Browser opening when I unlock

Richard Kirk

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
I have had my Vibe Shot about 6 months, however, recently, every time I unlock my Vibe Shot the browser opens and shows adverts of a distasteful nature or adverts telling me I've won an iPhone. Can anyone tell me how to stop this happening. The browser does not show the URL, so I can't block the sites.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! First, go to Settings>Apps, select your Browser, and Clear Cache/Clear Data (be aware that this will erase any saved bookmarks). If that doesn't help, then you probably have some adware installed on the phone (that was likely part of another app--usually a game). In that case, you'd have to uninstall apps one by one until the popups go away.

Richard Kirk

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
I have done a complete factory reset, clearing all the installed apps, only the factory original apps still on the phone but it is still happening.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How about Safe Mode? Even though you did a factory reset, some apps might have automatically reinstalled. Safe Mode will temporarily disable all 3rd party apps. On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

If it persists in Safe Mode, then I'd be concerned about malware that installed itself to the system root. This can be difficult to get rid of, and usually requires reinstalling the firmware. I'm not sure if this is possible on your phone--try searching the forums at XDA-developers.com.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC