68 Global Posts

Default 2.2?

is this phone going to get 2.2?
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

maybe.. I wouldn't put too much stock in it though. This is LG's first android phone for verizon so you would hope they want to see it do well (and it should handle 2.2) but it all depends on how much Google/Verizon pressure them to update it.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

honestly how do you like this phone... how does it compair to the moto droid
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,515 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Just read this from the LG forums. It states the Alley will get 2.2

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Tmak04,

If you do a YouTube search you will find a couple of videos comparing the Moto Droid to the Ally. Do you already have a Moto Droid? If so, I wouldn't recommend replacing it with an Ally. I'd wait for the Droid 2. If you are looking to get into Android cheaply and are a tinkerer I would recommend the Moto Droid. It's been around for a long time and there are a number of ROMs available as well as methods to overclock the CPU. Either way, I think both phones are great...just different.

Steve in CT

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

If the phone is for an Android "rookie" (someone new to Android and not necessarily thinking about rooting their phone), the Ally makes for a great starter, especially if you're a fan of Big Red's network. If migrating from another Android phone, then the Droid 2 (possibly the X, if you need a larger screen, or the Samsung Fascinate if you want the ****-kicker combo of S-AMOLED and Android on VZW) would make more sense than the Ally or even a Droid.

Quote Originally Posted by PGHammer21A View Post
    If the phone is for an Android "rookie" (someone new to Android and not necessarily thinking about rooting their phone), the Ally makes for a great starter, especially if you're a fan of Big Red's network. If migrating from another Android phone, then the Droid 2 (possibly the X, if you need a larger screen, or the Samsung Fascinate if you want the ****-kicker combo of S-AMOLED and Android on VZW) would make more sense than the Ally or even a Droid.
    Not necessarily true, the keyboard is one of the best out of most phones I've checked out. Also not everyone is a fan of carrying around a 3.7" or 4" phone, there's several reasons why experienced Android users would pick this phone- it's a matter of preference, and the keyboard being one of them for me since the virtual keyboard isn't always that great, and I don't like the Milestone's keyboard. I have a Motorola Charm which has a nice keyboard as well but that device has its limits, and I'm not liking Motorola anymore anyhow.
    HTC Desire / CyanogenMod 7.1
    Motorola can kiss my a##

FYI for those interested, my wife picked up an ally last night. When we were in the VZW store there was an LG rep there and she confirmed that 2.2 was approved for the Ally and should be released soon. She couldn't give me a firm date though.
    Moto. Droid
    Rooted - Liquid Gingerbread 1.2
    ADW Launcher

Droid FTW!

My wife just got the 2.2 OTA last night, seemed to install just fine from what she said. I haven't checked it out on her phone but she did call and say she was able to download angry birds so she's happy..LOL
    Moto. Droid
    ADW Launcher

Droid FTW!

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

Ah, thanks for letting us know. Will ask my women if they got their 2.2's.

Update...

What I thought was 2.2 is apparently some type of 2.1-1 build that was pushed down to her Ally last night. She does indeed have angry birds now on her phone but short of that it seems to some sort of other OTA update. I'll play around with it more tonight after work and see what else there is to it.
    Moto. Droid
    ADW Launcher

Droid FTW!

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

Ah, still waiting for any updates on our 2 Ally's. As of last night, nuttin'.

Finally got my update last night around 7:30. A couple of apps had to be uninstalled and redownloaded, but nothing major.

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

Not 2.2. 2.1 update 1, which we had on the Droid many months ago...no Flash available.

I'm starting to think I need to take my phone back and get a newer model that already has 2.2 since LG doesn't want to give us 2.2. I want Flash 10!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

My wife's begging for Swype...will this only work with 2.2 or is it another hardware limitation?

FYI...The Verizon Store guy said that the Ally processor not fast enough to handle 2.2. I choose not to belive him.

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

I am learning that it IS slower. Didn't notice it at first, but my daughter runs Angry Birds, barely, and it'll forceclose at times. So once we load 'em up with apps and all, there is a discernible difference. Not enough to bother with usually, and it would be nice to have 2.2.

The Ally has a 600 MHz processor with 256M RAM as apposed to the Dinc's 1Gig Snapdragon processor and 512M RAM. My wife is really mad at Angry Birds so it's working pretty well on her Ally.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BuDMaN 53 View Post
    FYI...The Verizon Store guy said that the Ally processor not fast enough to handle 2.2. I choose not to belive him.
    As usual, the guy at verizon is an *****...
    DInc...

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

and yet, no 2.2....so he may just be saying what others above him have been saying.

I spoke with a Verizon rep on the phone yesterday, she told me (if she is to be believed) the they are skipping 2.2 because of software issues on the Ally and other phones running 2.1 and going straight to 2.3 and the update should be out "soon".

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

Really? Last night, had a meltdown of sorts on wife's Ally. She's no power user, but after downloading the Angry Birds update, she couldn't open it, and wondered why she wasn't getting automatic updates for anything.

And then I remembered, 2.2 lets us move things to the card, and set Automatic Update on our apps. So she dumped a bunch of stuff that she doesn't use, it would run, but just barely. She's been running it on an iTouch, so this was the first try on the Ally. It was in molasses.

So the Ally definitely is NOT what I'd first thought. Now I see VZW is running out a new Moto midrange/lowpriced phone...but it's too late for us.I think I can no longer recommend this until/unless 2.3 resolves some of this.

I can run Angry Birds just fine, but I use Launcher Pro along with System Panel Lite, and that makes a huge difference.
    When I first got my phone, before I realized it can't handle a lot of apps installed at the same time, I made the mistake of downloading like 25+ apps. The thing would hardly run! I decided to do a full reset and start all over, this time with the above mentioned apps, and it's rare I have a meltdown now.
    I was also very disappointed with the Ally at first, but now that I know what to actually expect from it, it's not too bad. Actually, I'm tethering with it right now as I type.

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

My daughter's is fine, she runs AB just fine. Maybe I need to check the wife's running apps setting to see what else might be afoot...and get her a file manager to move some things and delete more...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast