1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Default Is Google store only place to purchase this?

As a first time tablet purchaser, with no cellphone to link to, I have been waiting for the Nexus 10 2 to come out. I just read about the GPad 8.3 and believe this may work for me. Then I read about the GPE edition and that it has less "stuff" on it to slow it down. As I need this tablet to be as simple as possible, I thought the GPE would be the way to go. I went to the Google Store and at the end they wanted to charge me an extra $34 in tax. Ouch. Is the Google store the only place to purchase this, or could I perhaps get the LG V500 and remove some of the unnecessary software on it? Though this may be above my knowledge grade, realistically.
    Any insight is appreciated.

Nancy
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Default Re: Is Google store only place to purchase this?

Quote Originally Posted by nancykay View Post
    As a first time tablet purchaser, with no cellphone to link to, I have been waiting for the Nexus 10 2 to come out. I just read about the GPad 8.3 and believe this may work for me. Then I read about the GPE edition and that it has less "stuff" on it to slow it down. As I need this tablet to be as simple as possible, I thought the GPE would be the way to go. I went to the Google Store and at the end they wanted to charge me an extra $34 in tax. Ouch. Is the Google store the only place to purchase this, or could I perhaps get the LG V500 and remove some of the unnecessary software on it? Though this may be above my knowledge grade, realistically.
    Any insight is appreciated.

Nancy
    Officially, yes. Google Play edition devices are only sold through the Google Play Store.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

It's a little high but having it now for almost a week, I couldn't be happier. $380-400 is a lot to spend on an 8" tablet without a fruit on it but you won't be disappointed. Within two days of having this, it was updated OTA to 4.4.2. Amazing.
    I too was waiting for the Nexus 10 (2) but I don't believe it's coming anytime soon. Even if it does, I won't be upset with this GPE purchase. It is an excellent tablet and feels/runs like a Nexus. Any questions about it, let me know.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Did you get yours at the Google Store? I very rarely pay retail for anything(I'd rather wait a few months and wait until a sale) and paying tax for an online purchase is very surprising. I have never been asked for tax unless there was a physical store in my state. BestBuy has the V500 for $299, and I would expect to pay tax.
    As a beginner tablet use, tho I am a pc user:
    1- can I enlarge/zoom the screen, by touch?
    2- It said there is voice commands. Does that mean I can say "email to Robert" pick up apples at the market" and it will prepare the email? If so, that would be neat. I do not believe the Nexus 10 does that, is that correct?
    I know what I will NOT use this for but not necessarily what I WILL use this for, that will probably change over time. I will not game on this, nor download movies or books, GPS will not be used, will possibly download some music and a magazine once in a while(then delete after reading).
    I am very ready to purchase a tablet, I ordered a Nexus 10 32 gb for $359 a few weeks ago, they had 1 in inventory. A few days later I received an email cancelling the order, I called and it was a returned product put back on the shelf. The rep was so nice, called me back and said they were having more made and he would do the same price, or better but it would be until at least after Christmas. Well, that may or may not happen. This 8.3 will not be as large as the 10 but will more-than-likely be sufficient. Not having had a tablet before, it is hard reading specs to see if this is a product I will like and use.
    Last edited by nancykay; 12-16-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Did you get yours at the Google Store? I very rarely pay retail for anything(I'd rather wait a few months and wait until a sale) and paying tax for an online purchase is very surprising. I have never been asked for tax unless there was a physical store in my state. BestBuy has the V500 for $299, and I would expect to pay tax on that.
    My questions/comments, as I am a tablet beginner, tho a pc user: can I enlarge/zoom the screen, by touch? I know what I will NOT use this for but not necessarily what I WILL use this for, that will probably change over time. I will not game on this, or download movies, will possibly download some music. It said there is voice commands. Does that mean I can say "email to Robert" pick up apples at the market" and it will prepare the email? If so, that would be neat. I do not believe the Nexus 10 does that, is that correct?

Per
    You will be charged tax in these states -

Alabama (select cities)
    Alabama (select cities)
    California
    Colorado (select cities)
    Colorado (select cities)
    District of Columbia
    Florida
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Nebraska
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Ohio
    Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Vermont
    Virginia
    Washington
    West Virginia
    Wisconsin
    Wyoming
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

OK. Monday evening. Newegg has the G Pad 8.3 for $299, free shipping, and I may be able to get a price cut using my Mastercard. If I get the GPE version, I will pay around $380. For my usage, will I really notice the difference?
    Just went to Newegg, they also added tax to my bill, almost $28. Gosh. Of course, I did not complete the purchase.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

OK. Monday evening. Newegg has the G Pad 8.3 for $299, free shipping, and I may be able to get a price cut using my Mastercard. If I get the GPE version, I will pay around $380. For my usage, will I really notice the difference?
    Just went to Newegg, they also added tax to my bill, almost $28. Gosh. Of course, I did not complete the purchase.
    I don't understand why you are so against paying a required tax. Even Amazon is collecting tax in certain states now. It's just something you're going to have to deal with.

What exactly is drawing you to the G Pad 8.3 vs. say a Nexus 7?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

"so against paying tax"
    I have never paid any tax on any item ordered online. This is new to me. Call it sticker shock.

What exactly is drawing you to the G Pad 8.3 vs. say a Nexus 7
    I would like a tablet, for times I am not around my pc. I will not be glued to this tablet, but I would like quality and seamless connection to wifi, for when I do use it. I believe the Nexus 7 may be smaller than I would like so I have been eyeing the Nexus 10. This G Pad 8.3 sounds very interesting and the reviews said the GPE does not have a lot of the extra LG software that may slow down the tablet. What do I not know? That is why I am asking questions.

It might help us offer better suggestions/advice if you could elaborate on how you plan to use the tablet. You've stated:

I know what I will NOT use this for but not necessarily what I WILL use this for
    First, why would you consider purchasing a device if you don't have an idea what you will actually use it for? Second, what you've ruled out are some of the more intensive tasks (video, gaming) so this may be more tablet than you need. Try to determine and explain your needs and I'm sure we can provide more useful advice.

Nancy,

I'm a G2 user (phone) and a G Pad GPE (tablet) user so I'm very aware of both LG's software and stock Android. I used to have the Galaxy Nexus (phone) and the Nexus 7 2012 (tablet). I choose the GPE version over the G Pad NOT because I dislike LG's software "skin" but because I prefer timely updates. Stock Android is fantastic because it allows you to truly customize to your liking without having to work with limitations. But, as great as it is, a "skin" can enhance usage and make it quite enjoyable. LG's "skin" which I've become very used to is actually quite nice. The KnockOn feature the G Pad has is outstanding and truly should be on EVERY Android device. You simply tap on it twice to wake it or put it to sleep. There are also several other great features the non-GPE G Pad offers that are excellent. I could go on but you can read more about what the non-GPE G Pad offers by visiting LG's website. If you have any specific questions on their "skin", please let me know.
    To answer your questions above, you can easily do both on either the or the $350 GPE tablet.
    1. You can zoom throughout the tablet but being that the screen is 8.3" with almost no bezel on the sides, I have been pleasantly surprised by the screen quality. It is excellent. If you need to enlarge the font size, you could always download "Nova Launcher" in the Play Store and change the look and feel.
    2. Both devices have Google Voice Search which allows you to press the microphone in the widget or Google Now and say: ""email to Robert" pick up apples at the market" and it will prepare the email. Google Voice Search is amazing and can also help you voice type at any time.

Being a Nexus 7 2012 owner, I have to say the G Pad 8.3" GPE is very equivalent. The Nexus 7 is an amazing device and the 2013 Nexus 7 is outstanding. I really have been very impressed with the size of the screen vs the Nexus 7. Not that the 7 was bad but 8.3 is just as portable and is 40% larger screen size. The battery has been great and it is very fast. I have had no lag whatsoever. For me, getting the GPE was ALL about form factor + timely updates. Without a Nexus 8 or 10 refresh, this was the logical choice and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I would recommend for you to save the $50-70 and get the LG G Pad non-GPE as it is an excellent tablet that has great bonus features built into the "skin". Any questions, let me know.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

rj,
    Excellent breakdown of the 8.3 features, both GPE and non. As I do not use a cellphone, I am unfamiliar with software concerns/skins. Most reviewers of the 8.3 prefer the tablet without the "skin". I have read quite a few reviews of the LG 8.3, they are all tech sites though and probably more aware than the average user of the differences. The price is not the determining factor( even though I have harped on about the tax) but I want to understand just what my first and probably only tablet can and cannot do. Having voice commands could be fun, I have been unable to find out if the Nexus 10 does that. And the Nexus 10 has gorilla glass which the 8.3 does not.
    The updates you mentioned- say there is an update to fix a bug, would that be timely with the non-GPE?
    "If you have any specific questions on their "skin", please let me know." Nothing specific. I perused the LG site, I do not need the QPair or Smartshare, or wireless charging. some of the other listings sound interesting.
    If I did get the GPE model, what of the features on the LG site would I be missing? Just found the answer, below:
    Features not included
    Knock On™
    QSlide Function™
    Slide Aside™
    QPair™
    QRemote™
    Last edited by nancykay; 12-17-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Nancy,

Anything Google offers - Voice Search, Gmail, Hangouts, Maps, Google Now, Google Play Music, Play Store, Play Books, Play Newstand, YouTube, Unified Calendar, Google +, Google + Photos, etc. can all be accessed by every Android device either phone or tablet. The exception is with Amazon's tablets which don't have access to the Play Store but Amazon's app market. So, if screen real estate is what you are looking for, the Nexus 10 is a great device. It is older and therefore not as fast as the G Pad or Nexus 7 2013 or any of the Samsung Tablets (Note 10.1 2014 for example). If you are looking at a 10", the Note 10.1 2014 is excellent and I would recommend over last years Nexus 10.
    As for the G Pad, it's tough reading professional Android reviewers because they usually steer toward stock (vanilla) android as their preference. (Nexus line to be exact) So a GPE will appear more "sexy" to them vs. having a "skin." The G Pad specs between the orig. & the GPE are identical. So, it's up to the features LG has put in vs. having the newest Android software and no LG features that you need to weigh. QPair is excellent but since you don't have a cell, it is not necessary. QSlide & Slide Aside are great but the GPE has a button for multi-tasking as does the orig by just holding down the home button. So, either way, you will have multi-tasking. Smartshare is another excellent add-on but you would need a compatible tv or such. If you buy a Google Chromecast ($35) retail, most (relevant) apps have a Chromecast feature built in if you need/want to share with your tv. The GPE has an IR Blaster but there are no compatible apps at the current time whereas the orig G Pad has QRemote. I have that feature in the G2 and it's awesome but since I already have it, I didn't need it for my tablet. Great feature though.The camera, themes, ClipTray and Knock-On are about the only other differences that I could think of that differentiate the two. The camera on the G Pad GPE is pitiful. There's no flash and the software is very weak. If you are looking for a reasonable camera, you need the orig. G Pad's software or look elsewhere such as the Note 10.1. The G Pad is a tablet though and shouldn't be thought of as a camera. I absolutely love Knock-On so I can honestly say I REALLY wish they had kept this feature on the GPE. It is revolutionary. Google Translate (an app) would solve your need for Translation so no loss there and while the ClipTray (being able to keep your copy & paste history in one spot) is cool, it's not necessary.
    I'll say this. The G Pad is a great device hardware wise. For your first tablet, I would recommend going the orig. G Pad route as it will be updated, you won't see any software bugs, it has great features, and seems to be the size tablet you are looking for. They have these at any Best Buy to touch & play with. The GPE tablet is for tinkerers, lovers of stock android and fanatics who get excited for the next version of Android and want it immediately. Both are excellent tablets but cater to different markets. Hope this helps...
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

"Hope this helps."
    Immensely.
    "Nexus 10 is a great device. It is older, not as fast as the G Pad "
    I would more-than-likely not notice the difference.
    As to the camera, I have a nice camera. Tablet should be a tablet. Our tv is a smart-tv, so may be nice if I could use Chromecast on it.
    I was told by an online retailer they were having Nexus 10 made specifically for them in Korea and shipped directly to this retailer, not going through the Samsung warehouse. Is this likely? The price for the 8.3 and the 10 would be around the same, the 10 would have 32 gb and gorilla glass.I was told by Google support that the latest updates do provide for voice commands, would they be the same for the 8.3 and the 10? Is Voice Search the same as voice commands? Sorry if some of these questions appear basic.

Voice commands are an extension of voice search through Google now that any android device running 4.1+ can access. As this functionality is provided by the app it's theoretically the same across any device that can run it. I say theoretically as certain devices Moto X, Nexus 5 allow specialized access to Google now through active listening enhancements.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Both the Nexus 10 & the G Pad have Gorilla Glass. The Nexus 10 comes in 16GB & 32GB but I believe 32GB is all that's left. If you're buying the Nexus 10, I'd recommend either the Google Play Store or Staples. Staples has them in store to play with and Best Buy has the G Pad. Read above for Voice Search info or read here:
    As for speed, you will notice this. Play with both devices and you will see the difference. The Nexus 10 has an amazing screen that is much better than the G Pad still to this day but the processor cannot handle it which is why there is often lag with the device. The Nexus 10 has a dual-core processor vs. a quad-core processor in the G Pad. That is a big difference. I would recommend visiting both stores to do a hands-on and also pick up the Note 10.1 2014 and you'll know which one is best for you. If you like the look of what's available on the Nexus 10 but the feel of the G Pad, then maybe the G Pad GPE will solve the best of both worlds...
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

On the Google website, Nexus 10 is listed as having Gorilla Glass by Corning, this is not listed for the G Pad 8.3. Gorilla glass sounds like a good thing, is it really necessary?
    I have been to a BestBuy, they have not had any Nexus 10 for over a month and 1/2. None in any Staples around here either. I bought an Asus T100 a few months ago, 10" w/keyboard, had to return it as it would not reliably stay connected to wifi. As the nearest BestBuy with an 8.3 in stock is a 1 1/2 hr. drive away, I will probably be mail ordering whatever I get.

As far as I know Gorilla Glass' only benefit is supposed scratch resistance. This would better benefit a smartphone due to the fact that they are more likely to get knocked around. Depending on how you intend to use the tablet it shouldn't get knocked around too much. As with the entire thread it all depends on your use case.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I have the GPE and I believed it did have Gorilla Glass but after a brief live chat with LG, it DOES NOT have Corning Gorilla Glass. According to LG, it has "fortified glass" that is "resistant" to scratches. It is not made by Corning so therefore they cannot call it "Gorilla Glass".

I personally love the screen and think this is similar but I've already made the purchase...