bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
It's an ok little entry level device. I'd probably sell it to first- time Android users. I like the keyboard, and the UI is kind of clean and simple.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

twinturbostang

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Thinking about getting it for my Wife. We recently upgraded. I got the Droid Incredible and she got the enV3, which she didn't end up liking at all. It's very slow (slower than our previous enV2's it appears), and call quality was not very good. So we returned that, and decided to upgrade her to an Android phone. She doesn't need the all-out power of the Incredible, and prefers to have a physical keyboard. Never was a fan of the Moto Droid styling, so the Ally seems to be the ticket.

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Ally is a good entry-level Android phone, definitely looked at in my store as the chick-flick to the Incredible's gladiator movie.. :D

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
question for Ally users...

Does the camera on the Ally have a setting to take multiple pictures with just one press of the button, similar to what some LG dumbphones, such as the dare, had?

I have two kids and I need a decent camera on my phone. The dare one was great for that, out of 9 pix you know you'd get one good one. This 2mp camera on the bb curve is KILLING me

katdoc

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone give some insight into features of this phone, likes/ dislikes? I am planning on dropping my Blackberry & was looking at Moto Droid but just got promo from VZW that included this phone. Previously LG made good phones but just finding negative rhetoric w/ no facts elsewhere in the forums. Would like some actual user input to help me deciede which Android phone I want.

imchrishanson

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I've had the phone since May 27th and I like it so far, I get a good signal where I live and work so browsing and downloading apps is pretty fast. The physical keyboard on this device is excellent, I have never used the virtual keyboard for anything. With that said the touch screen is responsive, I rarely have to click on something more than once. Great solid android device, you won't miss your blackberry...

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Thinking about getting it for my Wife. We recently upgraded. I got the Droid Incredible and she got the enV3, which she didn't end up liking at all. It's very slow (slower than our previous enV2's it appears), and call quality was not very good. So we returned that, and decided to upgrade her to an Android phone. She doesn't need the all-out power of the Incredible, and prefers to have a physical keyboard. Never was a fan of the Moto Droid styling, so the Ally seems to be the ticket.

I'm actually replacing my enV Touch (my day to day talking and texting phone) with an Ally... played with it in two stores today and picked one up at BB for $50 (no rebate), so far so good. Not a speed demon but I don't need it to be. The only thing I can say I dont like so far is the lack of storage space for apps. It has only a little over a hundred MB fresh out of the box before installing anything.

This is gonna have to be a trim install for me but that's OK I don't want the extra stuff on this one that will drain my battery.... I have the DInc for the fancy stuff :)

I see Best Buy has it for $50. Cheaper than at Verizon.

yup, cost me $53 something out the door :)

Can anyone give some insight into features of this phone, likes/ dislikes? I am planning on dropping my Blackberry & was looking at Moto Droid but just got promo from VZW that included this phone. Previously LG made good phones but just finding negative rhetoric w/ no facts elsewhere in the forums. Would like some actual user input to help me deciede which Android phone I want.

It's still very new but I will give it a try. As stated above the memory issue is kinda sucky but I NEED a good physical keyboard to text with and the Droid and Devour are NOT it. This one is 200x better than the Droid and 100x better than the devour.

From my initail impressions I would say that if you want a phone to use for talking and texting and running a handful of apps on it then Ally is a good choice. If you are really into the apps then you should probably pass...

LG takes a lot of crap over their feature (non-smart) phones but I loved the Voyager and enV Touch and I know a lot of people who had enV 2's who loved them.

Last edited:

bigpetefox

A delicious bass...
Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Apps2SD should help with the memory issues.. ;)

I tend to sell the Ally mainly to older customers, teens, and people who just don't "get it" when it comes to the heavier devices. Just throw a big microSD in there, and maybe someone will root it sometime.

katdoc

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Just stopped by my local VZW store & they finally had 1 in. Played with it & I didn't notice a huge difference in responsiveness from the Moto Droids I played with. As long as they keep up with updates, it seems like it should be fine. Hope I can order it next week.

rmaybach

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
My story:

I really like my Ally. I started with the Droid (fell in love with Android OS, hated the form factor and keyboard), then the Eris (LOVED the form factor and Sense UI, but missed the physical QWERTY), so I paid full retail for the Ally, and have been very pleased. I have since bought a Droid X (great phone for video, games, web browsing, etc, too big for everything else- returned it), and just now a Droid 2 (Improvement over the Droid, but not mind blowing, the keyboard still sucks). I simply cant get away from the fantastic keyboard the Ally has, and its frankly powerful enough for my needs (phone, text, gmail, light web browsing). I would love it to get 2.2.

I'm an outlier I know, but the "better" phones aren't better than the Ally, at least for me, despite the fact its basically outdated already, and probably not far from being discontinued.

Last edited:

Trevst1

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
My story:

I really like my Ally. I started with the Droid (fell in love with Android OS, hated the form factor and keyboard), then the Eris (LOVED the form factor and Sense UI, but missed the physical QWERTY), so I paid full retail for the Ally, and have been very pleased. I have since bought a Droid X (great phone for video, games, web browsing, etc, too big for everything else- returned it), and just now a Droid 2 (Improvement over the Droid, but not mind blowing, the keyboard still sucks). I simply cant get away from the fantastic keyboard the Ally has, and its frankly powerful enough for my needs (phone, text, gmail, light web browsing). I would love it to get 2.2.

I'm an outlier I know, but the "better" phones aren't better than the Ally, at least for me, despite the fact its basically outdated already, and probably not far from being discontinued.

Thanks for the input. I'm a newby to Android and jumped in and got the DInc....I'm dissappointed in battery life and I really miss the keyboard from my BB's. I'm really a light to medium user, so the DInc may be too much phone for me. I really just text, email, a few calls, and some web browing. The only apps I run are moola (a great checkbook program) and the weather channel widget. I am concerned about the web browsing, as I've just discovered that the htc sense interface resizes and centers upon pinch and zoom....and that this feature is not on all android phones.....that fact alone my keep me with the DInc lol...
so anyways, would anyone care to post about the ally's battery life and web browsing? I'd appreciate it!

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
My wife and daughter are very happy with theirs. Battery life seems ok. 2.2 isn't on the Ally yet, and I don't see it on the schedule either. But it already has all five home screens, tho' no Flash. So that's the only deal breaker to me, when is Flash/2.2 coming to it? If it's not a deal breaker to you, these really are nice phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87