My g tab 7 just got lollipop!

LeKeiser

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

Sorry it took me a few days to reply, but been busy and all...
Last night, I launched the App Store application, had a few things to update: FB, Twitter, and a few others... Started fine, and then: no more space available... AGAIN!
So I went to check the parameters, Storage. Was very surprised to see that 4.9GB were allocated to the System Data... More than half of my 8GB! The rest is application cache, stuffs like that.
I didn't have time to investigate further, if my memory is correct I have something like 250MB RAM available...
What apps do I have? Not that many, and really, basic ones... :
_ FB. This one takes sooooo much memory compared to the others! >200MB :(
_ Messenger: can't uninstall this one if you have FB. I mean, it goes with FB, final :(
_ Allocine: french movies/theaters app, very useful, can't live without it...
_ IMDB: can't live without it too :(
_ UGC: french theater app, really need it :(
_ LaBox: french app to configure/check/much more my Internet box.
_ Swiftkey: so much better than the stock keyboard. But take a lot of RAM too, >40MB
_ weather app: I guess everybody has one
_ 3D Check: but I uninstalled it because of the memory problem :(
_ Instagram: what can I say?
_ forgot Netflix and Chromcast, just to use the infrared with my TV and use Netflix with it :)
_ a few apps to check my network, along with a Putty app. Like Wifi Analizer, Speedtest, ...

That's it, basically. No games... I really don't think I've overcharged my tablet with stuffs...
I've moved all the apps I could to my SD card, like the theaters/movies apps, leaving less than a handful on the gpPad...
And all my media files are on my SD card.

Now, this memory problem started right after the Lollipop upgrade. Do you think there's something like in the cache somewhere that is taking a lot of space and that the basic apps can't remove? I used CCleaner, but it didn't free enough memory...

I'm thinking about doing a factory reset, wondering if this could solve this problem... But I'm starting to think that Lolli is not made to work on devices with only 1GB RAM. I mean, it does work but doesn't leave enough space to install/use apps...
If I'm correct, that sucks bears, because even if I roll back to Candy, I won't be able to update the apps anymore :(

What do you think?

Last edited:

LeKeiser

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Well I got tired of that situation, so I restored the pad to the factory design, and got loads of RAM back. I guess something was still there that should have been deleted during the update.
Time now to reconfigure the device as it was before...

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Good to know you've figured it out. I'm waiting on a Sprint LG GPad and hope is good enough to keep it, if not, I will have to return it and try to get another Samsung Tab.
My Samsung Tab 3 7 inches with Sprint is very good, but hasn't been updated to 5.0 and it may never will, but has 16GB of memory and 1.5GB of RAM.