Downgrading Ally from 2.2.1 back to 2.2?

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I know it's pretty late in the Ally's life-cycle to be asking something like this, but has anyone succeeded in downgrading an Ally from Android 2.2.1 back to 2.2? In my case, it's not an issue of being able to root the phone (successfully rooted several weeks ago using SuperOneClick 1.9.1), but with a particular app that isn't compatible with 2.2.1 or above.

I found a couple of online tutorials for downgrading the LG Vortex from 2.2.1 back to 2.2, but honestly I doubt that my technical kung fu in this area is strong enough for me to recognize whatever changes to the procedure would be necessary to adapt it to the Ally and implement them without bricking my phone.

Thanks in advance for whatever assistance or advice anyone can provide.

dougau

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I know it's pretty late in the Ally's life-cycle to be asking something like this, but has anyone succeeded in downgrading an Ally from Android 2.2.1 back to 2.2? In my case, it's not an issue of being able to root the phone (successfully rooted several weeks ago using SuperOneClick 1.9.1), but with a particular app that isn't compatible with 2.2.1 or above.

I found a couple of online tutorials for downgrading the LG Vortex from 2.2.1 back to 2.2, but honestly I doubt that my technical kung fu in this area is strong enough for me to recognize whatever changes to the procedure would be necessary to adapt it to the Ally and implement them without bricking my phone.

Thanks in advance for whatever assistance or advice anyone can provide.

2.2.1 is Froyo, 2.2.2 is the latest Froyo "upgrade. Are you asking about going from 2.2.2 to 2.2.1 froyo or 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 back to Eclair 1.2?

May 24, 2011
Visit site
2.2.1 is Froyo, 2.2.2 is the latest Froyo "upgrade. Are you asking about going from 2.2.2 to 2.2.1 froyo or 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 back to Eclair 1.2?

No, the phones (actually a pair of them) are currently running 2.2.1 on the Verizon network. I haven't upgraded to 2.2.2

I need to get back to 2.2 (which I understood to be the original "Froyo"), as that is the latest version that the software is compatible with.

BTW - thanks for the interest, Doug

dougau

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
No, the phones (actually a pair of them) are currently running 2.2.1 on the Verizon network. I haven't upgraded to 2.2.2

I need to get back to 2.2 (which I understood to be the original "Froyo"), as that is the latest version that the software is compatible with.

BTW - thanks for the interest, Doug

On the Ally there was never just a 2.2. it went from Eclair 1.2 (VS740ZVC) to Froyo 2.2.1 (VS740VZD) to Froyo 2.2.2 (VS740VZE)
so 2.2.1 is the Ally's earliest version of Froyo.
You might want to search the market for a app called Spare Parts open it and check Compatibility Mode & see if that helps.
You can go back from Froyo to Eclair but it's a rather lengthy process. I can help if Spare Parts won't work.
BTW, what APP are you talking about?

Last edited:
May 24, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I was fairly sure these phones were running version 2.1 when I bought them last summer...although I admit to being a lot more naive about such details back then. That seems to jive with the release info I've found around the net, and also with my (admittedly suspect at times) memory of updating the OS twice since then (as I mentioned, currently 2.2.1).

Doug, check your PM's for specifics on the specific app in question.

May 24, 2011
Visit site
More confused than ever now -- rep at my local Verizon store confirmed today that my LG Ally was originally shipped with Android 2.2 -- which he referred to as LG VS740ZVD. Misinformation? I realize - as Doug mentioned above - that sequence is commonly used around these parts to designate Android 2.2.1.

Either way, the guy wasn't terribly forthcoming about how I might get back to that "original" configuration...but I'm still hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.

Last edited:

dougau

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
More confused than ever now -- rep at my local Verizon store confirmed today that my LG Ally was originally shipped with Android 2.2 -- which he referred to as LG VS740ZVD. Misinformation? I realize - as Doug mentioned above - that sequence is commonly used around these parts to designate Android 2.2.1.

Either way, the guy wasn't terribly forthcoming about how I might get back to that "original" configuration...but I'm still hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction.

Well, the Verizon rep's both right and wrong, New or refurbished Ally's do now ship with 2.2.1 (probably 2.2.2 soon)
As far as getting back to an earlier ROM see my PM, but be aware this will void your warranty.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908