Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Default LG Ally- GPS Location problems

I have the new LG Ally and I am having a lot of problems with the GPS. The majority of the time if I go to Google Maps and try to locate my location I receive the error "Your current location is temporarily unavailable". I have tried this in various locations and tried outside of course several times and tried rebooting the phone etc but still no luck. Is anyone else having this location problem with the LG Ally?

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Is your GPS on?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Yes, the GPS is on. It works sometimes but not very often.

Had similar problems this week in San Antonio, using my daughter's Ally since it was handier than my Droid. I do recall having some issues like that early on with my Droid...so I wonder if it goes away somewhere, maybe with a software update? I did grab my Droid finally when I was lost and needed to know! It worked great. So there is something slightly wrong right now with the Ally's GPS functions.

Still no change in either Ally we own. Gps no workie. Hardware? Software?

Problem solved. For anyone else, there are THREE locations buttons to ensure are checked, one in Privacy, one in Security, and one in the Browser/Settings/More...who knew?

I checked all three of these boxes and still no gps love ... I have a replacement on the way because of the gps and random resets. Anyone else having any issues with random reboots, I just got the phone yesterday

Grab GPS Test from the market, and you'll know whether the gps itself is working. That app tells you the number of sats it's reading and strength, etc. Once you know the gps is working, and it probably is, it's a setting somewhere that isn't set right. If it's NOT working, new phone.

Default Location..

I have LG Ally and sometimes my GPS takes FOREVER to find my location. After a couple months it started to sometimes find it almost right away, maybe after my first service update? But I wasn't sure if most people with Ally's had this problem or just me.

It's sporadic. I even had the problem yesterday with my orig. Droid...took 20 min. to lock onto the sats. Rebooted and everything. Sometimes, it's just the nature of gps navigation.

i have this issue. over all its no big deal. you just have to close google maps completely with force close or advanced task manager and reopen sometimes you have to pull that battery but the force close normaly works

Default GPS problems

I don't think it's a software thing, I think it's a hardware thing. I downloaded an app called GPS Status, which does a good job of tracking satellites... how many are detected, how many are locked on to, and long/lat coordinates. But long/lat coordinates are only displayed after the processor in the phone calculates them based on satellite position. I can be locked on to 10 satellites, and long/lat still are not displayed. Other times, it's instant. I've experienced other apps simply exiting out completely when the processor/memory in the phone are being over-taxed, and I think this is related to that. I'm going to try stripping down the phone so that absolutely nothing is running, and locking GPS again.. we'll see what happens.

I've had the exact same problem a couple times with my orig. Droid. So it's not hardware specific...once it took 10-15 minutes to lock on all the Sats that it could clearly see. Weird. But I've had gps' for a long time, and weird stuff happens. Once you do have a lock, you should then be able to nav/see yourself on the map, etc. and get location info in Places, etc. IF you have the 3 things all turned on.

Default LG Ally GPS issues

We got 2 LG Ally's in September 2010. When the phones were purchased, we were told they had GPS. We were also told since they were smart phones that we must have a Data Package. This was acceptable as the GPS is what was needed.

The Ally's have had GPS issues since the beginning. The LG Ally typically shows the location as being off by many miles (typically about 15-20 miles). We brought this up to Verizon. We had a conference call with LG in January, in which LG admitted that the phones have issues. LG stated that there would be a patch (update) to fix this. All patches to date (Feb 25, 2011) have been applied. The GPS is still MILES off.

Verizon in January sent us a message stating they would credit 3 months of data for the phones. This was verified with another Verizon agent in another phone call in January.

2 billings later, after not receiving a credit, Verizon was contacted to see why. They then reneged and stated that they would NOT issue a credit.

This problem is known by both LG and Verizon. Verizon is not standing behind their product (the Ally), even though it is advertised as having GPS.

It is known by many that the LG Ally has issues. If you are contemplating buying one, DON'T. If you are thinking of using Verizon, do it with caution, and watch your billings. We have caught many errors in the 7+ years of service.

If you have issues with Verizon, cancel immediately. Do not wait any length of time for them to rectify situations. We have found they make promises, drag the issue on as long as possible, then don't honor what they stated, even stated in writing. They simply state, "The data package is what we provide, you pay for, and recieve."

The data package was required for a phone that was advertised as having GPS. Had it been known the GPS did not work, we would not have needed a data package, or the phones. We now have to pay for 6 months of data service, that we intended for a particular purpose, that has never worked satisfactorily.

Stay well.

Default Re: LG Ally- GPS Location problems

Quote Originally Posted by bleacher View Post
    I have the new LG Ally and I am having a lot of problems with the GPS. The majority of the time if I go to Google Maps and try to locate my location I receive the error "Your current location is temporarily unavailable". I have tried this in various locations and tried outside of course several times and tried rebooting the phone etc but still no luck. Is anyone else having this location problem with the LG Ally?
    My ally came with data roaming enabled by default. Unchecking data roaming in the phone settings has made the gps aquuire locations more reliably. This repy was sent from my lg ally.