Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation It looks like Ally may get 2.2.2 Update?

It looks like LG has released the open source code for VS740ZVE (Froyo 2.2.2?) for Ally.
    Open Source Detail

I have no idea when/if the OTA may be available

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Quote Originally Posted by dougau View Post
    It looks like LG has released the open source code for VS740ZVE (Froyo 2.2.2?) for Ally.
    Open Source Detail

I have no idea when/if the OTA may be available
    Android Froyo 2.2.2 is known to break root exploits like RATC and psneuter. If it comes to the Ally over OTA and RATC/psneuter fails to work, Ally users may use the LG Optimus S LS670ZVD guide which uses the new GingerBreak exploit. The device is different, but similar enough to where the same rooting method should work.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by drewwalton19216801 View Post
    Android Froyo 2.2.2 is known to break root exploits like RATC and psneuter. If it comes to the Ally over OTA and RATC/psneuter fails to work, Ally users may use the LG Optimus S LS670ZVD guide which uses the new GingerBreak exploit. The device is different, but similar enough to where the same rooting method should work.
    The2.2.2 Update for Ally will most likely will break root just as other updates have. At any rate, it's not available for Ally yet and if/when it is if you need root hold off on updating until it is rooted. It shouldn't take long.

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

The2.2.2 Update for Ally will most likely will break root just as other updates have. At any rate, it's not available for Ally yet and if/when it is if you need root hold off on updating until it is rooted. It shouldn't take long.
    It will break RATC and psneuter. I can 99% guarantee that it will NOT break gingerbreak.

Why? Because (a) the source for the 2.2.2 update has been released already and (b) gingerbreak was released just 4 days ago. Clearly the OTA update is just around the corner for Ally users, therefore gingerbreak should work in lieu of RATC or psneuter.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

There has been some speculation by developers of other Ally ROMS who have looked at the source code Verizon May be also trying to disable any ability to tether Ally via its own and aftermarket tethering apps. Like the health bill, we'll just have to use it to see whats in it, LOL.

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

There has been some speculation by developers of other Ally ROMS who have looked at the source code Verizon May be also trying to disable any ability to tether Ally via its own and aftermarket tethering apps. Like the health bill, we'll just have to use it to see whats in it, LOL.
    Yeah LG tried that with the Optimus S too. I don't know about Verizon but LG/Sprint sucks at patching things like that so fingers crossed for you guys.

Haha your last sentence made me chuckle a bit.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

its official
    VS740ZVE, for your LG Ally.

Verizon Wireless and LG encourage you to download this update.

Before installing this update, visit
    http://market.android.com/details?id=com.lge.upgrade
    to download and install the “Upgrade Utility for Ally” Google
    Market Application to ensure a successful software update.

Email and Messaging

+ Send SMS messages without interruption, even when connected to
    an extended network.

+ SMS messages will deliver to the intended recipient.

+ POP3 email downloaded from server is now deleted from the device
    when deleted from the server.

+ Improvements to performance stability when viewing email messages
    from the combined inbox.

Applications

+ iheartradio stations now play correctly.

+ Improved Car Home application verbiage when being used in Spanish.
    LG Ally
    Call Features

+ Successfully dial # or * using the keyboard in landscape mode.

It's why do you need the App that is worrying me.