Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Default Re: LG G Pad 8.3 Hands-On

Quote Originally Posted by erwaso View Post
    Priced to high but is cheaper than the amazing Ipad mini, yep bang on...

Quote Originally Posted by Colbane View Post
    That's because they only promote buying Apple devices.
    Exactly! Funny I had posted a comment directly on this. Mentioned how the iPad Mini came out last year at just about the same price point and with inferior specs, yet they never complained about price. G Pad is so much more at $20 more than the original iPad Mini started at and they complain. Lo and behold they deleted my post.

I wouldn't call that a bad review, the fact is the guy is hung up on it being only a Snapdragon 600 instead of a 800 and compared the UI with Samsung which I'm really tired of hearing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Well, if they want to make an issue of the Snapdragon 600 in the G Pad, why don't they say the same thing about the N7, which has the same processor? Most of these reviews are subjective and illogical. In reality, if you compare the G Pad and N7, the advantages of the N7 are that its screen is somewhat brighter, the resolution is marginally better, the price is lower, and the software is better supported. The advantages of the G Pad are that it has a significantly larger screen and a microSD card. It seems likely to me that the price will come down on the G Pad at some point and it's likely that custom ROMs will appear, so those differences may not matter so much.

Some reviewers have claimed that the N7 is somehow hipper looking than the G Pad, but I find the N7 to be a real plain-jane. When you see tablets on display at Best Buy, you would never give the N7 a second look if you didn't know what it was.

So, for me the advantages of the G Pad outweigh the advantages of the N7. If the N7 had the same screen size as the G Pad, I'd probably buy it, but it looks kind of dinky to me. I'm willing to pay more for the G Pad to get a more useful screen size.

Quote Originally Posted by lwood11 View Post
    Well, if they want to make an issue of the Snapdragon 600 in the G Pad, why don't they say the same thing about the N7, which has the same processor? Most of these reviews are subjective and illogical. In reality, if you compare the G Pad and N7, the advantages of the N7 are that its screen is somewhat brighter, the resolution is marginally better, the price is lower, and the software is better supported. The advantages of the G Pad are that it has a significantly larger screen and a microSD card. It seems likely to me that the price will come down on the G Pad at some point and it's likely that custom ROMs will appear, so those differences may not matter so much.

Some reviewers have claimed that the N7 is somehow hipper looking than the G Pad, but I find the N7 to be a real plain-jane. When you see tablets on display at Best Buy, you would never give the N7 a second look if you didn't know what it was.

So, for me the advantages of the G Pad outweigh the advantages of the N7. If the N7 had the same screen size as the G Pad, I'd probably buy it, but it looks kind of dinky to me. I'm willing to pay more for the G Pad to get a more useful screen size.
    Similar but not the same. N7 has the same processor as my lg og, the snapdragon S4. Gpad has the same processor as the lg g2. A small upgrade but more updated than wwhat's in the N7 and proven much faster.

Similar but not the same. N7 has the same processor as my lg og, the snapdragon S4. Gpad has the same processor as the lg g2. A small upgrade but more updated than wwhat's in the N7 and proven much faster.
    You got it wrong too, the LG G2 has the Snapdragon 800 while the G2 Pad has the Snapdragon 600.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

G Pad DOES NOT have the same processor as the G2!!

G2 has the Snapdragon 800

G Pad has Snapdragon 600

N7 has Snapdragon S4 Pro

Standing corrected! Lol
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

Standing corrected! Lol
    I agree with your "Plain Jane" comment regarding the N7. I have one and it's about as plain jane as you can get. Works great though.

If the n7 was offered as a 64gb for $350 it would be a lot harder. However, if the gpad was guaranteed to get 4.4 and that full-screen mode in a few weeks, it would be a no brainer.

As it is, I'll probably order the gpad once it shows up on Amazon.

I believe that the Snapdragon 600 and S4 Pro are both in the Snapdragon 600 family and are pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by lwood11 View Post
    I believe that the Snapdragon 600 and S4 Pro are both in the Snapdragon 600 family and are pretty much the same.
    Except the S4 Pro in the N7 is underclocked.

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Colbane View Post
    Except the S4 Pro in the N7 is underclocked.
    ...and it shows.

from a Note 3
    Live long and prosper.

Correct. My original point is that some reviewers slam the G Pad because it doesn't have a Snapdragon 800, then go on to recommend the N7 instead. I haven't heard any of them complain about the processor in N7, even though it's also a Snapdragon 600 variant. And the N7 is clocked slower (although I'm sure you could overclock it if you wanted to). In reality, I doubt that the difference between a Snapdragon 600 vs 800 would be significant. Both of these processors are plenty fast enough to run a tablet.

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Well, also keep in mind the price points. The most expensive Nexus 7 is notably less expensive than the least expensive G Pad. I know there's a difference in screen size but....
    Live long and prosper.

Yes, I mentioned that price was an advantage for the N7. The way I would look at is that the N7 with 32GB is now selling for $269. The G Pad + a 32Gb sd card would cost about $375, a difference of $106. You would end up with 16Gb more storage on the G Pad in that scenario. Plus, if retailers offer, say, a $50 rebate for G Pad, the price difference would come down to about $56. A lot of people spend that amount just on accessories.

Tablet size is a matter of personal preference, but I find that a 7 inch tablet is just a mistake. I would be willing to pay $106 more for a tablet with what to me is the right size, i.e., around 8 inches. With all of the reviewers complaining about the price, I expect to see some discounting on the G Pad. That would definitely make it worth it for me.

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I definitely prefer the Note 8.0 to the Nexus 7 I had. The screen is sharp enough and the S-Pen is all kinds of useful to me in and out of the office.
    Live long and prosper.

I'm sure the price will drop by years end on the G Pad. But like other tech lovers, I just can't wait that long lol

I'm sure the price will drop by years end on the G Pad. But like other tech lovers, I just can't wait that long lol
    Yes, that's the hard part.

If you're worried about a price drop, just use a credit card with price protection for 90 days, like Discover:

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...rotection.html

If there's a rebate instead of an MSRP drop, you'll be out of luck even with price protection.
    mrstarzan likes this.

I don't think we could see much of a difference in the 600 vs the 800 in performance, but I hear it has better battery consumption technology. Personally, after 4 days of having my GPad, I have no problem with its battery life. I want to put Cyanogenmod on it pretty bad though. I just like starting from a clean slate and customizing from there. The LG skin is still better than the Samsung in my opinion. I'm wondering why folks in some places complain about the sound. Without the headphones I think the speakers sound pretty rich for something so small. I usually use headphones for any serious music or video though.

I wonder when someone will make a ROM for this? I requested a forum at XDA Developers for the GPad (as did quite a few other folks too). The only negative thing I've really paid attention to is rumors that LG takes a long time to release updates. Still, even if I could never put a custom ROM on this device or it didn't get another update, I love this thing. Such a high quality Android tablet. My N7s are with my kids now, and my Touchpads are going on Ebay.
    mrstarzan likes this.

I don't have any other LG devices, but I took a look at the LG G2 forum on XDA and I saw that there appears to be some custom ROM development going on there. It looks like there is an official CM10 ROM for the LG G2. Since a lot of people compare the G Pad to the G2, I would hope that some good custom ROMs will appear for the G Pad, also. More than anything else, it probably depends on how well it sells. If enough people buy it, I can only think that with the great hardware on this thing, developers will respond.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesoneal View Post
    If you're worried about a price drop, just use a credit card with price protection for 90 days, like Discover:

https://www.discover.com/credit-card...rotection.html

If there's a rebate instead of an MSRP drop, you'll be out of luck even with price protection.
    Not worried. Mine was free through work as I will use it for work related activities

I should have said couldn't and not can't.

Went into Best Buy today and couldn't find the G Pad. Salesperson didn't act like he even knew what it was and said they usually get new stuff a couple of weeks after release. I wasn't going to buy it today but was disappointed I could get my hands on it and check it out.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Well it's supposed to officially be released today the 3rd. They might have kept it away until today or didn't know it was in the back. I checked which best buy had it in store online first. Not all best buys get the same shipment schedule.
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast