QPair is crippled with the Verizon G2

jamesoneal

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
One of the reasons I picked up this tablet over others is the QPair feature, to send and receive SMS, get call notifications, and tether data from my phone with a single click from the tablet.

I assumed all of this would work easily, since my phone is an LG G2. It's the Verizon VS980 variant.

Instead, I get a notice on my phone that says: "This phone does not support Internet via phone feature."

And another on the G Pad that says: "Internet via phone in unavailable on the phone paired with QPair for carrier's policy and/or compatibility of your phone model."

I'm on a tiered data plan with Verizon, so I can freely tether without any workarounds or mods, so I don't understand why I get shut out of such a useful feature.

I've only had the tablet for a few hours, and had already considered returning it due to the lag. This is making me more likely to drive back to Best Buy tomorrow and get my money back.

gcyR7nX.jpg
1CD6gCn.jpg

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had one myself on Saturday, Sunday morning I returned for a refund, nice tablet but like you say it has lag, no apps2sd, got really hot also, I was buying it to replace my N7 2013 but after only a few hours I was back to using my N7 2013, I do think the 8 inch form factor is perfect and the screen was stunning, but I couldn't justify keeping it just for that, I also found Qpair to be hit and miss

Posted via Android Central App

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
You may want to try Tablet Talk in the play market. It doesn't support direct phone calling from the tablet (nor does QPair). As for the WiFi hotspot issue, I'm not surprised with Verizon, even if you are on a tiered plan. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan and have my phone rooted with the WiFi hotspot hack so I have no issues. You may want to try something like FoxFi, if you don't want to root your phone. I used to use it but it's been a while so I can't say how good it is with whatever version of Android you're running. I have used google voice for text messaging both from my phone and tablets. It works great and all your messages sync, plus it's free.

There was also a post here that an owner was able to move Dead Trigger 2 to their SD card and play from it. So you can move some apps to SD. Not all apps support this though.

Last edited:

jamesoneal

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
You may want to try Tablet Talk in the play market. It doesn't support direct phone calling from the tablet (nor does QPair). As for the WiFi hotspot issue, I'm not surprised with Verizon, even if you are on a tiered plan. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan and have my phone rooted with the WiFi hotspot hack so I have no issues. You may want to try something like FoxFi, if you don't want to root your phone. I used to use it but it's been a while so I can't say how good it is with whatever version of Android you're running. I have used google voice for text messaging both from my phone and tablets. It works great and all your messages sync, plus it's free.

There was also a post here that an owner was able to move Dead Trigger 2 to their SD card and play from it. So you can move some apps to SD. Not all apps support this though.

My phone is rooted, though I don't need third party tethering hacks because my plan includes tethering. I can use the included wifi hotspot without an issue.

My problem is that I can't tether from the tablet with one click because LG and Verizon decided it was too convenient to allow me to use a feature I already pay for. Instead I have to pick up the phone, navigate to wifi tethering, enable it, and turn the screen off. I want to be able to just pick up the tablet and turn it on with one click via qpair and never touch the phone. That was a selling point for the G Pad.

jamesoneal

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
A easy solution is to install another rom with the international base (I recommend Clean Rom XE)

I tried Cyanogenmod and qpair still would not allow tethering. I'm not sure what it checks for permission. I have no problem tethering with the stock rom with the stock tethering utility, as my plan includes tethering. I'll try clean rom, but I don't have high hopes for different results.

ETA: I looked for Clean Rom XE... it doesn't work on the Verizon variant, so that isn't going to work.

joshuadjohnson22

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I tried Cyanogenmod and qpair still would not allow tethering. I'm not sure what it checks for permission. I have no problem tethering with the stock rom with the stock tethering utility, as my plan includes tethering. I'll try clean rom, but I don't have high hopes for different results.

ETA: I looked for Clean Rom XE... it doesn't work on the Verizon variant, so that isn't going to work.

Ah I just saw multi-variant and didn't see if verizon was added.

See this thread, looks like they have work arounds:
Lg g2 wifi teathering - xda-developers

Personally I would first flash this rom [ROM][9/24][VZW] - CleanROM 1.0 -★| Lean and Clean! | The way it should be! |★- - xda-developers then try following the settings in the above thread

comk4ver

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
If texting was your issue Verizon's messages actually works very well for tablets and now with hangouts dialer you can make calls but only with a plugged in wired headset because LG didn't/couldn't/wouldn't add bluetooth calling.

Sent from my VK410 using Tapatalk

snowboarders

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Try the LG X 2 10.1 tablet from AT&T wish is a vary Inc tablet picked one up and got it off contract price. And qpair works well with my samsung Note 5. All ready tryed it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon