SIM Card with the current Thinkpad Tablet?

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, So I was reading some reviews of the thinkpad tablet, and read that someone claimed they used the SIM card slot and got data.

Can anyone here with one confirm/deny that you can use a SIM card and what provider to get 3g data? If you could get that, that would be pretty sweet.

Thanks

shodanjr_gr

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I read the same thing elsewhere and just tried on y 1838-25U 32Gb but nothing haooened even after a restart. I think its unlikely that the devices ship with a 3G modem, they dont seem to show an IMeI number anywhere in the software or the box .

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Those guys modded the tablets to get 3g. I was more wondering what the SIM card for the wifi tablet does? Does it not allow 3g?

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
My understanding is that the SIM card contains your account and provider information and the modem provides connectivity. Therefore, both are required for 3g access. I have not used a device with a removable SIM card, but this is what I have gathered for internet sources. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to be Productive

JamMasterClay

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I find two things curious...1, it appears that the slot for the sim card has connections there - it's not just a dummy slot as most manufacturers put in as a placeholder. 2, under battery usage cell standby is almost always the second on the list - why would the os report it is using battery if the modem doesnt exist?

Unfortunately i am on verizon so i dont have a sim card to test it with...unless theyre 4g sim cards will work, i could pick up one of thise.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I bought mine from MacConnection... in the shipping email, under item it said " TP TAB 16GB WIFI 3G GOBI-NO PE"

Last edited:

Ocelaris

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I popped my AT&T sim card (with data plan) into a Lenovo Thinkpad Tabled at the store, and it didn't do anything... rebooted, nothing... wondering if there was some hack? would love to not be locked into a plan with AT&T or Verizon

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
I believe the current ThinkPad also needs Cellular Modem in addition to the SIM card. Later this year they will be coming out with a model that already has that modem built in.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I believe the current ThinkPad also needs Cellular Modem in addition to the SIM card. Later this year they will be coming out with a model that already has that modem built in.

As I posted earlier, this thread in our forum should explain that a 3G modem is required for your SIM card to work. It also shows a TPT cracked open showing the location of the cellular modem. I think we have all wondered at some point if the device actually has a 3G modem and if it was only system disabled, but right now I am happy with WiFi and will let someone else crack some open and find the out if any models have the modem on board.

http://thinkpadtabletforums.com/thinkpadtabletforum/index.php?topic=74.0

JamMasterClay

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I know that the device needs the modem to work with a sim card, my point was that why would android report that cellular standby is taking 10% of battery use if there is no cellular modem inside? Seeing as there is no way to turn off cellular in the settings, and even putting it in airplane mode doesn't affect the cell standby in battery info my guess is that it's there, but the havent made the connection between the hardware and software...something that may be accomplished with an update.

setdosa

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
@jammasterclay, i am just as curious ..what is this cell stdby that is using up the battery which in my case is in 40% range

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
The Acer tablet showed cell standby as well until it was corrected with an OTA upgrade and it has been reported in another thread that this will be fixed in the TPT in an upgrade scheduled this month.

setdosa

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks but I wonder if that would mean that they would remove the drivers. Atleast now I know that I can buy the card and install it myself. My model says 1838cto which no one elapsed mentioned on this thread. Does anyone know if it will have the cables too?

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, is that a problem? :D

No problem, I just wanted to establish that it was a 3G TPT. In the US, we only have the WiFi version at this point, but it still has a SIM slot, so there is considerable dabate over the slot's functionality and the ability to install and/or activate a 3G modem.