1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default LG G Pad intermittent screen brightness variation

I just got an LG G Pad GPE edition. I really like it, but I am having a problem with the screen brightness that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else.

If the brightness is set to maximum (NOT Auto) the screen will be bright for 20 minutes or so. Then it will dim to what looks like 70% or 80% of max. Then after a few minutes (say five or ten) the screen will brighten again. And so on. If I am running a process intensive app such as a game and the tablet heats up, the brightness changes seem to happen more frequently. If I set the brightness to about 80% I don't see any brightness changes, but since I like the screen at full brightness I am not very happy about this solution.

This happened with the first G Pad I got so I called Play Support, and after the requisite factory reset and still seeing the problem, they sent me a new replacement one. Unfortunately the second one is doing the same thing.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a hardware or software issue? Is there a hidden brightness or power saving setting that is causing this? Has anyone seen this on the V500 non GPE G Pad? I am wondering if this is a common problem or I just got unlucky and should contact Google Play to get another replacement.

I really like the G Pad, but since the screen was the major factor in my decision to buy it, this is a real disappointment.

Thanks for any help!

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

Default Re: LG G Pad intermittent screen brightness variation

I have the exact same issue. Like you I received a replacement from Google. The replacement had the exact same issue. I have also read about the same problems over at the GPad XDA forum. Before getting the GPE version I had the LG version and did not have this problem. That leads me to believe it is a software issues. Problem is there is no acknowledgement from Google that this is a problem so I don't know if we will see a fix. I too am extremely disappointed.
    Last edited by jeff327; 12-31-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks. Well at least now I know I am not crazy. Unless I find a fix, I am seriously thinking about returning the G Pad and living with my Nexus 7 until another promising 8 inch tablet comes along. The G pad was to expensive to settle for compromises on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff327 View Post
    I have the exact same issue. Like you I received a replacement from Google. The replacement had the exact same issue. I have also read about the same problems over at the GPad XDA forum. Before getting the GPE version I had the LG version and did not have this problem. That leads me to believe it is a software issues. Problem is there is no acknowledgement from Google that this is a problem so I don't know if we will see a fix. I too am extremely disappointed.

I've noticed the same thing on mine, which is not the GPE. I suspect it may be a way to manage the temperature of the device.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tlehmann View Post
    I've noticed the same thing on mine, which is not the GPE. I suspect it may be a way to manage the temperature of the device.

Posted via Android Central App
    Same experience here with two different GPEs. My Galaxy S4 does the same thing, and I'm fairly certain it's triggered by the device reaching a certain temperature as well. I don't like it either, but otherwise I love this device so I'm willing to live with it.
    Thanked by: