Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default G PAD get KitKat!

From another forum:
    "LG
    Good news, the LG G2 Android 4.4 KitKat update is real. Given that LG built the past two Nexus devices, we were a little hopeful.
    LG has reiterated that the Nexus 4 is expected to receive its update in the next few weeks, whilst also confirming the LG G2 will get Android 4.4 KitKat, saying "the date for the G2 update is yet to be confirmed".
    Other LG devices, including the LG G Pad 8.3 and its Optimus range could also be set of a refresh, with Android 4.4 KitKat supporting devices with RAM as low as 512MB."

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: G PAD get KitKat!

Well, it'd be nice to see 4.4 on my G Pad but I'm quite happy with 4.3 so LG needn't rush on my account.
    Live long and prosper.

Can't wait for Kit Kat!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Well, it'd be nice to see 4.4 on my G Pad but I'm quite happy with 4.3 so LG needn't rush on my account.
    G Pad runs 4.2.2

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by kalo88 View Post
    G Pad runs 4.2.2
    LOL. I just got it two days ago, well, I've still no complaints. Ya know, being a gadget-ho is hard work.
    Live long and prosper.

Bear in mind also that google changed how Android handles security in 4.3. It broke root for those of us with an N7.1. It requires a reflash of a rooted stock recovery. Not as easy as previous one click methods as we now have with the G Pad and Kingo Root.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk 4
    Phone: Rooted Droid Razr Maxx; Tablets: Nexus 7.1, Galaxy Note 10.1, Rooted LG G Pad 8.3

Just for clarity, some random person on another forum commented that the 8.3 might get 4.4?

Fair enough I guess... Just checking expectations.

-Suntan

I doubt the g pad will be updated very soon if at all. The phone more likely. Tablets are not an lg priority. But the glad is great except for battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    LOL. I just got it two days ago, well, I've still no complaints. Ya know, being a gadget-ho is hard work.
    Pimpin ain't easy!

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    Haalcyon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Just for clarity, some random person on another forum commented that the 8.3 might get 4.4?

Fair enough I guess... Just checking expectations.

-Suntan

According to this, might be a while but looks promising to eventually get it.

"LG G2, G Pad and Optimus

South Korean tech company, LG Electronics, hasn't announced any schedule or details regarding Android 4.4 KitKat update but certain devices such as G2, G Pad and Optimus series are likely getting the latest software.

LG Nexus 5 is currently stealing the Android spotlight due to its newest running operating system version that everyone wants to get as soon as possible. As of now, Nexus 5 will be the main priority and expected to be followed by G2 once other Nexus devices have gained the new software."

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

If LG's previous attempts of updating their devices is anything to go by... don't hold your breath =/

Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    I doubt the g pad will be updated very soon if at all. The phone more likely. Tablets are not an lg priority. But the glad is great except for battery life.
    a few sites say December for the G2. Given LGs track record, this might mean late Q1 AT THE EARLIEST for the G Pro and G Pad since they need to work on the Nexus 4 still.
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

It's ironic that the hardware manufacturers are stuffing 3 gigs of RAM into the newer devices and Google is finally optimizing the OS to run on 512mb. What are we going to do with all that extra RAM that we are paying for☺

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kalo88 View Post
    If LG's previous attempts of updating their devices is anything to go by... don't hold your breath =/
    LG Optimus G came out in November last year with ICS and got JB in April. Long time but still happened lol

Mine's probably going to go back toward the end of the week, but I'm happy to keep plonking away at it for a bit.

It feels notably more prone to system slowdown than the N7 (2013) and the Note 8. The display is much dimmer than either
    of those. I like that the kernel lets you adjust the color balance (using trickster mod + root) but given LG's update history
    and the fact that I don't think you can fix the brightness level in a software patch I think this one's going back before long.

If the dog hadn't cracked the screen on the Note 8, I wouldn't have this device - I'm disappointed, as I was hoping it'd be a major
    step up from that device (which still works somewhat, but is clearly on its last legs.)

Using the interactive governor rather than ondemand helps performance but at the cost of battery. The biggest cost of battery, though, is
    the display which often needs to be dialed up to fairly high brightness levels to be useful.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erwaso View Post
    LG Optimus G came out in November last year with ICS and got JB in April. Long time but still happened lol
    It didn't get the latest version and it's the cousin phone to the Nexus 4 meaning LG had access to the latest software =/

You got a bad screen. Exchange for another. The screen is great. Of course you cud be a troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by roustabout View Post
    Mine's probably going to go back toward the end of the week, but I'm happy to keep plonking away at it for a bit.

It feels notably more prone to system slowdown than the N7 (2013) and the Note 8. The display is much dimmer than either
    of those. I like that the kernel lets you adjust the color balance (using trickster mod + root) but given LG's update history
    and the fact that I don't think you can fix the brightness level in a software patch I think this one's going back before long.

If the dog hadn't cracked the screen on the Note 8, I wouldn't have this device - I'm disappointed, as I was hoping it'd be a major
    step up from that device (which still works somewhat, but is clearly on its last legs.)

Using the interactive governor rather than ondemand helps performance but at the cost of battery. The biggest cost of battery, though, is
    the display which often needs to be dialed up to fairly high brightness levels to be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    You got a bad screen. Exchange for another. The screen is great. Of course you cud be a troll.
    Not talking about resolution, talking about brightness and color balance.

The device reviews from a single source (laptop magazine) have the gpad screen as below 300 lux, the Note 8 at almost 500 lux and the N 7 (2013) is over 500 lux.

My note 8 uses an overclocked kernel to run at 1.9 ghz which may be part of why the gpad doesn't feel that much faster, and the early
    iteration of the N8 software did have some lag. There have been three updates since the device was released in April, though.

no he didn't. Look around at some reviews (both professional and personal). This screen's backlight is much dimmer than comparable tablets. He's not saying the screen is bad. I found that the colors and sharpness are very good, but the screen is very dark. Compare the G Pad at 50% brightness to a N7 at 50% brightness and the G Pad will look much darker.

Thats true re n7 v. Gpad at 50% brightness. Big difference. So questionable battery time and questionable backlight. Hmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
    no he didn't. Look around at some reviews (both professional and personal). This screen's backlight is much dimmer than comparable tablets. He's not saying the screen is bad. I found that the colors and sharpness are very good, but the screen is very dark. Compare the G Pad at 50% brightness to a N7 at 50% brightness and the G Pad will look much darker.

hope they skip 4.3 and go right to 4.4. I had a first gen nex 7 that is now running 4.3. Im very happy with 4.2.2 on the g p pad and surprisingly like lg's modifications. The reviews on this tablet surprise me. Its the best small to mid range tablet on the market by far, Imo
    Thanked by:
    Drak_h 

Quote Originally Posted by knrstz64 View Post
    hope they skip 4.3 and go right to 4.4. I had a first gen nex 7 that is now running 4.3. Im very happy with 4.2.2 on the g p pad and surprisingly like lg's modifications. The reviews on this tablet surprise me. Its the best small to mid range tablet on the market by far, Imo
    I think there is a real chance they may do that!

Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by davcole View Post
    I think there is a real chance they may do that!

I don't see why they would bother with 4.3 especially since they have first access to 4.4.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using Tapatalk

LG would need to do something life that to show the are a player on the tablet game and equal to Samsung!

Global Posts
    6,211 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by davcole View Post
    LG would need to do something life that to show the are a player on the tablet game and equal to Samsung!

The G Pad exceeds Samsung's Tab 3 8.0 in every conceivable way except price. IMO it is worth $70 premium ($280 vs $350).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Live long and prosper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast