App crashing Chrome

AllanPen

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a Lenovo Tab3 Essential 7". It was only a hundred bucks and I bought it for one sole reason: to act as a WIFI FM radio; earphone connected to an ageing stereo system. That part of it works great using the included FM Radio app. However when I run another FM app (CBC Music) it runs for a few secs and halts. I believe the app is using Chrome. I can restart it by reopening CBC Music and it will do the same thing again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back! Are you talking about this app? CBC Music. That's an app, and shouldn't be using Chrome. Are you installing it directly from Google Play Store? If not, there's a possibility that it's not compatible with your device (since the Play Store wouldn't let you install it in this situation). If you downloaded it from some other source, it might let you try to install it without letting you know it's incompatible.

AllanPen

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
That's the one, but included in the app is a "cbcmusic.ca" link that uses Chrome. All I can figure is the Android version which is 5.1 I think or Lollipop. The app and link work fine on my Moto x Play phone which is Marshmellow.
A big duhh on my part; it is not the app; it's Chrome that is crashing. The app is just a means to get there and obviously one can just type the cbcmusic into the address bar and not use the app at all. I'll try again tomorrow; off to the land of nod.
Thanks for the reply; at least it got me thinking, which is tough.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The recent reviews on that Google Play Store page mention a lot of crashes, so you might have to wait until (or hope for) an update from the developers.

AllanPen

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes I noticed that, but in my case (as I said in previous post) the problem appears to be with Chrome as all the app does is provide a link to outside the app. I wasn't thinking to clearly when I blamed the app as Chrome or the web site (cbcmusic.ca) is the culprit.
Thanks again

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Now that's strange--you'd think that in 2016, no one would be making an app that simply links you to Chrome! :confused:

EDIT: Ok, I just installed the app. It opens to a streaming page--you don't see that? Mine currently looks like this:

Screenshot_20160925-114258.jpg

I only see the option to link to the website when I tap the menu button at the upper left. Are you seeing the above screen when you open the app?

AllanPen

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
That's it. to get to cbcmusic click on the three bars top left. There you will see second from top "cbcmusic.ca". Click on that and you are in cbcmusic.ca. Top three bars again and you get a menu. I choose "genres" and from there select "Classical or what ever.

AllanPen

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Ooops sorry I hadn't read "I only see the option to link to the website when I tap the menu button at the upper left. Are you seeing the above screen when you open the app?" So yes that's it and the only way to get to the "genres" I mentioned.
I see my previous reply is waiting moderator approval.
Anyways yes to the website link then you get to select "genres"

It really is all my fault. Call it a senior's moment. It just never dawned on me that this was only a web site that I could access directly and nothing really to do with the app.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I understand now. From what I can tell, the CBC Music app only streams CBC Radio 2. As you noted, it looks like you have to access the mobile site on Chrome to select genres.

Try going to Settings>Apps. select Chrome, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now try again with CBC Radio.

Another thing to do is to make sure your Android System Webview app is up to date--search for it in the Google Play Store.

AllanPen

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
A little off topic, but maybe not. Would re-imagiing Lollipop with Marshmallow be feasable? I don't want to brick it, but I see suggestions on how to up to Marshmallow. Lenovo is not known for keeping up to date.
I can't get on the tablet to do as you suggested as my beloved has her music going.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't mess around with manually updating the firmware. It would presumably be a custom ROM, and those can be buggy. Plus, if you do something wrong with the rooting or flashing process, you could just brick the device.

Just curious--would the CBC Radio app give you what you're looking for?

AllanPen

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't mess around with manually updating the firmware. It would presumably be a custom ROM, and those can be buggy. Plus, if you do something wrong with the rooting or flashing process, you could just brick the device.

Just curious--would the CBC Radio app give you what you're looking for?

I'll heed your advice re flashing.
Yes we have that CBC app. That's what she listens to her (have to have) CBC2 FM live.
Thanks again for all your help; much appreciated.