Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Wink Need help rooting please!

Ok, so I must be an android dummy lol. I have read how to root my phone and I seriously don't get it. I need step by step instructions on how to do it. I also downloaded something called androot or something that supposedly rooted my phone but I'm not seeing a difference. I also downloaded a rom manager. So I may need to delete these...I don't know. But my phone seems to actually be slower after installing those things. So could someone please help me with detailed dummy instructions on how to root? Thanks in advance

I would also love dummy instructions on how to root the Ally...
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

This is the most I've found:
    Root your LG Ally Android Phone Easily! | Gadgets DNA
    It's not "dummy instructions" but you most likely won't find those for this device.

Androot doesn't work on the ally, it was built for specific devices. There won't be many custom roms either. The only one I've found is Dapper Duck. Phones like the Ally won't have a big development community because most developers will have a Galaxy S phone, or Droids or something similar.

What rooting would give you is the ability to use root only apps, like setCPU to better manage your battery, and possibly wifi tethering apps.
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.
    Thanked by:
    katvo 

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I came across this one, have not tried it yet though, so I can not say for sure how or if it works.
    Android Ally
    There are also a couple themes and what not available too. There are also a couple pretty good how to videos on youtube that demonstrate with files from 4shared.com, using universal androot.apk.
    Once I try them I will let you know!
    Last edited by Ghosttown; 11-12-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: phrasing

I ended up rooting my Ally last night with z4root from the market. To the OP, this is the easiest root ever. It's literally one click and takes all of 30 seconds.

[QUOTE=menno;425924]
    Androot doesn't work on the ally, it was built for specific devices. There won't be many custom roms either. The only one I've found is Dapper Duck. Phones like the Ally won't have a big development community because most developers will have a Galaxy S phone, or Droids or something similar.QUOTE]

Androot does work on the Ally, it's just not officially supported. Here is a thread on Velocity's Custom Rom. I use it and makes my Ally run a lot faster. There are also a custom Turbo JIT and overclocking kernel:

[ROM] Velocity V0.3 | LG Ally | Fast | VZB | Android 2.1 | Stable - Android Forums

Here is another custom rom also with custom Turbo JIT and overclocking kernel called Raptor:

Raptor v0.1 Release super fast and stable - Android Forums

Custom ROMs remove all the Verizon bloatware that slows the phone down.
    ROM Developer

There are several metods to root the ally.

1. Flash my recovery via fastboot and flash superuser.zip

2. Androot works great

3. rageagainstthecage method

4. z4root etc may work too but untested my me.

There are a few roms and I have made some lib.so's that enable the jit compiler and have a overclovked kernel I made too for some extra performance.

ROM
    UD 2.0

I rooted a buddy of mines Ally bout a month ago and these were my exact steps:
    1 type this url in on your phones browser http://bit.ly/bYPBfq
    2 Once downloaded and installed
    3 Download superuser from the market and install to ally
    4 Once you do this reboot phone, you are then rooted with superuser permissions.

Then to install a rom you can use clockworkmod from the market
    The best rom we have found is velocity 3.0 - allthough its a build on 2.1 android it still supports wifi tethering and app2sd
    Hope this helps
    Thanked by:

ROM
    ICS blazer ROM

Hey everyone. I'm having some trouble with this. I downloaded androot and when I click root. It loads and then keeps saying I failed....any pointers?

Sent from my FroyoEris using Tapatalk

ROM
    Stock

I cheated and used Z4 root on a friend's Ally. Worked just fine. Grabbed Rom Manager from the market, flashed a recovery, did a full rom backup, then flashed a custom rom. All seems just fine.
    Samsung Galaxy S3