. Nothing seems to help. I suspect amazon did an update which caused this.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone found a solution? It's making me miserable that hardware this new can become so utterly unresponsive so easily.

Default Re: Kindle Fire HDX becomes so laggy it's unusable

By wiping do you mean you attempted a factory reset on the device?

If you have and that still didn't resolve things I would contact Amazon support and see what they offer.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Consider removing unwanted apps. It worked for me.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

So - an update on this. I have done the following:

- Restarted ... no luck
    - Wiped the device and started over ... works for a bit, then the lagginess resumes
    - Closed background apps ... still doesn't last
    - Removed unwanted apps ... doesn't work
    - Call Amazon. Level 1 had no tech skill (they solve purchase issues). Level 2 asked me if I did the above, which I already had. Then said they would send a ticket to the engineers, who never replied, nor were followup inquiries acknowledged.

Honestly, it was a terrible experience. My working theory is that the Fire has terrible memory management. I can slow it to a complete crawl by a) watching videos; b) flipping to the browser; or c) flipping to Facebook.

I also note that it gets slower the more media you put on it. Stick dozens of videos on it or hundreds of MP3s and it just gets brutally slow. In fact, every time I open the video app, it has to re-render all the thumbnails. This suggests Amazon spent almost no effort on managing media not from Amazon. But even when reading a book from Amazon, I can find it freezes and locks up.

Because it freezes and locks up constantly, if FIRE OS 4.0 doesn't show major performance improvements, it's getting replaced. Never been so frustrated with a device. Shame because the hardware looks great.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Updated to Fire OS 4.0.

Same fracken issues. Was good for a couple days, then --- the old "Freeze-lag" returned. Reboots didn't fit it. Resets didn't fix it.

How this garbage ever got released is beyond me.