Ally for my daughter?

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
My daughter would like to get an Android-based phone. Okay, specifically, she'd like me to get her an Android-based phone. (And I have to say I like the idea mainly for one reason: the 'Where's My Droid' application since she's always misplacing her Alias2...on silent mode.)

She's 13 (going on 30), texts more than she talks. And she doesn't like my Droid vI as it's "too big", but she prefers a physical keyboard to a virtual one, which kinda constrains how small a phone she can get.

Stuck with Verizon (semi-happily), which further reduces our options to Droid 2, LG Ally, or wait a bit longer to see what shows up?

So what do you LG Ally owners think? I've heard some people complain about battery life, and others poo-poo them as morons. Any limitations you've noticed? Any complaints? Any songs of praise and adoration?

Really looking for what I can find out that I won't learn standing in the store for 20 minutes playing with it.

- Dave

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I have two friends with the Ally. They like them but their biggest complaints are the battery and the lag when unlocking the phone. It is a good starter Android phone. I almost got one myself but after some research and playing with one in the store I went with the Original Droid. I too thought it was too big but the size grows on you. Just take your daughter to the store and let her play with them. Also show her the Droid 2 compared the the DX it's looks tiny next to it! :) Good luck! I mean if you're gonna pay 30 bucks extra why not get the newest thing out there? Even if she is only 13...I vote for the D2.

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Read some of the other threads! There's not that many. There are two Allys in my family, I have the Droid. Until 2.2 was released I actually liked theirs a bit more, they're sleeker, easier to handle, five homescreens already, and much better keyboard (tho' that's moot now that I've found Smart Keyboard. I don't need the real one anymore!)....and nothing NOT to like. BUT now, 2.2 isn't even on the release schedule for the Ally, which means that Flash isn't on their phones. So some webpages you can't see. That's the only downside. Otherwise great phones.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I had some of the same questions as you when my wife was looking for a new phone. She prefers a physical keyboard and even after getting used to my Dinc, she still wanted a physical keyboard. She didn't like the Droid keyboard or the size of the phone. The Ally was free through Wirefly so she gave it a try. We figured the worst that could happen was that we would exchange it and she would go back to Blackberry. She's really liked the Ally and what Android brings over Blackberry. Battery life is typical for Android devices, she will get a day so long as she doesn't use the GPS without an adapter.

Steve in CT

Sent from my Incredible using Tapatalk

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm an Android power user and have some of the best devices out there but the Ally is my daily driver (as Phil calls it) that I take everywhere. The battery life is actually quite good compared to other Android phones. They keyboard top notch, and I don't really think it lags that much at all. Hopefully we will eventually get Froyo and any lag will be gone.

Some specific points

* The battery life is good and I get a full day use out of it most days but a second battery can be found if needed.
* One of the few things I don't like about it is the fact that removing said battery is a pain, it's fairly fat and you need to kind of pry it out of there which isn't always easy, good thing I don't do it often.

Here is a link to my min review of it http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-ally/18731-lg-ally-now-my-day-ti-day-phone-mini-review.html

Specific questions please feel fee to ask

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol