Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By benhaube
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Issues with the GPE?

So I ordered myself a GPE last week and it should be here tomorrow or the next day. I was wondering if anyone out there has had any issues that I should be aware of? I've heard of the screen not being bright enough, or something along those lines, and "hiccups" when playing music.

Anyone have any issues they'd like to report or expound upon?

Thanks!

Default Re: Issues with the GPE?

My screen sometimes goes to a darker look but a simple press power on & off restores it back to where it should be. Only other issues I've had is getting the SD Card to be anything of value, avg. battery life, and avg. storage. These are all minor though. It's a great device!
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by rjrobins View Post
    My screen sometimes goes to a darker look but a simple press power on & off restores it back to where it should be. Only other issues I've had is getting the SD Card to be anything of value, avg. battery life, and avg. storage. These are all minor though. It's a great device!
    Do you keep it on auto brightness? Are you able to use the SD card for anything? That was part of my issue with getting it, unsure of storage. But I got scared away from the N7 because of touch screen horror stories that I have read about.

No, I keep the screen at around 20% to get as much battery life out of it as possible. Can't use the SD card whatsoever. I can read it but don't have a clue how to format it. Apparently the G Pad orig has software that can read it whereas the GPE had that software taken out. It's a major bummer but I'm hoping there will one day be a fix. The memory does go quick with the device hd. Had a 2012 N7 and love it but the screen looks like a phone compared to the GPE!
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

No, I keep the screen at around 20% to get as much battery life out of it as possible. Can't use the SD card whatsoever. I can read it but don't have a clue how to format it. Apparently the G Pad orig has software that can read it whereas the GPE had that software taken out. It's a major bummer but I'm hoping there will one day be a fix. The memory does go quick with the device hd. Had a 2012 N7 and love it but the screen looks like a phone compared to the GPE!
    So can you store music or pictures or anything like that on the SD card? If not, that may be a deal breaker for me. I worry that the 16gb won't be enough without access to the SD card.

Thanks for your responses!

I have a card in the SD Card and can read what's on it but it might as well not even be in the tablet as it holds no function. What comes with the GPE is what you get. Expansion at this point, to my knowledge, is not possible. I have 3 GB left on mine. Memory goes quick but luckily doesn't slow down performance.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I have a card in the SD Card and can read what's on it but it might as well not even be in the tablet as it holds no function. What comes with the GPE is what you get. Expansion at this point, to my knowledge, is not possible.
    Ah, so if I want to pin some of my Google Play Music to the SD card, I won't be able to? Or if I want to download some pics to the SD card from my Photos app, I won't be able to?

as of now and from what I know you are unfortunately correct.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

as of now and from what I know you are unfortunately correct.
    Yup, that's what it looks like. Oh well. Sucks because this is a great tablet otherwise. I see this is an issue with the GPE S4, too. It looks like the capability isn't native to Android anymore, so you have to enable it via root only.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

I have both versions of the device and both are awesome. I have been holding on to the original G Pad, hoping that Kit Kat will not change the SD card accessibility, which is currently fine. The GPE version is a little faster due to not having the LG UI installed. If I could figure out how to successfully root my GPE, then I would definitely stick with it versus the original G Pad.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Aredubu View Post
    I have both versions of the device and both are awesome. I have been holding on to the original G Pad, hoping that Kit Kat will not change the SD card accessibility, which is currently fine. The GPE version is a little faster due to not having the LG UI installed. If I could figure out how to successfully root my GPE, then I would definitely stick with it versus the original G Pad.
    I returned the GPE G-pad because of the SD card issue. If I could write to it like I could on my S4 without rooting it, I would have kept it. I'm just not a fan of rooting. And I want to have space on the tablet. Essentially it is a 16gb tablet only. Sure you can read from the SD card, but you have to have a computer to actually put anything on it.

I was worried about the storage space on this tablet, but looking at my nexus 7 2012...I have 10gb of storage space left on it. With the storage out of the way it was down to screen size for me and it was very difficult to make my mind between the new nexus 7 and the gpad gpe. I ended up going with the gpad and could not be happier.

Posted via Android Central App
    Aredubu likes this.