1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default uninstalling vs. deleting apk

I just rooted my LG Ally last night because the internal memory is so infernally small and I need some room. I downloaded SystemApps Freezer and Remover from the market and began "deleting" unwanted apps (myspace, amazon, city id, etc.). Except that they are still appearing on my apps list in "Manage Applications" (under different names -- com.amazon blah blah vs. just Amazon Shop or whatever) and they're still taking up space. When I look at my apps list in Titanium Backup, these apps are listed with a line through them, and when I select them, "uninstall" looks like its an option, but it doesn't do anything when I select it.

So, is deleting the apk for an app different from uninstalling it? Is there some way for me to get these annoying things off my phone without doing a factory reset and going through the rooting process again?
    Racer of Elevators

ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Default Re: uninstalling vs. deleting apk

Freezing an app usually just changes its name by a couple of characters, causing it not to appear in your apps drawer and stopping it from running (great for apps like Maps). Uninstalling or removing an app is going into the /system/app folder and removing it, or copying it to a folder on your SD card as a backup, then deleting it.

I suggest :

1. Install a custom recovery and do a nandroid backup of your entire rooted stock image. This way if you remove something, you can always just wipe and restore to get things working again.

2. The easiest way to remove bloatware and get your internal resources back is to install a custom ROM designed specifically for your device model. If you want to go further in your efforts, search for a guide of what is safe to remove and what effects such removal may have.

Good luck!
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.