LG G Pad 8.3 Hands-On

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Similar but not the same. N7 has the same processor as my lg og, the snapdragon S4. Gpad has the same processor as the lg g2. A small upgrade but more updated than wwhat's in the N7 and proven much faster.

You got it wrong too, the LG G2 has the Snapdragon 800 while the G2 Pad has the Snapdragon 600.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Similar but not the same. N7 has the same processor as my lg og, the snapdragon S4. Gpad has the same processor as the lg g2. A small upgrade but more updated than wwhat's in the N7 and proven much faster.

G Pad DOES NOT have the same processor as the G2!!

G2 has the Snapdragon 800

G Pad has Snapdragon 600

N7 has Snapdragon S4 Pro

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If the n7 was offered as a 64gb for $350 it would be a lot harder. However, if the gpad was guaranteed to get 4.4 and that full-screen mode in a few weeks, it would be a no brainer.

As it is, I'll probably order the gpad once it shows up on Amazon.

lwood11

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Correct. My original point is that some reviewers slam the G Pad because it doesn't have a Snapdragon 800, then go on to recommend the N7 instead. I haven't heard any of them complain about the processor in N7, even though it's also a Snapdragon 600 variant. And the N7 is clocked slower (although I'm sure you could overclock it if you wanted to). In reality, I doubt that the difference between a Snapdragon 600 vs 800 would be significant. Both of these processors are plenty fast enough to run a tablet.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, also keep in mind the price points. The most expensive Nexus 7 is notably less expensive than the least expensive G Pad. I know there's a difference in screen size but....

lwood11

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I mentioned that price was an advantage for the N7. The way I would look at is that the N7 with 32GB is now selling for $269. The G Pad + a 32Gb sd card would cost about $375, a difference of $106. You would end up with 16Gb more storage on the G Pad in that scenario. Plus, if retailers offer, say, a $50 rebate for G Pad, the price difference would come down to about $56. A lot of people spend that amount just on accessories.

Tablet size is a matter of personal preference, but I find that a 7 inch tablet is just a mistake. I would be willing to pay $106 more for a tablet with what to me is the right size, i.e., around 8 inches. With all of the reviewers complaining about the price, I expect to see some discounting on the G Pad. That would definitely make it worth it for me.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I definitely prefer the Note 8.0 to the Nexus 7 I had. The screen is sharp enough and the S-Pen is all kinds of useful to me in and out of the office.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure the price will drop by years end on the G Pad. But like other tech lovers, I just can't wait that long lol

Colbane

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't think we could see much of a difference in the 600 vs the 800 in performance, but I hear it has better battery consumption technology. Personally, after 4 days of having my GPad, I have no problem with its battery life. I want to put Cyanogenmod on it pretty bad though. I just like starting from a clean slate and customizing from there. The LG skin is still better than the Samsung in my opinion. I'm wondering why folks in some places complain about the sound. Without the headphones I think the speakers sound pretty rich for something so small. I usually use headphones for any serious music or video though.

I wonder when someone will make a ROM for this? I requested a forum at XDA Developers for the GPad (as did quite a few other folks too). The only negative thing I've really paid attention to is rumors that LG takes a long time to release updates. Still, even if I could never put a custom ROM on this device or it didn't get another update, I love this thing. Such a high quality Android tablet. My N7s are with my kids now, and my Touchpads are going on Ebay. :)

lwood11

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any other LG devices, but I took a look at the LG G2 forum on XDA and I saw that there appears to be some custom ROM development going on there. It looks like there is an official CM10 ROM for the LG G2. Since a lot of people compare the G Pad to the G2, I would hope that some good custom ROMs will appear for the G Pad, also. More than anything else, it probably depends on how well it sells. If enough people buy it, I can only think that with the great hardware on this thing, developers will respond.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site

mrstarzan

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Went into Best Buy today and couldn't find the G Pad. Salesperson didn't act like he even knew what it was and said they usually get new stuff a couple of weeks after release. I wasn't going to buy it today but was disappointed I could get my hands on it and check it out.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Well it's supposed to officially be released today the 3rd. They might have kept it away until today or didn't know it was in the back. I checked which best buy had it in store online first. Not all best buys get the same shipment schedule.