LG G Pad 8.3 Hands-On

rizaldi

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Ask them to check on their system using SKU 2159012 (white) or 2193018 (black). Better yet if you check online prior to make sure your store have them in stocks.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I picked up a black one on Friday at my local Best Buy. Their website shows that several in the area have it in stock (Denver area) and they had 4 total at mine. I asked a guy on the floor to get one out of the cage for me and he knew which one I was referring to.

Anyway, I like it overall, the size is very nice and it seems incredibly well-made. It really is impressive how thin and light this thing is for an 8.3 inch screen. In fact it's kind of BS how little credit tech sites are giving it in reviews for its form factor. There's really no other Android tablet that can compete with it from a hardware perspective. With that said, I'm still evaluating if I want to keep it. The performance is snappy, but this thing has a ton of bloatware on it and having owned a nexus 4 I'm kind of spoiled by stock android. But my biggest concern so far is battery life. This thing seems to drain really fast during actual use. I didn't perform any kind of controlled test on it, but last night I started from a 100% charge and dropped 11% in less than an hour of use and it seemed to be draining faster the longer I used it. This was mostly just while browsing with Chrome and the screen set to 65% brightness. I know that's maybe a bit high, but this thing's screen is pretty dark...seriously anything under 50% is just way too dark to use IMO. Anyway, yeah, the only other tablet I have is an original moto xoom wifi that has something like a 6000mah battery and that thing would last for days with regular use so maybe I just need to adjust my expectations, but I've heard people say good things about the Nexus 7 battery life so I was hoping I wouldn't be able to literally sit and watch the battery drain in real-time on this thing. If I take this back I will probably go for an N7 instead and just learn to live with the smaller screen.

How is the battery life so far for everyone else?

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, November 3rd has come and gone and I still don't see this tablet on Amazon or anywhere else other than Best Buy. May have to suck it up and go to BB. *sigh*

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on Tapatalk.

RAHIEM69D

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I have really been enjoying this tablet, but the only issue that I also have is that the screen can be really dark. I would recommend that those who feel the same to download and app called screen adjuster. The app give you the option to adjust the contrast on the tablet, which is just too damn dark by default. Now I have my brightness set at 55%, and I can see everything on the screen (including movies) clearly now.

Great tablet with great battery life! I left it unplugged for about 6 hours fully charged, woke up this morning and it was still at 100%!

gman16000

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
To answer your bloatware question...I just bought the LG 8.3 Pad. It looks like some of the bloatware apps can be uninstalled completely!! This is the first time I'm seeing this on any non-nexus tablet. Some of the "pre-installs" that are normally part of the rom like Polaris Office and LG Smart World can be completely uninstalled (not just "updates" uninstalled). Normally I have to disable those apps but of course you lose the memory associated with them forever when you disable. Removing completely is king.

Thanks LG!! This is a refreshing change. It was not like that on my LG G2. I hope they continue and expand that direction!!

lwood11

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
For people who hate bloatware, my advice would be to root, then freeze any bloatware you don't like. Be patient and somebody will probably put out a custom rom based on the stock rom, but without the bloatware.

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't that require that LG release the source code for the stock rom? is that something they've done in the past, for the G2 for example?

Also, isn't rooting risky until there's a custom recovery for the G Pad? My understanding is that a custom recovery is the only way to unbrick your phone in the event something goes wrong while rooting? Am I correct or no?

RAHIEM69D

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't that require that LG release the source code for the stock rom? is that something they've done in the past, for the G2 for example?

Also, isn't rooting risky until there's a custom recovery for the G Pad? My understanding is that a custom recovery is the only way to unbrick your phone in the event something goes wrong while rooting? Am I correct or no?

I used the Kingo root one-click method. My device was rooted in about 1 minute! :)

lwood11

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I believe that stock firmware becomes available for pretty much all Android devices. If nothing else, any software updates or revisions that LG puts out will be made available to everybody. Adapting stock ROMs is not too difficult. The people who maintain TWRP and CWM for custom recovery extend it for most devices, also. If enough people buy the G Pad, there will almost certainly be support for customized stock ROMs and maybe AOSP ROMs, as well.

L1VESTRONG

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello people, i have the tablet 5 days and all i can say until now is that it worths the money. I also have one issue, when i full charge it and not using the tablet for about 2 hours, then battery life drops 17%. I have done 3 full charges since i bought it with the same result. I wasnt using the tablet for 2 hours and everything was turned off, no apps on the backround. The most strange thing is that after turning on the screen for first time after full charge, then battery loss when idle is i.e 1% overnight. Very strange..

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
u5y3e3et.jpg

Got a package from Korea today. The case fits perfectly. Not quite Cruizerlite quality, but it it fine for now. Made specifically for the G Pad. Will send some pics of it on the device shortly.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie