LG G Pad 8.3 - SD card issue?

CWobbles

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Loving my shiny new pad however slight issue that is really bugging me now. I bought a 64GB micro SD card for it, a proper Sandisk class 10. Plug it in, lovely, but off and on it loses the card , says unexpectedly removed and then picks it up again straight after... this interrupts backups and so on. The card works fine in my laptop and other devices... Any thoughts?

stevenkisor1

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: SD card issue?

I'm sorry you're having problems, but I'm glad you started this thread. Sorry I can't help, but I wanted to ask questions about all the different microSD cards available.
I understand I need the fastest card possible for read/write data speeds. But thats where the confusion comes in for me... if they're all (the ones I'm looking at) are rated "class 10 UHS-1" then why the differences?

For example,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E1...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3259599

looks to be a good deal, and its from Sony, with Sony as the retailer, not some unknown source.

But then there's the "pro" versions that say faster read/write times, but still rated "class 10 UHS-1" such as
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009S...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3259599

or the "extreme" version at a higher price but with same ratings,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D6...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3259599

Could someone please help clear this up for me....

I plan on getting my G Pad this weekend at Best Buy, but only if they'll price-match Newegg's price...
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16834325004&token=FljPQcNv

Thanks....

Posted via Android Central App

jamesoneal

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Loving my shiny new pad however slight issue that is really bugging me now. I bought a 64GB micro SD card for it, a proper Sandisk class 10. Plug it in, lovely, but off and on it loses the card , says unexpectedly removed and then picks it up again straight after... this interrupts backups and so on. The card works fine in my laptop and other devices... Any thoughts?

Edited to add: Wow. This thread really got thread-jacked. You guys need to take your SD card pricing banter elsewhere.

I returned my G Pad. It worked fine with a 16gb Samsung microsd. However, with a 64gb Samsung, it would claim it was removed and inserted every few seconds. The card works fine in any other device I've tried it in, so I blame the G Pad, especially after reading of your experience. Between QPair being crippled. the dim screen, lag, and flaky MicroSDXC support, I really think this thing is half-baked. I planned to use mine extensively outdoors, and the dim screen didn't cut it. The microSD problems sealed the deal and back to Best Buy it went. I bought and returned a Nexus 7 2013 as well close to the release date. The screen was fantastic(super bright), but I couldn't deal with the non-functional GPS(now fixed), and random reboots(not fixed AFAIK).

I love my G2, but I think I'm going to go with an LTE Retina iPad mini. It sucks that you have to buy a cellular version to get GPS, but I guess you have to pay to play. For me either everything needs to work, or I'm not going to buy it.

ETA: AFAIK, the Samsung microsd cards are much faster than any other brand. Too bad it doesn't work in the G Pad.

SMJ_01

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

i just got the tablet. loving it. All the people that say it is too dark, i personally think it is fine and can always turn the brightness up if i want.

I tried an old SD card in mine from my previous phone but it did not acknowledge the card?

Do you have to have a specific type of microsd?

schalmers

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

Hi, Has anyone found a 64GB microSD card that works flawlessly with the G Pad 8.3? I have been reading about issues people are having with the Sandisk 64GB card and I am curious if all 64GB cards have issues or only the Sandisk? Personally I have ordered the Sandisk but it has not yet arrived (neither the LG Pad) but I am wondering if I should return the Sandisk for another brand if there is one that works correctly. Thank you for any advise / feedback you can give regarding 64 GB cards you have used. I see above 1 person said the Samsung 64gb was working ok? Others with the Samsung confirm no issues?

cbb77

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

One of thing you guys have failed to mention is what format do you have the card in. I am also running the SanDisk 64 GB card and have had zero issues. I have a ton of stuff on it, movies, games, backups and have been successfully writing to executing games off of it. I have my card formatted in exFat. This way it allows larger files sizes for my movies. In any case, no issues on my G Pad thus far; been using it for a few weeks now like this. If you are using FAT32 I would recommend changing it to exFAT. I know FAT32 provides greater compatibility but I recall reading on the XDA forums that this has caused issues with 64GB cards. I experienced the same problem when using in my older Galaxy Tab. exFAT has proved to be more reliable for larger cards.

Last edited:

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

Been using a SanDisk 64gb card myself with no issues so far.. As stated by the previous user, it might be related to the format of the card... Quick thought... Formatting the card from the gpad settings might convert it to something more compatible perhaps??

@Nexus5

Nick Adams3

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The LG G-Pad supports 64GB memory total. You have to include the 16GB internal memory in the total. I have been using a 32GB card since late October with no problems.

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I am having the SD card "0 bytes available" issue. Is there a solution for that yet? I am on 4.4.2.

In my case, it is a 64 GB SanDisk Ultra. It happened with the original exFAT format and it still happens with FAT32. The card works fine at first, but after a while it shows 0 bytes size and available. Unmounting, ejecting, reinsert does not fix it. Even inserting a different (32 GB) card shows the same problem then. Have to reboot to fix this (for a while).

DJ BadHair

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I recently started to get an "error writing buffer" on my SanDisk 64gb formatted in exFat, and have not been able to move files to the card with any of the file managers (astro, ES3, even the stock it came with.) I thought since I upgraded to 4.4.2 that maybe I should just run a tablet reset and that would take care of it, but I still get the error no matter what size card. Called SanDisk and they say it looks like a problem with the Gpad.

bagwomen5

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I used the SD card the whole first week I got the GPAD last week watching videos and music that is on it with no problem at all. Now it reads empty until I restart the tablet.
I tried to unmount, remove the card, shut down system. Then turn back on, mount the card and insert it. Works fine again until the tablet goes back in sleep mode.
Is there another fix to try or should I just send it back?

Thanks!

redbandit98

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I actually just posted a problem similar to this..I should have read around a bit and found this thread. Any new news? I have a tabtlet thats doing the same thing it seems. My card was working fine then it just died. Wont recognize it, tried rebooting etc. Nothing works.

DCal2722

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

I don't believe this is a "64GB SD Card" issue as I have experienced the same problem with two Samsung EVO 64gb Micro SDXC cards and then I installed a SanDisk 16GB SDHC card that I have had for at least a couple of years, and it also ended up showing that it went bad. I was able to correct these issues by doing a Full Format

Last edited:

DCal2722

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi Redbandit, did you find a fix for the problem with the SD Cards and the G Pad? If not I think I have the solution, I have two of these 8,3's and after I updated the OS to KitKat 4.4.2, by way of the "update" dialog on the device, neither of them would keep a working 64gb SDXC card running for more than 18 hours, then it would show as needing to be formatted and sometimes as simply needing to be "mounted", but would not actually mount until the card was erased completely. This all eventually killed on of my new Samsung EVO 64GB Micro SDXC class 10 cards completely, which is not a cheap card to have die after only 5 days. But I think I have found the origin of the problem and the way to correct it. I opened the LG PC Suite on my PC and went to the area "Mobile Device" which is where you can do "Update" for the OS, but directly below that choice is one that reads "restore or correct Update Errors" and this is what I think fixed the problem that originated from Updating "OTA" because that was the result for TWO G Pad 8.3's. I have to say that it took only 20 min for the first one the complete the process, but the second one was very different, as I had to keep re-running the update / repair dialog at least 10 times, at times between re-boots and finally it took and the SD Card appears to be stable, at least it does thus far! If you have any questions I will answer anything I can... good luck. Daniel

DCal2722

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I think these sd card issues all stem from updating the G Pad from within the device, I just bought two of these and updated from the "About" dialog in settings and BOTH ENDED UP WITH THE PROBLEM. Then I opened the LG PC Suite application and used the "Restore Upgrade Errors" which is in "Mobile Device" dialog. It took about 16 attempts on the second Tablet but it finally worked and I am now going on 48 hours without the SD going bad whereas it would screw up after 6 to 8 hours every time, I have also done multiple reboots trying to get it to go bad if its going to and nothing! I think ITS FIXED!!! I hope..... oh I should be specific, I am pretty sure that the problem, is the OTA upgrade process that is corrupt of something cuz like I said it happened to two brand new G Pad 8.3's at the same time after I updated to KitKat OTA and the PC version corrected the problem as far as I can tell so far. Now I can send one of them to my son for Christmas present at school I hope this can help someone and Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995