1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down New version disappointing!!!

I'm disappointed in the new version, from having to go to "settings" to set my phone to vibrate...you can no longer have it just in vibrate mode...its either silent or on which sucks. They also took the different color lights away...used to show white when you got a text or green for and email, blue for FB...now its all green...not HAPPY!!!

ROM
    Stock

But the big question is how is the overall performance compared to 2.1?
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Wendylyn - Like bam5252, I'm not sure why you don't have swipe to silence/vibrate. My wife's Ally still had it after her OTA.

Ratchet - The performance is improved, but not dramatically so. It seems more responsive transitioning from screen to screen and some appear to launch faster, but more intensive apps like Angry Birds don't really see an improvement.

Steve in CT

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

Haven't heard wife swear about a FC yet...I moved a bunch of apps from memory to the card last night, which should improve performance greatly, and set her apps to auto update...no Flash it seems...but it was so crippled before and she doesn't have much on there at all, hoping this fixes the problems.

You can alter the Vibrate in settings>check Silent Mode>Vibrate and select *Only in Silent mode*

Or download SilentMode OnOff widget by CurveFish

I use the Easy Reminder app also gives different lights for msgs and notifications. I have used it for over 3 months now with no issues despite what some other phone model users say. There is also COL Reminder app.

I am thrilled about the SD move but I am disappointed in no Adobe Flash - overall, I do see slight speed improvements and I love the incoming/outgoing call colors on the screen. But like others, games like Angry Birds aren't much better.

LG Ally: Top-notch keyboard, Android, least amount of bloatware and flexible software, resilient tempered gorilla glass, an incredibly sturdy well-made handset, Kick-*** clarity and LOUD speakerphone, but slow CPU & no flash.... LG was soooo close in making the perfect Android phone and blew it. They need to make an LG Ally 2: just improve the flaws, (speedier CPU too) and leave the rest as it is and I bet it blows the others away.

ALERT TO PHONE DEVS: You see how the LG Ally's kb is the best around on all forums and reviews of Android phones, I don't understand why you can't rationalize & just say *ok - look at this, just duplicate the KB & let's work around that because apparently we got THAT PART RIGHT.* But no. They make new phones and alter the best feature. /facepalm
    Last edited by intrimazz; 02-07-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added solution to one of OP's issues

I think we all need to remember that this is basically a FREE to $50.00 entry level phone, you aren't going to see the kind of performance you will in high end Android devices. I'm grateful LG and Verizon even decided to release Froyo on the Ally at all. That said, if your experiencing issues like major lag or any force close problems a factory reset will usually take care of it.

I am fairly new to the Ally and Android, but so far I am pretty happy with it. When I decided on this phone, I realized that it came with some limitations and cost was a factor too. The slide out keyboard was a necessity. Now that we have 2.2 on board, I have the one capability that I really wanted with being able to put apps on the SD card. I am glad to be part of the Android world, and I like LG's products.
    Its not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do whats required.
    Sir Winston Churchill

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

I agree, my wife and daughter both have them, and the big things to me, other than Flash, was the auto update for apps, and moving apps to SD card. That helps performance a bunch. Flash they'll live without.

It's been what, a week since Froyo was released by Verizon? I haven't really seen any problems and as far as performance is concerned and perhaps a bit of an improvement over 2.1, though not much. I got the Ally for a phone with the advantages of a smartphone and am relatively happy with it. Will I upgrade to something else when my time is due? Most probably, but I'm happy for now.

Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

My wife is happier. No more force closes at all. Performance not noticeably different, even after I moved all the apps to SD card that I could. But no FC's is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dougau View Post
    I think we all need to remember that this is basically a FREE to $50.00 entry level phone, you aren't going to see the kind of performance you will in high end Android devices. I'm grateful LG and Verizon even decided to release Froyo on the Ally at all. That said, if your experiencing issues like major lag or any force close problems a factory reset will usually take care of it.
    only with a contract. Try buying an LG Ally without one and you will see prices upwards of $360

It is a bit more versatile than people give it credit for and not nearly as much bloatware as other higher cpu phones. Aside from not having Adobe Flash, it does alot of the things that the speedier devices do for way less $. It was a bit ahead of its time when it came out in many areas & as other users have stated, with apps2sd and a 16GB class 6 SDslot, its life was extended that much more in the Verizon world of *new every 2* - be aware that they will cease making the Ally March 1st, 2011. One thing I have definitely noticed among LG Ally users: very few damage reports from being dropped - it is a very sturdy phone as well. Have had mine since May 2010 and the screen has zero flaws.
    Last edited by intrimazz; 02-07-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by wendylynn79 View Post
    I'm disappointed in the new version, from having to go to "settings" to set my phone to vibrate...you can no longer have it just in vibrate mode...its either silent or on which sucks. They also took the different color lights away...used to show white when you got a text or green for and email, blue for FB...now its all green...not HAPPY!!!
    I think I may not understand your gripe about the vibrate function :x

Settings>sound>Vibrate

then it scrolls up or down to the following options:
    Always
    Never
    Only in Silent Mode
    Only when not in Silent mode

are none of those what you are seeking?

I have mine set to Only in Silent mode and it will vibrate with no ringer or I can slide it up to Ringer sound.

for some reason the manual says 32GB Micro SD card. Misprint maybe?

Funny, I never read the paper manual when I got the phone, but everywhere online shows 16GB max - if you can get 32Gb sd card working let us know (maybe when rooted?)

and if you select your language of choice, it says 16Gb max on the LG.com specs using a .pdf reader of your choice
    Last edited by intrimazz; 02-07-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: link correction

i am having an issue maybe you guys can help me. i understand that this phone is not considered high performance, which i will keep in mind when i am ready to upgrade to another driod phone. however with the 2.2.1 update i am now having an issue with the phone locking up as well as the icons on my homescreen tend to disappear and it takes a few sleep offs and ons to get them to show back up. i do love the feature of being able to move some aps to the sd card however i would like to be able to remove some apps that came with the phone as well like the myspace app, which i do not use. any feedback on what i can do to keep this phone from locking up so much as well as the issues with the homescreen missing icons glitch?

Quote Originally Posted by intrimazz View Post
    Funny, I never read the paper manual when I got the phone, but everywhere online shows 16GB max - if you can get 32Gb sd card working let us know (maybe when rooted?)

and if you select your language of choice, it says 16Gb max on the LG.com specs using a .pdf reader of your choice
    Weird, if you download the English manual from the site you linked to
    it says 32 GB class 6 but since info seems to be conflicting I wouldn't buy a 32GB card just to try it...
    Last edited by dougau; 03-10-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by demarye View Post
    i am having an issue maybe you guys can help me. i understand that this phone is not considered high performance, which i will keep in mind when i am ready to upgrade to another driod phone. however with the 2.2.1 update i am now having an issue with the phone locking up as well as the icons on my homescreen tend to disappear and it takes a few sleep offs and ons to get them to show back up. i do love the feature of being able to move some aps to the sd card however i would like to be able to remove some apps that came with the phone as well like the myspace app, which i do not use. any feedback on what i can do to keep this phone from locking up so much as well as the issues with the homescreen missing icons glitch?
    Before you can remove any of the bloatware installed with Allys ROM you are going to have to root it. See Download SuperOneClick from the authors provided link and follow the posted instructions exactly. After rooting you can get titanium backup from the market and safely remove the following bloatware if you don't use it.

-Amazon Store App
    -Amazon Mp3
    -Verizon Backup Assistant
    -Calendar Widget
    -My Verizon
    -Think Office
    -Home Selector
    -LG Home (removes LG's Launcher theme if you don't use it)
    -SNS (Socialite)
    -Message Widget
    -Alarm Clock Widget
    -Dual Clock
    -Bookmarks Widget
    -City ID
    -Clock Weather Widget
    -Facebook
    -Myspace
    -Genie Widget
    -Skype Mobile
    -Visual Voice Mail
    -YouTube
    -Car Home
    Last edited by dougau; 03-10-2011 at 12:34 AM.