LG G Flex: Weird Calling Bug? Possible Kitkat 4.4.x related?

Snxpflash

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I purchased this phone from a friend with a broken screen. I fixed the screen and now have the phone perfectly intact. It was originally on/an AT&T Phone but I recently switched it to an AT&T Straight_Talk SIM/carrier. When I make phone calls or when someone calls me.. Once I answer the phone call the screen goes black. I can take the call and talk perfectly fine. However, when still in the call if I move the phone from my face or even try to end the call with the power button.. It does absolutely nothing. Just remains black. Its easy to blame the proximity sensor but, this screen/digitalizer is brand new and I also already asked my buddy about this.. He said he forgot to mention it however from the 1st day he bought the phone from the AT&T store it did that.. He said he called AT&T and they said they had no idea what the problem was. I'm hoping others have had this issue and could aid with fixing it. My only real hypothesis is that there is a bug with Kitkat 4.4.2 and the G Flex. Assuming that is the case, will an update be coming out soon possibly to fix this bug or would I need to ROOT my G Flex and try to install Jelly bean or something?

Note: I believe the phone is technically still factory locked although the Straight_Talk sim DID work for it. When i accidentally installed the T-mobile Straight_Talk sim the 1st message prompt upon reboot was "enter unlock code, 10 attempts remaining" <-- So I can only assume even with the proper AT&T Straight_Talk SIM, the phone is still technically locked.. especially considering I cannot edit the APN settings of the Phone either :/. Is it possible that my calling issue is related to the phone being used with Straight_Talk while still Locked to AT&T? *shrug* but please help and Thank You!

~Snxp

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It really does sound like a problem with the proximity sensor, which is separate from the screen/digitizer. If that's how it's behaved since it was brand new, then I would suspect an intrinsic hardware defect, rather than a problem with the OS.

Snxpflash

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
Seeing as the Proximity Sensor is a $15 part (new) on ebay.. I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.. Iv used a few Live Wallpapers that utilize the Proximity Sensor and seem to work perfectly but perhaps it just isnt functioning perfectly. Im also a bit confused because, the power button while in calls also does nothing.. It works perfectly any other time. I even set the setting to "power button ends calls" and that still isnt affective. Hmm.. I'l just try one thing at a time and I'l update if the Proximity Sensor makes a difference or not.

slickwidnick

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I dont think its a kitkat issue, cause i bought a rogers g flex and its on 4.2.2 and has the same issue. Although, the knock on feature is not working, and i read if you update to 4.4.2 and then downgrade back to 4.2.2 you lose knock on... i bought this phone used...

Also, the lg g2's have this crazy digitizer issue in some random phones, i have one, i found that if i turned off all the lg features not native to the android system, knock on/off, qslide, and a couple others, it doesnt wig out. Like doesnt come back at all, until any of those features are turned on, maybe something similar might "solve" the call issues...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech