Lipsync issues when streaming Netflix?

Sarge_swe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've read that some people are experiencing audio issues with Netflix. It seems like the lipsync is offbeat. I'm considering getting the Gpad, but if this is true it certainly is a deal-breaker.

How is Netflix on the gpad working out for y'all?

EDIT: added a word.

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. I haven't personally noticed any lip sync issues (this is on my S3 or Nexus 7 2013), but that doesn't mean there aren't on some devices or that a particular title doesn't have a bad encode. Maybe if you could point me to some examples where people are saying this, I could check out the titles in question and report back if it's a device thing or a title thing (of course, there are different encodes for different devices and quality so it won't really be conclusive either way, I guess)

Sarge_swe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thanks, EvilMonkey!

Yeah, no, I have no issues regarding off beat lipsync on my HTC One, as well. But I've both heard from a friend and read a complaint on XDA concerning this issue on the Gpad. So the question is how other Gpad-users are experiencing the audio playback in Netflix?

stevenkisor1

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've read that some people are experiencing audio issues with Netflix. It seems like the lipsync is offbeat. I'm considering getting the Gpad, but if this is true it certainly is a deal-breaker.

How is Netflix on the gpad working out for y'all?

EDIT: added a word.

I just tried Netflix again on my G-Pad to see if there is an audio delay.... yes, but extremely minimal. I tried several different videos ( some movie, some TV shows etc) and it varies. But I had to actually look (and listen) for it, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed.
The issue must be (I would think) a time-sync issue in the Netflix app. I use Xfinity Go app to stream live news and and on-demand video with no audio lag whatsoever. I just used it again, and the audio is sync'd perfectly with the video.

Otherwise, after owning and extensively using the G-Pad for 1 week (post surgery, so this is all I'm able to do) I am convinced it's the best mid-sized tablet!
If the Netflix issue is a big concern for you, I'd suggest trying it out for yourself, to see if its a deal-breaker. And keep in mind, there may always be a fix or update right around the corner.

Posted via Android Central App

Dale Atwater

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I didn't notice any audio sync issues last night - but I wasn't really looking for it - I did, however, notice an occasional "skipped frame" effect - maybe once or twice a minute. Might be a connection issue though on that one.

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
There are NO lipsync issues and i have TWO gpads bought from two different vendors two weeks apart. Plus i've never seen any such criticism about such an issue.

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Now that I look for it maybe the audio is off a tiny bit but really it could just be me I would not consider it a deal breaker and have noticed this with other tablets. I did notice a few skipped frames when watching HD movies but again not a deal breaker for me.

Sarge_swe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I think a lot of people appreciate that you took time to check this up and review it.

Yesterday I got my hands on this baby. Borrowed a white one from a friend. It's a "Not for sale" device because he works in retail. Of course, the first thing I tried - after about a hundred other first things like signing up accounts and updating apps and fiddling with themes - I tried streaming Netflix.

I played different content and got different results. Jericho had significant lipsync issues, Modern Family had a notable delay in audio, while House of Cards and Breaking Bad had no or next to no delay at all.

So, yeah, the delay is present depending on the content. However, when connecting to a bluetooth speaker and playing Netflix the delay was at least a half a second, which renders the whole thing unwatchable. I only tried House of cards, but it was enough proof. Bluetooth devices often have a delay, but this was significant.

So now the main question is whether this is hardware or software related?

chrispitude

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Here are my own experiences with Android and Bluetooth audio.

Some video material itself has an inherent lip-sync issue that will show up no matter what you play it back with, so you have to rule that out. However, there is also a known lip-sync delay bug with the Android Netflix client and Bluetooth audio devices. I have tried the following Android devices:

• Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android 4.4.2)
  • Nexus 7 2013 (rev2) (Android 5.0.2)
  • Hisense Sero 7 Pro (Android 4.2.1)

with the following Bluetooth audio devices:

• Monoprice 11947 On-The-Ear Headphones
  • Monoprice 10585 Premium On-The-Ear Headphones
  • Creative D80 Portable Speaker

There is a significant lip-sync delay (anywhere from 1/4s to 1/2s) with the Android Netflix client with all combinations of these that I have tried. With these same Android devices and Bluetooth audio devices, the following apps play back perfectly with no lip-sync issues:

• Amazon Video
  • Hulu
  • TiVo Roamio Streaming
  • YouTube
  • Native Android video player
  • Other Android apps (games, etc.)

The only combination with a lip-sync delay is the Android Netflix client with a Bluetooth audio device. Wired headphones are fine. I also tried the iPhone Netflix app with the Bluetooth audio devices and that plays back fine, so this is a problem only with their Android client.

Bluetooth itself has a 3ms latency; the delay is not a Bluetooth problem. In games with sound effects, they happen immediately through Bluetooth audio.

I called into the Netflix customer service department so many times. Every time, the same script - clear the app cache, restart the Android device, charge the battery in the Bluetooth device, power-cycle the router and cablemodem, unpair and repair the devices, etc. Some customer service reps told me it was normal Bluetooth behavior (it is not - the latency is 3ms), most told me it was the Bluetooth interfering with the Wifi connection (wat?). I repeatedly explained my testing results (long) and how it entirely points to a software issue. After many calls, I begged the rep to contact the next-level support to report this as a bug, and finally got confirmation that their Android client "has some issues" with Bluetooth audio, but no mention of a fix.

So there you have it. Call into Netflix customer support, repeatedly! Maybe we can get them to fix the problem.

g2_havok

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
i also experience minuscule bit of lip sync but really not noticeable if i'm not looking for it.

i also experience the skip frame hiccup on all content.

i didn't experience this until recent updates to the netflix app. my assumption is there's some bugginess with the app, not the tablet.

Pantherabast

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
argh... the first time I played netflix on this tablet, i noticed a HUGE lypsync problem. it was so bad, i wanted to throw this tablet into a wall. i heard audio tick every 10-15 seconds. haven't tried watching netflix ever since. just checked it again after seeing this thread, and within 1 mins had 2 sound ticks. not as bad as earlier updates, but still i wouldn't use netflix on it till they fix it. if you are looking to get a tablet just for netflix, G Pad aint it. but i read people with other Androids are like this too when it comes to netflix. better do more research on another tablet. cuz my G Pad and netflix don't mix.

Shawn_S

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I've just set up a G Pad and will pay close attention in the coming weeks. I did start a few tv programs just to make sure everything worked. In my very limited time I didn't notice any lip sync issues.

ccristal

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Here are my own experiences with Android and Bluetooth audio.

Some video material itself has an inherent lip-sync issue that will show up no matter what you play it back with, so you have to rule that out. However, there is also a known lip-sync delay bug with the Android Netflix client and Bluetooth audio devices. I have tried the following Android devices:

• Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android 4.4.2)
  • Nexus 7 2013 (rev2) (Android 5.0.2)
  • Hisense Sero 7 Pro (Android 4.2.1)

with the following Bluetooth audio devices:

• Monoprice 11947 On-The-Ear Headphones
  • Monoprice 10585 Premium On-The-Ear Headphones
  • Creative D80 Portable Speaker

There is a significant lip-sync delay (anywhere from 1/4s to 1/2s) with the Android Netflix client with all combinations of these that I have tried. With these same Android devices and Bluetooth audio devices, the following apps play back perfectly with no lip-sync issues:

• Amazon Video
  • Hulu
  • TiVo Roamio Streaming
  • YouTube
  • Native Android video player
  • Other Android apps (games, etc.)

The only combination with a lip-sync delay is the Android Netflix client with a Bluetooth audio device. Wired headphones are fine. I also tried the iPhone Netflix app with the Bluetooth audio devices and that plays back fine, so this is a problem only with their Android client.

Bluetooth itself has a 3ms latency; the delay is not a Bluetooth problem. In games with sound effects, they happen immediately through Bluetooth audio.

I called into the Netflix customer service department so many times. Every time, the same script - clear the app cache, restart the Android device, charge the battery in the Bluetooth device, power-cycle the router and cablemodem, unpair and repair the devices, etc. Some customer service reps told me it was normal Bluetooth behavior (it is not - the latency is 3ms), most told me it was the Bluetooth interfering with the Wifi connection (wat?). I repeatedly explained my testing results (long) and how it entirely points to a software issue. After many calls, I begged the rep to contact the next-level support to report this as a bug, and finally got confirmation that their Android client "has some issues" with Bluetooth audio, but no mention of a fix.

So there you have it. Call into Netflix customer support, repeatedly! Maybe we can get them to fix the problem.

I spoke to their customer support yesterday and somehow convinced them to actually take a look at the code. The issue has been escalated to their VP of Customer Support, who is now aware. I will keep you posted with any development.