Hello.... Needing some advice.

haawkes

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone. I'm new here to the forums and am hoping you all can help me make a better decision. I am trying to decide between two tablets for my 11 year old daughter. Myself being a techie, I need to keep in mind that what is important to me is not necessarily important to her. I am trying to decide between the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Lenovo IdeaPad K1. The 32GB K1 is on sale over at Office Depot for $300. The refurb 16GB Galaxy was over at Woot last week for about $20 more.

What is important to her is the camera/video cabilities, the gameplay, watching videos/movies, listening to music, and the app store. I think she would be happy with either one, but the IdeaPad is new, has twice the memory and seems to get better reviews regarding the camera quality. It's a bit heavier, but she wouldn't notice either way. I'd love to hear from some current owners of the K1 and even better, if you've had experience with both.

ICS would be something I would be exctied about, but explaining that to her would be like... whatever. I appreciate any feedback/advice/comments, etc.

Hawkes

dmandel#WN

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd go for the K1 given that it is new (not a refurb), works well as a standard Android tablet, has a easy to use interface (for selecting and closing apps, especially) and has been receiving updates from Lenovo. I know there is also a "Family" Galaxy for a bit more, but not sure it is worth it. I got my K1 at $350 and felt it was a very good deal as it is comparable to $400-$500 tablets with the same specs and capabilities.

David

haawkes

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback David. I notcied that Best Buy had the Transformer 16GB for $300 as well. Since I'm sure it's going to be between the K1 and the Transformer, do you have any additional thoughts?

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
if you can get the transformer @ 300, get it. If not the K1 is great.

(BB doesnt offer to ship it, you can get it only if its in stock in a nearby store)

dmandel#WN

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I like both devices and may have purchased the Transformer if the price was the same. I enjoy having the extra memory and have not had any real problems with the K1. One issue, not sure how widespread among Android devices, is the need to do a factory reset after a ROM upgrade (even if the system appears to work after the upgrade). Needed to do it twice to stabilize all apps.

lordwalker

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I too am facing this decision. 16gb Transformer for $399 or 32gb Lenovo for $299.

Does anyone know if the spotty connectivity on the Lenovo has been resolved through updates or not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis