1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen comparison and Issues N7 2 vs LG Pad 8.3

Could any of you please give a heads-up on the screen, on the LG 8.3 - light bleeding etc. and also elaborate on the thin black line around it that is mentioned in quite a few reviews?
    I returned my Nexus' (two pcs) 7 2 because of to much light-bleed and dead pixels - which simply ruin the whole experience?

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

Default Re: Screen comparison and Issues N7 2 vs LG Pad 8.3

Screen comparison and Issues  N7 2 vs LG Pad 8.3-nexusae0_wm_gpad-1.jpg

Are you on about that black line around it? If so, that's on almost every device I believe... It's on the ipad mini etc too

This is not an issue. I have the same black frame on nexus 7. But it's hard to see on a black device.
    Last edited by Drak_h; 11-09-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drak_h View Post
    This is not an issue. I have the same black frame on nexus 7. But it's har to se on a black device.
    Part the reason I buy black devices so that you don't see it... that and I prefer them
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes. The thing is though, that the black line around my Nexus' was spoiled by serious light-bleeding, which made a poorly device for i.e. watching movies on.

This is on every single device out there. It's just easier to not notice when you've got a black device. Looking at the GS3 and Galaxy Note 8 next to me in white, they both have the "black frame".

Completely normal.

I took my first one back for excessive light bleed in both top corners the top right in particular my second one has next to no light bleed. I had no issues with either having dead pixels. If I had one with a dead pixel it would go straight back for an exchange. I also have the black model so the black line around the screen is not an issue you don't see it on the black model.

They didn't have the black. So had to be white 😛

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I've had the '13 Nexus 7 and now this LG G Pad and there's really no comparison, as far as I'm concerned. To me the G Pad is the far far superior device.
    Live long and prosper.

I'm disappointed with the screen - it's very dim relative to the Note 8 and Nexus 7, both of which can be used well in daylight (I'm not saying direct sunlight, just that in shade on a sunny day they're highly readable.) This guy is an indoor-only device and best used after dark.

I don't like the color balance much, either. It's addressable (somewhat) if you root and use the Faux or Trickster apps - both of which give you RGB control.

I'm sorry I'm not liking this - the 8 inch size is very nice for me and I'd hoped this would be an upgrade relative to the Note that the dog cracked the screen on.

Quote Originally Posted by roustabout View Post
    I don't like the color balance much, either. It's addressable (somewhat) if you root and use the Faux or Trickster apps - both of which give you RGB control.
    Do these work on the 8.3 to give you access to make changes to the actual gamma of the screen?

-Suntan

You must have gotten a lemon. The screen is beautiful and what everyone raves about, including the major and minor reviewers. Its equal to the nexus 7 2 which I also have and better than the note 8.
    I'm disappointed with the screen - it's very dim relative to the Note 8 and Nexus 7, both of which can be used well in daylight (I'm not saying direct sunlight, just that in shade on a sunny day they're highly readable.) This guy is an indoor-only device and best used after dark.

I'm sorry I'm not liking this - the 8 inch size is very nice for me and I'd hoped this would be an upgrade relative to the Note that the dog cracked the screen on.

I was concerned about this myself....haven't purchased yet but was concerned about the screen brightness

Posted via Android Central App

Try screen adjuster on the play market. Don't need root for it.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on Tapatalk.
    Phone: Rooted Droid Razr Maxx; Tablets: Nexus 7.1, Galaxy Note 10.1, Rooted LG G Pad 8.3

Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    You must have gotten a lemon. The screen is beautiful and what everyone raves about, including the major and minor reviewers. Its equal to the nexus 7 2 which I also have and better than the note 8.
    The *resolution* of the screen is equal to the N7 (which I own) but the *brightness* is not.

"Cons: Dim display"

The gpad has a display of less than 300 lux brightness. The Note and Nexus have displays well over that.

Laptop reports the N 7 2013 display is 531 lux, and the Note 8 is 489.

I have seen folks who really like the color balance on the gpad. It is better out of the box than the N7 was. Fortunately, this color can be adjusted, and so can the n7 color using the right kernel.

Unfortunately, the n7 display is just a bit too small for my taste.

I actually think Samsung's display looks like it has better color balance out of the box than either of the others. I have not calibrated any of the three, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyT View Post
    Try screen adjuster on the play market. Don't need root for it.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on Tapatalk.
    I tried this already on mine and it doesn't really fix the problem. It ups the contrast so that the colors are lighter, but it doesn't do anything to increase the brightness of the backlight which is the real problem with the screen. Overall it's not like the screen is bad or unusable, but it's kind of ridiculous how dark it is below 50% brightness. Anything less than 50% is almost unusable.

I can get away with 25% brightness in my office, although i dont keep it that low lol. 50% in car and in meetings that i need to show documents to others. 80% to play movies and dark games at least though, like Dead Trigger and Shadowgun.

i can see it being a problem for some.

I do agree the screen brightness is on the low side and a little disappointing but in no way a deal breaker for me. I hardly ever use my tablet outside so that is not an issue for me. I keep mine set to 60% by comparison my Samsung Tab 3 8 inch I could put it down to below 40% and it would be just as bright as my G Pad at 60%.

Global Posts
    6,219 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I do notice it doesn't get as bright as other devices I've used. I really noticed that today.when I was out and about with it in the mall.

G Pro
    Live long and prosper.

Compared to the first generation nexus 7, which i uprgraded fron, this is amazing. I cant see any pixels and the screen is plenty bright for me.
    Thanked by: