Slimport confirmed

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Got my slimport adapter in yesterday from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Cable Matters Micro USB SlimPort (MyDP) to HDMI Male to Female Adapter with 6 Feet USB Charging Cable: Electronics

Worked like a charm. Just plug and play. Mileage may vary based on your HDTV. My only complaint is I could not see any customization settings on the G Pad like on my Razr Maxx for HDMI. For example, it would be nice to shrink the screen to fully fit the TV. This is useful for older HDTVs that don't have customization settings like this on the TV itself.

Another nice thing was this adapter came with a 6 foot usb charging cable.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk 4

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Can you confirm what the output resolution was? Does it send a true 1920x1080?

Also, if you have Netflix, can you confirm that netflix outputs correctly, without messed up aspect ratio?

-Suntan

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Can you confirm what the output resolution was? Does it send a true 1920x1080?

Also, if you have Netflix, can you confirm that netflix outputs correctly, without messed up aspect ratio?

-Suntan

I'll check after work. I can't hook it up to my 65 inch cause all the HDMI hookups are used and in the back. But I'll hook it up to my 23 inch Asus Monitor. The Vizio I did hook it up to was only 720p.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on Tapatalk.

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Hooked it up to my Asus monitor. Worked great. Black bars on the side but shows entire tablet screen. Netflix streamed just fine. Monitor info said it was 1080 p.

u5eja6ah.jpg

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
No controls are available on the tablet. Just plug and play. I may try it on my 65 inch and see what happens. But it will have to wait as I am out of town this weekend.

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I have not tried it on my 65 inch yet. Been a busy week for me and fumbling with the cables behind it is a PITA given where I have it located. I did hook it up to my folk's 720P (it did read 720P) Sharp HDTV over the weekend and streamed a Netflix movie with no issues. There were black bars on the left and right, and slightly cut-off on the top and bottom affecting the notification bar and soft keys at the bottom, but not enough for me to be concerned, nor affect the movie in any way. If I have some time tonight I'll try to hook it up to my big beast to see how it scales and deals with overscanning.

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Mixed results on the 65 inch Vizio. Got video but no audio. Still had black bars on the sides. Strangely, the slimport works great on my much older 32 inch 720 P Vizio and scales better. These are very common problems with HDMI connections and cables. It can be a real pain. My GNote 10.1 scales better and has audio on my 65 inch. It uses MHL. Go figure.

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Did you try to change the resolution of the GPad? ->Link

Aldarin

Edit: in Android 4.2 you have to use the ActivityManager command "adb shell am display-size" and display-density ;-)

No. I tried the apk file but it wouldn't install. It gave me a parsing error. Until a more elegant solution comes along I'm ok with the pillar boxes. I don't really want to fool with scripting either, unless I really have some free time.

Aldarin

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Got my GPad and slimport adapter this week.
It works well on my Panasonic TV and EIZO Screen (both 1080p) but it gets no sync on my old 720p Samsung TV (LE26R88).

@MightyT
Did you change anything when you hooked it up on your 720p Sharp?

I changed the resolution to 1080x1920 using the "am" command to adjust the output to fit 16:9. The parameters "display-size" and "display-density" are working without rooting the device. :-0

The GPad connects with 1080p 60 Hz - is there any system command on android which let it change to 50Hz?

If you use the stock video player it is not necessary to change the resolution because it makes use of the secondary screen support by the DisplayManager. Any other player like Dice player, MX Player, BS player do not make use of the secondary display support which means that the display is mirrored to the external screen. So it needs the "am" command to fit the screen. Maybe there is another player out there which can handle the second screen?

Youtube, streaming, and playing usual video formats is working fine.

<some stress testing>
I tried to play an 8 bit AVCHD file 1080p50 (4:2:0) with the maximum bitrate of 28 Mbit/s. If the slimport adapter is not connected it works great with Dice player. But when connecting the adapter the audio isn't synchronous anymore. If I have time I will convert the file to MP4. Let's see what happens when playing it with the stock player.

Cheers
Aldarin

MightyT

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I did not try any special commands. Just plug and play. I've found over the years HDMI inputs with various android devices are highly finicky depending on the device, the cable, and/or adapter, plus the TV you plug it into.

To me personally, Motorola did the best with seperate micro HDMI input and cable, plus they have great user control settings when you do plug it in. Sadly everyone is going miracast, MHL, and now Slimport with no user controls.

I may try a different slimport adapter to see if the one I have now is just overly finicky.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Moto did it the best with a dedicated mHDMI port and ability to manually adjust overscan.

I will have to try the default media player. When I plugged mine in and used MX player, I got the pillars.

Anyone try out games with a wireless controller? How much lag does the slimport cause?

-Suntan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke